Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:26 AM

445 posts, read 398,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, truth be told, most people suffer from arachnophobia, so a fear of scorpions falls into that category. Add the ridiculous wives tales that tell of scorpions "hunting" people and stinging them to death and, well... there you have the irrational fears. While most in the Valley dont have scorpion problems, there are many, many people that do. And having to comb their yards and homes every night with blacklights is troublesome to many. Seeing a wall with dozens of bark scorpions clinging to it is the ultimate nightmare, especially those from up north and out east who arent accustomed to having such nightmarish creatures around. While the scorpion sting is horribly painful, I wouldnt consider it life threatening, unless you have bad medical issues, and are elderly or an infant. For adults, etc, you take the sting, and then whine and moan about the pain, sometimes for days.
If truth be told, the whole SCORPION THING is making me RETHINK Phoenix. I find them super creepy and cringeworthy and I don't want them stinging me! I've lived in San Diego and never experienced scorpions and they have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Dating scene for a single 40 year old is better than most parts of the country. It's not LA, NYC or DC so don't expect it to be easy, but there are vastly more childfree people here than in 90% of the country. You'll be fine
I've lived in NYC, near LA and DC. It's difficult everywhere, but here in Florida it's MOSTLY RETIRED folk (60+) and very young families. If that's your cup of tea, enjoy! I like a little more diversity is all and better pay.

I will get old soon enough but I want to EXPLORE the world a little more before my time comes so this move has been weighing on my heart for a year now. I'm practical for the most part. No wild ways or crazy habits. I hope someone understands how I feel.

Last edited by MissMouse111; 08-31-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
According to your post, I made every mistake in the book

I moved here without a job, rented an apartment long distance sight unseen, and had never visited in the summer...or at all, actually! (though I had spent a lot of time in the heat in Vegas so I had a good idea of what I was in for, but I had never set foot in Phoenix) it all worked out just fine. I actually had many recruiters willing to talk to me before I got here, and had several interviews lined up as soon as I landed. I then took a few weeks off when I first arrived as I wanted a break and time to unpack, etc, but once I started really looking for a job, I actually had 3 offers within about 10 days. My field isn't so specialized, either. (I was looking for jobs in the accounting field at that time)

It can be done.
You sound like my long lost twin!!! I do things the way you do things and I have done well so far, EXCEPT FLORIDA is a different beast. And I have read many testimonies by others who agree so I'm not alone.

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I'm willing to take a RISK!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Joad View Post
If you have two months living expenses saved and are willing to work any job to pay the bills until you settle into something more permanent, don't be afraid to move without a job. If this were 2009 or you had kids, things might be different. But you have no dependents and the Phoenix unemployment rate is under 5%. You won't end up under a bridge.
That's the best thing I've heard all day. Thank you. God bless you! I'm leaving in a few days and I plan to get a month stay lined up at a hotel in the Phoenix area. Hopefully meet some locals and get a more reasonable place to stay because hotels can add up quick, but I would wait til I'm there as a precaution before I line anything up.

I have a place for my dog to stay for two months until I get situated. I think it would be a lot for my dog to travel with me. Do you agree? She is three pounds and ALL the hotels charge a lot for you to bring your pet along. One place charges an additional $25 fee each day for your pet. I think that's insane! So my friend knows a lady who has several chihuahuas and she's agreed to watch my baby until I get settled.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:39 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
That's the best thing I've heard all day. Thank you. God bless you! I'm leaving in a few days and I plan to get a month stay lined up at a hotel in the Phoenix area. Hopefully meet some locals and get a more reasonable place to stay because hotels can add up quick, but I would wait til I'm there as a precaution before I line anything up.

I have a place for my dog to stay for two months until I get situated. I think it would be a lot for my dog to travel with me. Do you agree? She is three pounds and ALL the hotels charge a lot for you to bring your pet along. One place charges an additional $25 fee each day for your pet. I think that's insane! So my friend knows a lady who has several chihuahuas and she's agreed to watch my baby until I get settled.
My Chihuahuas LOVE it here. One especially loves to lay out next to the pool and sunbathe

Old 08-31-2016, 01:11 PM

105 posts, read 286,660 times
Quote:

Just as an aside, not all hotels charge for pets. We traveled to Phoenix with 2 dogs and a cat and stayed at LaQuinta each night of the road trip as they do not charge anything for pets. They aren't fancy, but I'd used them again if traveling with pets.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:37 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
If truth be told, the whole SCORPION THING is making me RETHINK Phoenix. I find them super creepy and cringeworthy and I don't want them stinging me! I've lived in San Diego and never experienced scorpions and they have them.
If you're that afraid, then simply dont relocate. Im petrified of flying (aviaphobia I believe they call it), so I do anything possible to avoid it. No sense living in fear if you dont have to. What you could do is buy a pet scorpion. Seriously. Theyre super cheap and easy to keep. Just dont get a tropical species... maintaining the proper humidity for them is a bit of a pain. Anyways, buy one, care for it, observe it, give it a name, and I can guarantee your phobia will go away. When youre done with it, you can donate it to a school for their science class or something. Kids love that stuff.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My Chihuahuas LOVE it here. One especially loves to lay out next to the pool and sunbathe
Awwww! That's sooo awesome!

Old 08-31-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntin View Post
Just as an aside, not all hotels charge for pets. We traveled to Phoenix with 2 dogs and a cat and stayed at LaQuinta each night of the road trip as they do not charge anything for pets. They aren't fancy, but I'd used them again if traveling with pets.
Thanks for the tip. Good to know. Should I bring her then? It's a long way back to pick her up. I'm debating this.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If you're that afraid, then simply dont relocate. Im petrified of flying (aviaphobia I believe they call it), so I do anything possible to avoid it. No sense living in fear if you dont have to. What you could do is buy a pet scorpion. Seriously. Theyre super cheap and easy to keep. Just dont get a tropical species... maintaining the proper humidity for them is a bit of a pain. Anyways, buy one, care for it, observe it, give it a name, and I can guarantee your phobia will go away. When youre done with it, you can donate it to a school for their science class or something. Kids love that stuff.
Ah, I don't know about that. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area