Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd pick Flagstaff any day over Tempe. That's a real college town. It's all about NAU there. No one but alums pays attention to ASU sports anymore with all the pro teams in town. Even Mill lacks the college vibe it had years ago. Downtown Phoenix actually is a better college "town", IMO, than Tempe.
While I agree with the sentiment, this is a bit of a stretch. And if we're talking cities that are all about their universities, then that title goes to Tucson. At least they care about UA, you ever see a Lumberjacks game on TV? Ain't nobody even bothering to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
While I agree with the sentiment, this is a bit of a stretch. And if we're talking cities that are all about their universities, then that title goes to Tucson. At least they care about UA, you ever see a Lumberjacks game on TV? Ain't nobody even bothering to go.
Ponderosa's statement was not based in reality, Tempe easily has 10-15X as many on-campus dorm beds, not even counting the several off-campus private dorms (high rises) and apartments filled with students. What you usually see is downtown ASU students live downtown freshman year, then many move to Tempe for the more "College" experience and ride light rail to school.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Ponderosa's statement was not based in reality, Tempe easily has 10-15X as many on-campus dorm beds, not even counting the several off-campus private dorms (high rises) and apartments filled with students. What you usually see is downtown ASU students live downtown freshman year, then many move to Tempe for the more "College" experience and ride light rail to school.
If this was ranking the best college towns in America. I agree that Tempe would not even be in my top 10 and Tucson definitely looks and feels like more of a traditional college town than Tempe. I know you are biased because you went to ASU so you will understandably not be objective regarding this. But from someone who did not attend either ASU or U of A (I went to Stanford), the University of Arizona and Tucson feel like more of a traditional college campus. My daughter attends the University of Arizona and a big reason for attending it is it feels like more of a traditional university with a real campus feel. I think the problem with ASU is it is too wealthy and nice for a college campus. If you honestly took 10 people from outside of Arizona to visit the UA and ASU campus, I guarantee 9 out of 10 those residents would tell you UA has a more traditional college look and feel. Tempe doesn't have the shanty dive bar music scene that you see at other colleges. It doesn't have the eclectic run down small cafes or places for a quick bite. At other schools, you see more sports gear, shirts and school spirit. ASU has a somewhat of a commuter feel to it. I remember when ASU had an UNO's pizzeria on campus and UNOs was a very upscale and unique pizzeria (arguably the Valley's nicest pizzeria at the time). Heck, I still remember the Bamboo Club on Mill and did not remotely come close to resembling a restaurant or cafe on a college campus. Even the PF Changs on Mill and University would attract people from all over the Valley. None of those are really college restaurants. Even with regard to sports, the sports scene at U of A feels more authentic and passionate. The last time, I sensed any true passion for sports at ASU was when Jake Plummer was still there. And that was nearly 20 years ago.

That being said, if you are asking to rank the best cities with a university, then yes, I agree Tempe is definitely top 5 in my opinion.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-10-2016 at 02:21 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If this was ranking the best college towns in America. I agree that Tempe would not even be in my top 10 and Tucson definitely looks and feels like more of a traditional college town than Tempe. I know you are biased because you went to ASU so you will understandably not be objective regarding this. But from someone who did not attend either ASU or U of A (I went to Stanford), the University of Arizona and Tucson feel like more of a traditional college campus. My daughter attends the University of Arizona and a big reason for attending it is it feels like more of a traditional university with a real campus feel. I think the problem with ASU is it is too wealthy and nice for a college campus. If you honestly took 10 people from outside of Arizona to visit the UA and ASU campus, I guarantee 9 out of 10 those residents would tell you UA has a more traditional college look and feel. Tempe doesn't have the shanty dive bar music scene that you see at other colleges. It doesn't have the eclectic run down small cafes or places for a quick bite. At other schools, you see more sports gear, shirts and school spirit. ASU has a somewhat of a commuter feel to it. I remember when ASU had an UNO's pizzeria on campus and UNOs was a very upscale and unique pizzeria (arguably the Valley's nicest pizzeria at the time). Heck, I still remember the Bamboo Club on Mill and did not remotely come close to resembling a restaurant or cafe on a college campus. Even the PF Changs on Mill and University would attract people from all over the Valley. None of those are really college restaurants. Even with regard to sports, the sports scene at U of A feels more authentic and passionate. The last time, I sensed any true passion for sports at ASU was when Jake Plummer was still there. And that was nearly 20 years ago.

That being said, if you are asking to rank the best cities with a university, then yes, I agree Tempe is definitely top 5 in my opinion.
I don't think of Tucson as any more of a college town than Albuquerque. They're both large cities with a strong Hispanic culture that also have universities. I think of a college town being all about the college as the main industry, with a total population only slightly larger than the enrollment at the school. Tucson is over a million people with an air force base, large defense industry, large retiree population, etc.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't think of Tucson as any more of a college town than Albuquerque. They're both large cities with a strong Hispanic culture that also have universities. I think of a college town being all about the college as the main industry, with a total population only slightly larger than the enrollment at the school. Tucson is over a million people with an air force base, large defense industry, large retiree population, etc.
UNM and UA aren't even comparable. UA takes a lot of out of state students and has control over Tucson. UNM is more akin to a small ASU. It's nickname is University Near Mom. It's there, but it doesn't dominate. Kind of like ASU, it's here but it doesn't run the show in Phoenix. It's especially noticeable in the Summer, Tucson is deserted in the Summer, ABQ is fine, it doesn't lose the student population.

UNM takes around 18k undergrads, UA takes 34k+.

UA is Tucsons professional sports teams, UNM competes with the likes of NAU. It's completely different.

But yes in other respects ABQ and Tucson are pretty similar, but Tucson is much more influenced by UA than UNM influences ABQ.

I know because I've lived in both, both great cities.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:22 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Tucson isn't a "college town" either, but the university and university pride is more prominent there than in Phoenix. Albuquerque is the same way, UNM is the thing.

ASU doesn't have a classic campus and is really fully connected into a metro of 5M people. Not a knock against it, I went to a school that was even more urban and our campus was even more city than our neighboring school.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Saying Tempe is the best college town in America is like saying the Honda Civic is the best car in the world. Yes, the Civic is a staple in the industry, and reliable, its nothing special. Same goes for Tempe. While Tempe isnt a bad place by any stretch, getting voted #1 is a bit ridiculous, IMO.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Tucson isn't a "college town" either, but the university and university pride is more prominent there than in Phoenix. Albuquerque is the same way, UNM is the thing.

ASU doesn't have a classic campus and is really fully connected into a metro of 5M people. Not a knock against it, I went to a school that was even more urban and our campus was even more city than our neighboring school.
Just curious, since I attended what I consider a classic campus for undergrad and then I attended ASU for grad school, what is a classic campus exactly?

Around University and College feels very much like a classic campus to me.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM

JGM - we must have different Abq circles because UNM is very prominent there. A ton of lobo pride in the city and a large influence

Old 08-10-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Just curious, since I attended what I consider a classic campus for undergrad and then I attended ASU for grad school, what is a classic campus exactly?

Around University and College feels very much like a classic campus to me.
Where did you go to undergrad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area