Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:49 PM

99 posts, read 128,760 times

Advertisements

I didn't take the original poster as making a political statement. Its a valid question to ask how retirement communities will evolve. People talk about how everything will have to change when the Millennials retire. Sorry, but that is way too far off. The next generation is me and other soon to retire people like me, that have worked in a fast pace ever changing work environment. This generation (late boomers an on) have been connected to their smart phones and jobs 24/7. Things like golf, bowling and cards don't interest me or anyone I know. Outdoor and indoor facilities have to evolve and adapt to the next buyer. Golf courses continue to lose money and close, because of under utilization, etc. I'd stop worrying about Millennials, and look out 5 to 10 years. You may be shocked at what my generation will require of retirement communities. Conservative or liberal should be the least of ones worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:32 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Agreed on most points, but old age is not always connected to turning conservative. The Greatest Generation voted Democrat for life. The boomer generation is opposite, from extreme left to now extreme right. Obviously the Greatest Generation is largely extinct and the old-age voting pool in AZ dominated by Silent and Boomer retirees.
I am pretty sure the Greatest Generation voted for Eisenhower.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:45 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
I didn't take the original poster as making a political statement. Its a valid question to ask how retirement communities will evolve. People talk about how everything will have to change when the Millennials retire. Sorry, but that is way too far off. The next generation is me and other soon to retire people like me, that have worked in a fast pace ever changing work environment. This generation (late boomers an on) have been connected to their smart phones and jobs 24/7. Things like golf, bowling and cards don't interest me or anyone I know. Outdoor and indoor facilities have to evolve and adapt to the next buyer. Golf courses continue to lose money and close, because of under utilization, etc. I'd stop worrying about Millennials, and look out 5 to 10 years. You may be shocked at what my generation will require of retirement communities. Conservative or liberal should be the least of ones worries.
You may be shocked to find out that 55+ communities are several generations at one time. Right now we have the Greatest, The Silents, and the Boomers. One generation does not define the place.

As long as some people golf they will move where the courses are, and people your age golf. You must not get out much if you don't know any.

Most places evolve for the next buyers but the buyers also evolve. Your fast paced ever changing work environment is what you will want to get away from the same as every generation before you got away from their work lifestyle.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:17 PM

99 posts, read 128,760 times
OK if it makes you feel better to avoid the absolute fact that declining middle class is killing golf, or that bowling alleys are making a big comback (on what planet). Yep, I just don't get it. Welcome to America 2016,

Old 08-13-2016, 03:25 AM

218 posts, read 350,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I'm sensing the same, or at least it makes the change of the voting landscape glacially slow. It is not only the in-migration of conservatives but also the out-migration of (liberal-leaning) Millennials that hampers change in Arizona.
Except that the liberal leaning millenials and gen xers, we move to downtown areas.....with new tall towers.......

Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 AM

218 posts, read 350,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I vote you for governor!

ETA: Wait - after reading your subsequent posts, I might already want to recall you
I oppose the legalization of pot and am also pro life and right to work. I just like diversity and trendiness. Those two factors are usually missing in retirement communities. And they're missing in most of the suburbs of the metro, but not entirely since yuppies and millenials are being priced out further away from Tempe and downtown 5Scottsdale, since the rents are rising rapidly due to the new tall condos. Yuppies and millenials won't change the voting patterns out in the suburbs that much. All of Scottsdale votes solidly republican except from south of McCormick ranch.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:09 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
So what SPECIFICALLY will your generation require of retirement communities? (I'm not being snarky - genuinely curious and a bit mystified.)

Old 08-13-2016, 07:11 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
So what SPECIFICALLY will your generation require of retirement communities? (I'm not being snarky - genuinely curious and a bit mystified.)
We'll be lucky to retire number 1. And that's pending some disaster, natural or not.

I see the new generation retire like empty nesters moving into urban areas where you can walk places. Walking is nice, safer, and a lot healthier than driving everywhere.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:49 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
I did sense the OP as making a condescending political statement. It never ceases to amaze me that the people that talk about the "filter" on Fox News BUT see no "filter" on pMSNBC or Clinton News Network. I guess they also trust the news feed from Yahoo, Facebook, Colbert and Daily Show as the true news. Talk about BIAS!

If you don't care for the attitudes of the people in Sun City or Sun City West, don't move there.

Disclaimer: I do not have cable or dish TV , do not watch network news. I do get news from newspapers and Internet sources ( that are from the Mainstream) but can see bias. Also, am moderate with social issues, conservative on fiscal issues and vote GOP as I see them as the lesser of two evils. I am more fearful of what HRC as DONE than what Trump has SAID. Had enough of the Clintons in the 90s.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I just recently moved out of Colorado to Arizona, it became too left wing for me and the cost of living rose too high. Now we got another person wanting to transform another red state? Why not assimilate instead of making it like your former area?
Exactly. We really need more Illinois voters to transplant their expertise in voting their area right down the drain.

I don't get why people come from places that are so obviously different. It's almost as if a lot of people end up here because they did a coin toss or something, without having a clue. Maybe that's why so many people move "back home" after 3 years, wherever that is.

But what really gets me isn't the US transplants. It's the Canadians who pack up their cars and their anti-US sentiment (which they can't resist voicing at every possible opportunity), then come down for half a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area