Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,918,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
JGM,

By El Mirage, I'm assuming you mean El Mirage Road, since the city of El Mirage is no where near the 303. The area by the 303 and El Mirage Road is a separate development called Corte Bella. They share a zip code with SCW, but they are not part of the SCW community.

Realtors often mislead their clients into thinking it is part of SCW and that they will have access to the clubs and activities in SCW, but that is not correct. I shouldn't say they all mislead... some are just ignorant! I recently corrected a realtor who posted information on the internet that SCW was part of Surprise. What was worse was she said she meant it was near Surprise but did not correct what she had posted! I am astonished at the incompetence and deceptive practices of some realtors.

Densi,

Is Corte Bella the area that you are referring to also? If not, can you provide me with specific areas in SCW that are low tax and high tax? As a SCW resident, I am interested in knowing where I fall, because this information is new to me! Maybe you had one of those bad realtors too!
No I'm talking about cross River and Silverado. I'm aware of Corte Bella, but the neighborhoods adjacent are in SCW city limits and zoned into Peoria School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 PM

44,571 posts, read 61,361,607 times
There are no adjacent cities inside Sun City West or Sun City limits. Those adjacent communities only share a zip code for mail purposes since those communities have no dedicated post offices within their community. Taxes are different for those communities and have nothing to do with the Sun Cities tax base. No Sun City West or Sun City pays any Peoria school tax and they are not zoned for it.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:15 AM

576 posts, read 824,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
No I'm talking about cross River and Silverado. I'm aware of Corte Bella, but the neighborhoods adjacent are in SCW city limits and zoned into Peoria School District.
OK, thanks for the clarification. The Crossriver development is on the other side of El Mirage Road and further north from SCW. It doesn't even have the same zip code, so there is zero connection to SCW.

Maybe I need to be more clear... What I was asking was are there different tax bases among different areas WITHIN THE WALLS OF SUN CITY WEST. If anyone can provide specific information or links to this, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I am going to chalk it up to more subterfuge on the part of realtors.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:59 PM

604 posts, read 930,682 times
Quote:
OK, thanks for the clarification. The Crossriver development is on the other side of El Mirage Road and further north from SCW. It doesn't even have the same zip code, so there is zero connection to SCW.

Maybe I need to be more clear... What I was asking was are there different tax bases among different areas WITHIN THE WALLS OF SUN CITY WEST. If anyone can provide specific information or links to this, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I am going to chalk it up to more subterfuge on the part of realtors.

There are different tax basis properties WITHIN Sun City West. See my previous post. As you look at properties for sale between Deer Valley and the 303 you will see much higher taxes. These properties are IN Sun City West and have access to all amenities.

Last edited by GeneR; 08-12-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 03:21 PM

44,571 posts, read 61,361,607 times
The part that many people read over too quickly is that Arizona property taxes on owner-occupied residences are levied based on the Limited Property Value (LPV) or Assessed Value. You do not pay your real estate taxes based on the Full Cash Value (FCV) or current market value. In Maricopa County.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/govtoff/qt/proptax.htm

Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 AM

566 posts, read 782,293 times
A major issue on which you haven't touched is who you want to live among.
I'm 65, and with all due respect, while I like living in a quiet neighborhood, having neighbors much older than myself is not the least appealing.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:51 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,918,776 times
Quote:

They are addressed as SCW, I'm not pretending to know the answer, but they have some connection?

Old 08-13-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They are addressed as SCW, I'm not pretending to know the answer, but they have some connection?
Are you sure? Their zip is 85373, which also includes part of SC. The zip for SCW is 85375.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...4d-112.3039728

Old 08-13-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
There are different tax basis properties WITHIN Sun City West. See my previous post. As you look at properties for sale between Deer Valley and the 303 you will see much higher taxes. These properties are IN Sun City West and have access to all amenities.
Thanks, you are right! I had a little time to do some hunting on zillow and found that even a few houses just south of Deer Valley had much higher taxes than in the older sections. I looked at properties that had sold recently for similar prices. I guess I'm glad that my ignorance paid off for me in this instance, because I am in the lower taxed part!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:19 PM

416 posts, read 259,085 times
Yes there are two different and distinct tax bases in Sun City West. Here's how it happened: Originally SCW was to be a third larger than Sun City (SC has 27,000 rooftops and Sun City West was to grow to around 40,000). In early 1970's, the Peoria school district asked Sun City and what was to become SCW to leave the district because bond measures kept getting voted down.

Sun City West opened in 1978 and had no school taxes; like Sun City. The Webb Corp got in trouble financially in the early 80's and starting selling assets to stay afloat. They sold off a small portion of land east of Grand Ave in Sun City West and all of what is now Sun City Grand. All of which originally was to be Sun City West.

When the age restricted housing market came back in the 90's, the Webb Corp bought back most of what they had sold off, including that land within the walls of Sun City West. One little problem was by then, the city of Surprise had made all of that land a part of Surprise. Consequently that land in Sun City West and all of Sun City Grand was part of the Surprise tax base.

A good realtor can give you exactly where the boundaries are in Sun City West. Basically it is the newest portion of the development, but the oddity is on one side of the street the taxes are lower, while on the other side, they are higher by quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area