Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:22 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times

Advertisements

As of today it was announced that Macy's will be closing another 100 stores. The full list hasn't been released yet.

I wonder, which locations do you think are vulnerable?

I think the Paradise Valley Mall location is probably the most vulnerable. I would probably say the locations safest from the cut are Scottsdale Fashion Square, Chandler Fashion Center, and Biltmore Fashion Park. Superstition Springs Center, Arrowhead Towne Center, and SanTan Village are probably somewhere in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 12:29 PM

924 posts, read 751,174 times
I have to agree about the Paradise Valley store. I remember when I worked for Macy's, and had to call other stores looking for something for a customer, that was the location I hated calling. (because it was rare that an employee at that store answered the phone)

I figured out the reason for this when I went to the Paradise Valley store as a customer.....there were few employees out on the salesfloor to actually answer the phone.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,153 times
metrocenter mall FEELS half abandoned. There building a Walmart there, but I think that's a year or two till complete. I could easily see that one going.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
metrocenter mall FEELS half abandoned. There building a Walmart there, but I think that's a year or two till complete. I could easily see that one going.
Um, the Macy's at Metrocenter closed in June of last year. It is the second Macy's location to close in the Phoenix area in recent years, following the closure of the Fiesta Mall location in 2014. I think there is a great chance that the Paradise Valley Mall location could be next.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:01 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,944,810 times
I hope they close and a better, friendlier,smarter store that stays out of politics replaces them, I am still ticked at them for bashing Trump.

http://www.wnd.com/2016/06/macys-sto...dissing-trump/

MACY'S STOCK IN FREE FALL SINCE DISSING TRUMP

Old 08-11-2016, 04:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I am in Texas but I've watched the demise of Macy's from Texas for a long time. They used to be a good, solid store, along the lines of Dillards, but now they feel like Sears or JC Penney to me. I don't know what happened to them but they sure do feel dummied down now. I don't care if they go out of business.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:29 PM

189 posts, read 230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I hope they close and a better, friendlier,smarter store that stays out of politics replaces them, I am still ticked at them for bashing Trump.

Macy’s stock in free fall since dissing Trump

You're an idiot if you feel there's a direct correlation between Trump saying that and Macy's struggling. EVERY traditional retailer has been struggling with revenue declines due to changes in consumer's shopping habits. If you feel he has such a strong influence, how come Apple hasn't struggled? The dummy even owns stock in Apple and yet is calling for a boycott?

Old 08-11-2016, 04:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post

Macy’s stock in free fall since dissing Trump

You do realize that when you post something from a wingnut website that most people pay no attention, right?

Old 08-11-2016, 04:39 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,944,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You do realize that when you post something from a wingnut website that most people pay no attention, right?
The truth is the truth no matter what the source, it is a true fact that Macys stock has dropped from $67.82 per share to $31 a share and a year-over-year operating income decline of 40 percent since Trump called for the boycott on Macys

WND is a great website for truth seekers but not so much for koolaid drinkers.

Quote:
When Trump first called for the boycott on July 1, 2015, Macy’s stock price stood at $67.82 per share. In less than a year, the stock has lost more than half its value, now standing at just over $31 a share.

And the company’s problems go beyond its stock price.

It reportedly is suffering a year-over-year operating income decline of 40 percent, a 4.4 percent drop in revenue, and a comparable-sales decline of 3.2 percent. Experts claim the company’s decline is as dire as anything suffered during the economic crisis of 2009.

Last edited by autism360; 08-11-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 05:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Love a good fist fight. (Not really)

There's a paradigm shift happening in the retail business. Brick and mortar stores simply can't compete with internet venues, most notably Amazon.

Macy's has fallen victim to the times. I can order a specific product, first reading users reviews, have that product delivered to my home and for a lower price, then if I went to Macy's or any other large retail outlet.

Being in retail today is like being under attack by the "Borg." Resistance is futile...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area