Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

I see these in my pool. Not a lot of them, usually it seems like one or 2 here and there. I think it is cool to watch them land on the water, makes me wonder if someone was watching one many years ago and got the idea to make an aircraft that can land on the water!

I don't kill them. In fact, if one happens to land wrong and get stuck in the water, I will grab my net and scoop them out. They shake off the water and fly away. I will even try to keep the water calm if I see one trying to land. They are just thirsty!

I have never seen one that was aggressive or even seems to care that I am there. I stay out of their way, they seem to stay out of mine. I have had one land on me by mistake, but I shake them off and off they go. I also scoop out bees though they don't survive as often as wasps do once they get wet. Bees can't dry off as easily it would seem. Flies? Let 'em drown LOL

Old 09-01-2016, 02:39 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
I always thought they were Mud Daubers....Mud Daubers are most often iridescent black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 03:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I had this wasp problem a few years ago. What I learned was they are collecting water for their nest.

Your local pool store should have a bottle of wasp repellent you can pour in the pool which will decrease the surface tension of the water, preventing the wasps from being able to land on the surface. I don't think it's a harmful chemical. We used it and it worked. The wasps would try to land and then fly away when they realize they can't. Eventually the learn not to come to your pool.
Do you recall what this is called? A google search turned up nothing. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,300,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I see these in my pool. Not a lot of them, usually it seems like one or 2 here and there. I think it is cool to watch them land on the water, makes me wonder if someone was watching one many years ago and got the idea to make an aircraft that can land on the water!

I don't kill them. In fact, if one happens to land wrong and get stuck in the water, I will grab my net and scoop them out. They shake off the water and fly away. I will even try to keep the water calm if I see one trying to land. They are just thirsty!

I have never seen one that was aggressive or even seems to care that I am there. I stay out of their way, they seem to stay out of mine. I have had one land on me by mistake, but I shake them off and off they go. I also scoop out bees though they don't survive as often as wasps do once they get wet. Bees can't dry off as easily it would seem. Flies? Let 'em drown LOL

They building a nest that is why they pickup water in a pool.

I got stung back in July washing a car early in the morning felt some burning on my back I saw it fly away. Took my shirt off and my wife saw a welt with a hole in the middle. I guess it was on my back all the moving around washing stung me. It came back again I shot down with the hose and finished him off with my bare foot I have really calloused feet that wasp didn't have a chance. The sting didn't hurt that bad I think a bee sting is worse or a scorpion then the wasp it was really mild. My skin is kind of on the tough side so most of the time I don't feel it. When I get blood drawn I don't feel anything.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
lol

Well, the wasp larvae are what eat the tarantulas, not the wasp that attacks the tarantulas. What they do is sting the tarantula, which paralyzes it, then they lay eggs in it, which literally eat the tarantula alive.
You had to make it worse didn't you...

Old 09-04-2016, 10:29 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,279 times
I grew up in Phoenix in the 50-60s. There have always been wasps like the one pictured. Untrimmed palm trees are a favorite nest location.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Minding my own business working on a car, stood up and got stung on the side of my NOSE!
Yes, it did hurt like **#&^%^% ...... heck.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:57 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Do you recall what this is called? A google search turned up nothing. Thanks.
So I guess it's an algaecide with a side effect of deterring wasps.

https://www.amazon.com/Biodex-Labora.../dp/B00C7UFYZC

Read some of the top reviews. A lot of people are buying this for the wasps, not to kill algae!

I'm sure your local pool store carries this too.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 885 times
In AZ known as Paper Wasps, have them every year landing in the pool,12 years of kids and grandkids and never a sting, I’ve had to remove a few of their grey paper nests under patio and roof eves. PS these are not Yellowjackets, lots of them in the high country, they have a black and yellow striped butt, I have been stung by them while hiking.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:30 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,385 times
I had a nasty pool problem with pigeons drinking while clawing on to the stone feature. Where they drink they also poop. Took me a long time to deter them with spikes etc. Nasty flying rats, finally gone. For some reason they don't want to take a batch in the water while drinking (they can swim obviously), but they want to stay dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area