Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,221 times

Advertisements

I have found that Sonora Quest testing menu is not as extensive as Theranos. I have a health condition that I like to monitor and Sonora Quest does not offer the particular lab that I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:24 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie78 View Post
I have found that Sonora Quest testing menu is not as extensive as Theranos. I have a health condition that I like to monitor and Sonora Quest does not offer the particular lab that I need.
You'll need to find a new source for those tests pretty soon. The WSJ is saying that the company is under criminal investigation.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
can anybody give a quick summary of why Theranos got in trouble??....

was it poor testing conditions (inaccurate results)?....or fraud in billing the govt.?.....or what?.....

a couple posters above seem to think the test results are good, so am wondering if they are still ok to use for basic blood tests.....

thanks
Here's an article:

Everything You Need to Know About the Theranos Saga So Far

The general gist: Theranos’ technology was not what it seemed. In fact, the company’s blood testing device, a machine called Edison, couldn’t accurately detect enough molecules in blood samples to provide accurate readouts. Blood behaves differently in small volumes, more like a pile of M&M’s coated in honey than a proper fluid. Edison couldn’t get things right, sources told Carreyrou, so Theranos had been diluting samples taken via the fingerstick and running them through blood testing devices manufactured by Siemens1—the same type of equipment used by every other blood testing company. And in fact, Theranos was using these off the shelf machines to run most of its tests.

They never did double blind studies in peer-reviewed journals showing that their technology ever really worked. They kept saying that their technology was proprietary and they could not reveal how their Edison machine worked (hint, it didn't). Many people got skeptical so that's when the The Wall Street Journal published an expose, which eventually took the company down.

Last edited by cjseliga; 07-23-2016 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 AM

18 posts, read 33,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Here's an article:

Everything You Need to Know About the Theranos Saga So Far

The general gist: Theranos’ technology was not what it seemed. In fact, the company’s blood testing device, a machine called Edison, couldn’t accurately detect enough molecules in blood samples to provide accurate readouts. Blood behaves differently in small volumes, more like a pile of M&M’s coated in honey than a proper fluid. Edison couldn’t get things right, sources told Carreyrou, so Theranos had been diluting samples taken via the fingerstick and running them through blood testing devices manufactured by Siemens1—the same type of equipment used by every other blood testing company. And in fact, Theranos was using these off the shelf machines to run most of its tests.

They never did double blind studies in peer-reviewed journals showing that their technology ever really worked. They kept saying that their technology was proprietary and they could not reveal how their Edison machine worked (hint, it didn't). Many people got skeptical so that's when the The Wall Street Journal published an expose, which eventually took the company down.
It's all smoke and mirrors. Two years of test results voided.

I would take any Theranos blood test with a huge grain of salt and have some real blood work done.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:15 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie78 View Post
Sonora Quest is part of Quest Diagnostics. So you can order any test that is a part of Quest Diagnostics that is run through the Tempe lab. These are not all on the Sonora Quest test menu but you can order them.

Essentially, the companies results were inconsistent and there were huge deviations in results when compared to comparable labs. In short, their technology was not well vetted and released too early to the market. When they further investigated, they found a lot of flaws. One thing most people didn't know is the majority of their tests involved standard venous blood draws and not the finger stick that they became famous for. They were cited for that.

This company reminded me of a lot of dotcoms. It had inflated early high valuations and brought a lot of hype that created a snowball effect. After the FDA, CMS, New York Times and Washington Post came down on them, the company has plummeted. Their once billionaire founder now has a net worth of 0. That's how far that company has fallen. I don't think they will recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Mostly accused of inaccurate results but my results were dead on with my physicians at a fraction of the cost. It's nice to be able to check your levels through the year especially if you're watching specific ones.
Not "accused" but rather proven hence the reason the FDA and CMS came down on them. Here is a list of their sanctions. The last one is significant because private insurance companies base their reimbursement on Medicare rates. And if Medicare is not participating, most private insurance will follow suit so essentially, they will have to rely completely on self pay cash patients only for the next 2 years. You simply cannot survive on that.
  • Revocation of the laboratory’s certificate under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments, a 1988 set of regulatory standards. This automatically means owners and operators of the lab are banned from owning, operating, or directing a lab for at least two years.
  • A civil money penalty (Theranos does not say how much).
  • A plan of correction
  • Suspension of the laboratory’s approval to receive any payments from Medicare and Medicaid.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-24-2016 at 12:31 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Note that LabCorp is also an option as well (that is the lab I use) if you don't like Sonora Quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area