Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

There was post over on the arenadigest.com about a possible ASU/Coyotes arena still happening:

ASU/Coyotes Arena Still Looks Viable

A leaked correspondence shows that ASU could have a new arena by the 2018-2019 season, but the question is whether they will be joined by the Phoenix Coyotes.

As it turns out, ASU is confident in its potential move. In a request to join the organization, ASU athletic director Ray Anderson told the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) that the program could be in a new venue by the 2018-2019 season.

Anderson’s letter makes no mention of the location of the arena or of a possible joint venue with the Coyotes. But in late June — two weeks after Anderson’s letter was dated — the Coyotes announced the location of a new arena has been decided. Coyotes co-owner Anthony LeBlanc said that location would be revealed later in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 06:19 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
At this time, the silence of the Coyotes on an arena deal holds more water than a little known website that does not know the name of the NHL franchise involved.

Firmly in "I'll Believeve it when I see it" mode.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:44 AM

Ideally, I think a new shared Suns/Coyotes arena in downtown Phoenix where the revenue is split 50-50 is the best way to go, but the odds of that happening are slim to none and slim just left the building. I feel the website was just trying to connect the dots with what the ASU AD told the National Collegiate Hockey Conference. That timeline of a new ASU hockey venue by the 2018-2019 season, is definitely a tight deadline, and even though they did build the Glendale arena in 21 months, they would pretty much have to start construction on a Coyotes/ASU arena immediately. One good thing, I guess, is that if that build it on the golf course, the don't have to relocate any major utilities, maybe some irrigation lines.

Even if the Coyotes build the arena at McKellips and McClintock on the Indian reservation, I think the ASU hockey team will play there, it is just going to be a wee bit further from campus.

Arizona Coyotes: Speculating About Possible New Arena

Letter reveals Arizona State Sun Devils hockey plans to have new arena complete in 2 years

Arizona State Officially Applies to the NCHC But Arena Question Lingers

Last edited by cjseliga; 08-25-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

Even if the Coyotes build the arena at McKellips and McClintock on the Indian reservation, I think the ASU hockey team will play there, it is just going to be a wee bit further from campus.

Arizona Coyotes: Speculating About Possible New Arena

Letter reveals Arizona State Sun Devils hockey plans to have new arena complete in 2 years

Arizona State Officially Applies to the NCHC But Arena Question Lingers
It's not really further from campus, considering they play at that intersection already (Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe - next to Big Surf). I've been telling people here for a couple years that the shared ASU/Coyotes arena is the likely outcome.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's not really further from campus, considering they play at that intersection already (Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe - next to Big Surf). I've been telling people here for a couple years that the shared ASU/Coyotes arena is the likely outcome.
True, they do currently play right across the street from one of the proposed sites. But are all the other ASU teams that play in Wells Fargo now, also going to play in the new arena? If not, then it's more of a ASU Hockey/Coyotes shared arena.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:38 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
True, they do currently play right across the street from one of the proposed sites. But are all the other ASU teams that play in Wells Fargo now, also going to play in the new arena? If not, then it's more of a ASU Hockey/Coyotes shared arena.
The main reason I thought that a joint ASU/Coyotes arena was most viable was because ASU owns a lot of land in their planned "athletic district", the fact that this plan is outside of the ASU land throws a wrench into my scenario, but ASU could still sell land within that district to developers to help fund an arena for the team somewhere else. The plan is to create a district committed to sports (olympic sports, not just the major ASU sports) with hotels and such from Rural to McClintock roughly where Karsten is. I think the plan has been to keep basketball at Wells Fargo Arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area