Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 02:59 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1231 View Post
Some people do get rattlesnakes in their patios.

Some people get hit by lightning too but they're both extremely rare and pretty much non-issues. If you back up to a wash it preserve you need to keep keep in mind desert animals are right next to you, if you're in the middle of the city or a large development chances of a rattlesnake in your yard are pretty slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 11:04 PM

53 posts, read 60,555 times
It's an upscale house in an upscale Scottsdale neighborhood.
The video shows that even upscale neighborhoods can get dangerous snakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r72-2uBsRE

Old 09-25-2016, 11:42 PM

445 posts, read 398,802 times
Wow! I saw that the other day! My brother tagged me on my Facebook page since I just moved here. I think it's really cool!!

Honestly, I love EVERYTHING about Arizona!! I talked with someone who had lived her for thirty years at game night last night and she said she was never stung by a scorpion in all those years. Phoenix is about as close to perfect as I'll ever find. I personally like it better than California. California was very expensive, heavy traffic, and it carried A LOT of HYPE and ATTITUDE. Arizona doesn't try to be anything, which makes it a really nice place to live and work. I've got one job lined up for the next month and I'm working on a second for nights and weekends. I love it here so much! I really do!

I DO MISS MY MOM THOUGH! And MISSING MOM may trump this whole adventure. I spent the past seven years living just a short drive away from her in Florida. It's amazing how you can find NIRVANA and yet still get HOMESICK for someone you care so much for. I'm sure you all understand.

For the time being, I am moving forward with my dream to live and work in Arizona. I feel it will take a bit of an adjustment period. I went from a nice two bedroom/two bath to renting a room in someone's townhouse. It was difficult to part with so much of my stuff. But my mom told me just how all that stuff, nice furniture, etc. will be a blessing for someone in need. She's right. I use an air mattress for the time being which isn't too bad. But all my remaining belongings are pretty much packed up and that's difficult.

But at the end of the day, when I contemplate my move to Arizona, I feel it was totally worth it!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:03 PM

221 posts, read 192,707 times
Beware of utility costs. We have what is called 'time of use.' When you need A/C the most the cost is double. Same for heat. This could be a budget buster.
Dry air makes triple digit temperatures more tolerable than your soupy summers but opposite for winter. Once the sun goes down the effect you experience regarding chill is very noticeable. Of the 16 years I lived in central FL there were possibly ten mornings a year where long sleeves/jacket was necessary, for early morning running. Here this is a requirement for nearly four straight months. 50 degrees here is very different than your eastern time zone 50.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:42 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Beware of utility costs. We have what is called 'time of use.' When you need A/C the most the cost is double. Same for heat. This could be a budget buster.
Dry air makes triple digit temperatures more tolerable than your soupy summers but opposite for winter. Once the sun goes down the effect you experience regarding chill is very noticeable. Of the 16 years I lived in central FL there were possibly ten mornings a year where long sleeves/jacket was necessary, for early morning running. Here this is a requirement for nearly four straight months. 50 degrees here is very different than your eastern time zone 50.
Does this "time of use" apply to all utilities? Any idea what a typical bill is in the summer for maybe 1200 sq ft? Also, when you need A/C the most...does that mean a certain span of months or is it based on temps?

I'm asking because I'm curious about AZ and just had a real wake-up call moving from an apt to a house in TX with my water bill. Crazy high electric bills in AZ might help me decide if I should stay curious. TIA

Old 11-24-2016, 02:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Does this "time of use" apply to all utilities? Any idea what a typical bill is in the summer for maybe 1200 sq ft? Also, when you need A/C the most...does that mean a certain span of months or is it based on temps?

I'm asking because I'm curious about AZ and just had a real wake-up call moving from an apt to a house in TX with my water bill. Crazy high electric bills in AZ might help me decide if I should stay curious. TIA
It applies to electricity and depends on your utility.

SRP does 3-6 or 4-7
APS does 12-8 I believe.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:23 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

SRP does 3-6 or 4-7
APS does 12-8 I believe.
Aha....hours of the day. Interesting. That doesn't sound so bad.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:56 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,983,546 times
Quote:

SRP does 3-6 or 4-7
APS does 12-8 I believe.
APS is 12-7

Old 11-24-2016, 09:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Aha....hours of the day. Interesting. That doesn't sound so bad.
It's isn't, unless you are really careless with your A/C.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:

SRP does 3-6 or 4-7
APS does 12-8 I believe.
APS is noon to 7. But that will be out the window soon as their new rate proposal (will be approved by their handpicked regulators) calls for a demand charge and time of day rates to be imposed on everyone whether they want it or not. So, there will not only be an upcharge for time of day, but you will also be socked a penalty for using high demand appliances (AC) during the hottest parts of the day. Bills will be going up quite a bit for everyone under this plan, but those who can't manage usage for one reason or the other will pay through the nose. SRP will follow suit eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area