Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:28 PM

394 posts, read 342,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Clearly you dont spend much time here.

They are absolutely everywhere. Ive seen them in Carefree, all the way down to Ahwatukee.
nope, not yet (to spending much time there)... only while house hunting - but full time in a couple days.

I don't doubt they are around - but I'm positive it's nothing like SoCal. The small comparative percentage is probably why I haven't noticed... or possibly just not in the areas I've been spending time in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 01:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Clearly you dont spend much time here.

They are absolutely everywhere. Ive seen them in Carefree, all the way down to Ahwatukee.
The way you know you have a problem with the homeless is when you leave in the middle of the night and you have people crossing the street hallucinating on drugs approaching your car for handouts or worse trying to get hit by your car. In Florida, that was a legitimate threat. If I had to leave in the middle of the night to go the hospital, you had people walking around aimlessly on the streets and they were doped up and would almost want you to hit them with your car. It made leaving your home after midnight truly dangerous. You would be at a light about to make a left on a green, and some homeless guy would come into the intersection and try to block your path asking for money. You don't see anything like that here.

This is another one of those "Arizona problems" where locals think they have a legitimate problem like other cities and they don't. It still cracks me when people think we have bad traffic.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The way you know you have a problem with the homeless is when you leave in the middle of the night and you have people crossing the street hallucinating on drugs approaching your car for handouts or worse trying to get hit by your car. In Florida, that was a legitimate threat. If I had to leave in the middle of the night to go the hospital, you had people walking around aimlessly on the streets and they were doped up and would almost want you to hit them with your car. It made leaving your home after midnight truly dangerous. You would be at a light about to make a left on a green, and some homeless guy would come into the intersection and try to block your path asking for money. You don't see anything like that here.

This is another one of those "Arizona problems" where locals think they have a legitimate problem like other cities and they don't. It still cracks me when people think we have bad traffic.
Sounds bad. The worst Ive had here was a homeless guy begging in the median for money. It was a dual left turn lane, and unfortunately I was on the inside lane closest to him. I was in the Jeep with the doors off, and he came by asking for change. I ignored him but then he started yelling at me for ignoring him. I had the radio on and up loud so I couldnt hear his exact words, but he was riled up. He started walking back towards the front of the line, and must have noticed me turning down my radio or something, because he started heading back towards me. Luckily the light turned green and as I started to move, he shouted something and was reaching for me. He actually ended up almost getting hit by the sideview mirror as I passed. Frickin psycho!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:19 PM

394 posts, read 342,915 times
^^^ maybe he was trying to get you to turn the radio down.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
I've been approached while pumping gas, and almost regularly while exiting a certain convenience store chain that shall remain nameless.

The pros always hit you up as you leave, and the amateurs tend to beg as you're entering. Had one fella wearing a polo shirt with a chain restaurant logo on it. He kept pointing to the logo and explaining that he had a job.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:18 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
indeed they are everywhere in SoCal - EVERYWHERE!

I rarely see them when I'm in AZ... granted, it hasn't been full time yet, but most places I've been have no pan handlers... I think I saw one at the off ramp of 101 (not sure what town) and I was surprised...

Overall the ratio is FAR less in Phoenix than SoCal... I hope it stays that way - but with some of the bleeding hearts I see on this forum - it won't surprise me when the shysters multiply and take advantage of the naivety here.
They're all over the place but the heaviest concentration seems to be in the denser areas like Tempe and central Phoenix.

They naturally choose the higher traffic areas to pull their scams, you don't see them as much in the suburbs.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

There is a problem with homelessness but most of these people aren't homeless, they're just panhandlers who aren't as poor or hungry as they make themselves out to be.

We have congested traffic too, just not as bad as some cities but claiming Phoenix doesn't have bad traffic at all is a lie.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,252,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
The pros always hit you up as you leave, and the amateurs tend to beg as you're entering. Had one fella wearing a polo shirt with a chain restaurant logo on it. He kept pointing to the logo and explaining that he had a job.
And it's usually the same ol' sob story, such as needing money for gas, bus fare, food for the kids, or whatever. Most of the time they're simply looking for a handout, and aren't really all that down & out. There have times when I've been close to being broke, especially when I was younger (as many of us have been). I suppose I could've walked the streets & panhandled with a "PO' ME" sign, but I would have felt guilty & pretty damn sleazy doing something like that.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:15 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,979,382 times
Beggars are rife at the McDonald's at 7th Ave & Van Buren as well as the McDonald's and Safeway at 7th St & McDowell and nearly every freeway. The concern I believe to be overblown. I never give them money and I'm not bothered aside from the initial request for money. I've encountered hostile beggars in Chicago and Detroit so I'm thankful for the mild mannered beggars here. If I don't offer money or ignore they just move along.

People can complain but I place the onus on the rubes that give their money away. Sure fire test on the sincerity of the beggar...offer to buy them food & water instead of giving them money. I've only had this offer accepted once. I've heard humorous stories about offering work to folks holding "will work for food" signs and the person with the sign gets angry because they really just want your hard earned money for nothing.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:19 AM

94 posts, read 119,557 times
I just spoke with a Phx cop. He told me it is a heroin problem. These are mostly junkies. He said that they do not have guns but every one of them has a knife. Please be careful when dealing with these people, they can hurt you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area