Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,417 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Illinois from Phoenix soon and will be driving a 10' Uhaul box truck while pulling my car. Google maps has me going from Phoenix through Payson and Holbrook. Is this a good route for what I am driving? Never driven a Uhaul before. I think the other routes would be I-17 to Flagstaff to I-40. Or if I want to avoid most hills I could go to Tuscon then cut back north. When I moved here I came up from Tucson while pulling a trailer with my pickup and it was ok but that adds some time to the trip. I've driven to flagstaff in my car a few times but I am a little nervous about the mountains with a Uhaul and trailer. What route would you take? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Dustonious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustonious View Post
I am moving to Illinois from Phoenix soon and will be driving a 10' Uhaul box truck while pulling my car. Google maps has me going from Phoenix through Payson and Holbrook. Is this a good route for what I am driving? Never driven a Uhaul before. I think the other routes would be I-17 to Flagstaff to I-40. Or if I want to avoid most hills I could go to Tuscon then cut back north. When I moved here I came up from Tucson while pulling a trailer with my pickup and it was ok but that adds some time to the trip. I've driven to flagstaff in my car a few times but I am a little nervous about the mountains with a Uhaul and trailer. What route would you take? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Dustonious
I do the Holbrook/Heber/Payson route with a tractor trailer, you should have no problem with a Uhaul

Old 07-28-2016, 01:59 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
I can't think why you would not stick to the interstates. Faster, less fatiguing driving, no problems with very slow drivers in front or very impatient drivers in back. The savings in distance are small and saving in time probably nonexistent.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I can't think why you would not stick to the interstates. Faster, less fatiguing driving, no problems with very slow drivers in front or very impatient drivers in back. The savings in distance are small and saving in time probably nonexistent.
Actually, it saves 40 miles to downtown&west valley, 50+ miles to the east valley, and 70 miles to Casa Grande/Maricopa, and it is a good road

Old 07-28-2016, 02:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually, it saves 40 miles to downtown&west valley, 50+ miles to the east valley, and 70 miles to Casa Grande/Maricopa, and it is a good road

Good, but narrow in places (and not just Salt River Canyon) I would use the interstate. What you gain in miles you save in time and aggravation.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Good, but narrow in places (and not just Salt River Canyon) I would use the interstate. What you gain in miles you save in time and aggravation.
We are talking 87 to 260 to 277 to 377, it's not like 60 east of Superior or SRC, no hairpins and 87 is 4 lane divided from Payson to Mesa.

Those miles add up, plus less traffic. You do not save time going through Flag, otherwise I wouldn't go through Payson&Heber, because I have to make as good time as possible driving a semi, so take it from a professional driver

Old 07-28-2016, 03:24 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We are talking 87 to 260 to 277 to 377, it's not like 60 east of Superior or SRC, no hairpins and 87 is 4 lane divided from Payson to Mesa.

Those miles add up, plus less traffic. You do not save time going through Flag, otherwise I wouldn't go through Payson&Heber, because I have to make as good time as possible driving a semi, so take it from a professional driver
OP: I've driven that very route driving to/from Illinois. Yes it's fine as long as you go the route he posted and you are going to go through some mountains driving up the 17 up to Flagstaff, anyway. I've done a couple moves to and from Colorado driving a 16' moving truck and went through a lot more mountains than what you will be, so I'm sure you'll be ok.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
I drive to Albuquerque once or twice a year. The route through Payson is shorter and more pleasant than taking Interstates through Flagstaff. It is not Salt River Canyon which is US 60 south of Show Low.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:08 PM

186 posts, read 195,380 times
I'd do the route through Payson and Heber. Consider taking Hwy 54 from Tucumcari up into Witchita, then I-35 up to Des Moines and I-80 into Illinois, if you're moving near Chicago. Hwy. 54 is two lane but cuts a lot of miles off the trip. A long haul driver might offer some insight into 54 s current condition. I haven't driven it in a number of years.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEinAz View Post
I'd do the route through Payson and Heber. Consider taking Hwy 54 from Tucumcari up into Witchita, then I-35 up to Des Moines and I-80 into Illinois, if you're moving near Chicago. Hwy. 54 is two lane but cuts a lot of miles off the trip. A long haul driver might offer some insight into 54 s current condition. I haven't driven it in a number of years.
I've had to drive US 54 between Wichita and Tucumcari, the towns can get annoying, but other than that not bad. Worst parts are Liberal, KS and Dalhart, TX, especially with everything under construction at the moment in both towns. I have to drive it again on Saturday, pulling a load from Dodge City to Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area