Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paradise Valley vs Arcadia
Paradise Valley 9 47.37%
Arcadia 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:21 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I was referring more to the area and "scenery" PV is very brown. And if you think it's not brown, go to Chandler, Tempe and Gilbert and they look like completely different cities. I'm a So Cal native and it's so I wanted something that reminded me of home. South Tempe and Chandler resemble So Cal more than any other part of Phoenix.

The houses in PV are very old too. The majority of them are brown ranch style homes. The primary reason people choose PV is for reputation and seclusion. The majority of them are not gated. I always found it strange that the overhwelming majority of homes in PV were these multi million dollar homes that were not gated. I find that very odd and you don't see this in other cities. Most 2 million dollar + homes in L.A. and Miami are gated. I have many friends in PV and asked them about this. They say that is the appeal of PV. The area has so much privacy and seclusion that home owners didn't want gates and didn't want it to look like wealthy gated areas that you find in Los Angeles and in other large metropolitan cities. They wanted it to have a cowboy ranch like feel. For me, I'm more metropolitan and if I'm buying a 2 million dollar + home, I wanted it to be gated and be proximal to nice amenities not in the middle of the nowhere near some desert that some call scenery.
Personally, I am generally anti-gates. I don't really enjoy having to answer to someone or be seen by someone in the guard house every single time I come and go. It feels a little big-brother to me. That's just my take from often visiting people who live in guarded communities. Then if you get to know the guards, you feel obligated to roll down your window and chat with them every time you roll through. Etc etc. To me, it's a hassle. I'd rather just be able to go to the store or work or what have you without having to be visually validated every time I want to enter my community.

Of course there are also communities which have gates but no guards and in that case, there's approximately 11,000 people who know the code, including everyone who's ever worked for a pizza delivery service or a package delivery service, everyone who's ever visited friends there, etc. (And even if you didn't know the code, no one seems to mind if you follow them in.) So in those communities, there is zero security involved but I guess it makes people feel better to have a gate that they have to click open.

Lastly, to paraphrase my mother, if have a gate or guard for your community, it begs the question, why do you need a gate/guard? Is the area unsafe or prone to burglars trying to steal everyone's jewelry? Are people unfriendly or uppity? It's not very welcoming in terms of curb appeal to your community. As a result, it isolates your community more because people are kept out and may not feel particularly welcome if they do come in for a sanctioned visit or social call.

Personally I don't mind people running or biking along my street usually but I also understand at least some of the impulse to have a South American-style Walled Compound where no one can bother you. Sure, sometimes you just want to be left alone. So I do understand that impulse especially I suppose if one was an athlete or celebrity or something. So I certainly get why some people want to be secluded.

Also, gated and guarded communities are much more likely to be in an HOA, since there has to exist some sort of community association to pay for the security personnel and equipment, which is something a lot of people don't want anyway. I prefer custom homes and visual variety in home and landscape design.

Last edited by ScottsdaleMark; 09-14-2016 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I was referring more to the area and "scenery" PV is very brown. And if you think it's not brown, go to Chandler, Tempe and Gilbert and they look like completely different cities. I'm a So Cal native and it's so I wanted something that reminded me of home. South Tempe and Chandler resemble So Cal more than any other part of Phoenix.

The houses in PV are very old too. The majority of them are brown ranch style homes. The primary reason people choose PV is for reputation and seclusion. The majority of them are not gated. I always found it strange that the overhwelming majority of homes in PV were these multi million dollar homes that were not gated. I find that very odd and you don't see this in other cities. Most 2 million dollar + homes in L.A. and Miami are gated. I have many friends in PV and asked them about this. They say that is the appeal of PV. The area has so much privacy and seclusion that home owners didn't want gates and didn't want it to look like wealthy gated areas that you find in Los Angeles and in other large metropolitan cities. They wanted it to have a cowboy ranch like feel. For me, I'm more metropolitan and if I'm buying a 2 million dollar + home, I wanted it to be gated and be proximal to nice amenities not in the middle of the nowhere near some desert that some call scenery.
You act like PV is Casa Grande or something. I hardly call it "middle of nowhere". Youre bordered by Phoenix and Scottsdale, both of which have everything to do that LA does, minus theme parks and the ocean. And there are lots of nice, green, lush areas of PV. Contrary to what you say, most of the homes are not "old" by any stretch of the word. The vast majority of the homes I see (I live right next to PV) are new. Yes, there are a few old brick homes sprinkled here and there, but cmon.

I just want to know why did you move to a desert if you loathe desert scenery so much?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There are no preservation protections in either place. But, there are still areas of Arcadia that look the same as they did 50 years ago, except for the cars in the driveway. All the remodeling on those is on the inside. I suspect that there are areas like that in PV too. It's different styles of houses in PV, even the older ones. It just depends on what you want in an area, you have to see them both to figure that out.
This is part of the charm & uniqueness of Arcadia ... it looks like an upscale Phoenix neighborhood from the 1950s/1960s era with the large lots, citrus trees, and green grassy yards. Cookie cutter blandness and unattractive slabs of crushed rock for yards are going to be hard to find in Arcadia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You act like PV is Casa Grande or something. I hardly call it "middle of nowhere". Youre bordered by Phoenix and Scottsdale, both of which have everything to do that LA does, minus theme parks and the ocean. And there are lots of nice, green, lush areas of PV. Contrary to what you say, most of the homes are not "old" by any stretch of the word. The vast majority of the homes I see (I live right next to PV) are new. Yes, there are a few old brick homes sprinkled here and there, but cmon.
I understand exactly what AZRiverfan is saying. He's not implying that Paradise Valley is located in the middle of nowhere because it clearly isn't ... however, much of it does feel isolated compared to other parts of the metro area, mainly because it's primarily a residential community and doesn't have too much as far as business or amenities. Also, I believe PV was intended to have that "desert" look & feel because it was pretty much on the edge of everything when it was new many many years ago. PV does look & feel like a step back in time (kind of like Arcadia, only with a different concept), which is part of the charm, but I still prefer Arcadia over PV. At least Arcadia has shopping areas & restaurants, and isn't too far from Scottsdale, Biltmore, and central Phoenix.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:12 PM

10 posts, read 13,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Personally, I am generally anti-gates. I don't really enjoy having to answer to someone or be seen by someone in the guard house every single time I come and go. It feels a little big-brother to me. That's just my take from often visiting people who live in guarded communities. Then if you get to know the guards, you feel obligated to roll down your window and chat with them every time you roll through. Etc etc. To me, it's a hassle. I'd rather just be able to go to the store or work or what have you without having to be visually validated every time I want to enter my community.

Of course there are also communities which have gates but no guards and in that case, there's approximately 11,000 people who know the code, including everyone who's ever worked for a pizza delivery service or a package delivery service, everyone who's ever visited friends there, etc. (And even if you didn't know the code, no one seems to mind if you follow them in.) So in those communities, there is zero security involved but I guess it makes people feel better to have a gate that they have to click open.

Lastly, to paraphrase my mother, if have a gate or guard for your community, it begs the question, why do you need a gate/guard? Is the area unsafe or prone to burglars trying to steal everyone's jewelry? Are people unfriendly or uppity? It's not very welcoming in terms of curb appeal to your community. As a result, it isolates your community more because people are kept out and may not feel particularly welcome if they do come in for a sanctioned visit or social call.

Personally I don't mind people running or biking along my street usually but I also understand at least some of the impulse to have a South American-style Walled Compound where no one can bother you. Sure, sometimes you just want to be left alone. So I do understand that impulse especially I suppose if one was an athlete or celebrity or something. So I certainly get why some people want to be secluded.

Also, gated and guarded communities are much more likely to be in an HOA, since there has to exist some sort of community association to pay for the security personnel and equipment, which is something a lot of people don't want anyway. I prefer custom homes and visual variety in home and landscape design.
I actually very much agree with you regarding gated communities as I'm not really a fan of them either.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

I just want to know why did you move to a desert if you loathe desert scenery so much?
I don't get that either. I personally love the areas that look like "raw" desert such as parts of north Scottsdale or Cave Creek. I think green grass looks out of place (soft lush grass doesn't really grow here anyway) here just as it would look out of place to see Xerscaping in the midwest. Of course, I also ask myself why people move to the desert that loathe the heat and the sun, too. Makes no sense!

Old 09-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't get that either. I personally love the areas that look like "raw" desert such as parts of north Scottsdale or Cave Creek. I think green grass looks out of place (soft lush grass doesn't really grow here anyway) here just as it would look out of place to see Xerscaping in the midwest. Of course, I also ask myself why people move to the desert that loathe the heat and the sun, too. Makes no sense!
Well, that's your opinion and your preference. Not everybody feels the same way, and it's obvious that grass & shade are highly preferred based on the number of greenbelts that exist in parts of central Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, and elsewhere. If you like the more natural look of north Scottsdale & Cave Creek, go live there (if you don't already).

Those who move here and attempt to dictate what kind of landscape we should have are detestable. Green lawns & trees have been established here for decades. It's mostly the newer suburban developments which are lacking greenery. Besides, not everybody is here for the sun or desert environment ... there are some people who actually live here for more essential reasons believe it or not!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:13 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Well, that's your opinion and your preference. Not everybody feels the same way, and it's obvious that grass & shade are highly preferred based on the number of greenbelts that exist in parts of central Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, and elsewhere. If you like the more natural look of north Scottsdale & Cave Creek, go live there (if you don't already).

Those who move here and attempt to dictate what kind of landscape we should have are detestable. Green lawns & trees have been established here for decades. It's mostly the newer suburban developments which are lacking greenery. Besides, not everybody is here for the sun or desert environment ... there are some people who actually live here for more essential reasons believe it or not!
Yes it IS my opinion and my preference, as I stated in the first line of my post. When I moved into my house I had a lush green lawn. I stopped watering it, and it is dying nicely. Who needs to mow the stupid grass when it is 118? (yes I love the heat but I don't want to do yard work in it) The plan is to replace the grass, at least in front, with Xerscaping.

What is essential to you is not necessarily essential to everyone else. Doing constant yard maintenance is very non-essential to me, and having a low maintenance yard is one of the bonuses of living in the desert if you choose to not waste time and water (and $$$) on grass.

If you had lived anywhere else, with almost daily yard work (or at the very least weekly), for most of your life, you could truly appreciate the ease of having a "desert-y" yard here. I have other things to worry about than cutting the stupid grass! (and hated wasting money on a mower) I know the sellers put in that grass to give it curb appeal, but I just saw it as another chore I don't need. I've spent enough decades cutting grass. I'm over it. Moving someplace where it isn't required or even necessarily expected is a blessing.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:

If you had lived anywhere else, with almost daily yard work (or at the very least weekly), for most of your life, you could truly appreciate the ease of having a "desert-y" yard here. I have other things to worry about than cutting the stupid grass! (and hated wasting money on a mower) I know the sellers put in that grass to give it curb appeal, but I just saw it as another chore I don't need. I've spent enough decades cutting grass. I'm over it. Moving someplace where it isn't required or even necessarily expected is a blessing.

Ha Ha, $90/month for yard maintenance including the grass is money well spent in my case. That's a small price to pay for having a decent looking yard as opposed to unusable cactus and gravel. As for me, people ask why some move here if they don't like brown desert, I moved here to try to play football in college as a walk-on, got my MBA here, and came back after college because of the contacts I made here and better environment for starting my business. Believe it or not, many people move here not because of the love of heat or the desert, there are varying reasons.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:36 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
This is Oakwood Hills in Chandler that azriverfan spoke about earlier. Clearly it is not everyone's cup of tea, but it cannot be argued that it is not greener than the bulk of PV. PV is too brown for my tastes

Old 09-15-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yes it IS my opinion and my preference, as I stated in the first line of my post. When I moved into my house I had a lush green lawn. I stopped watering it, and it is dying nicely. Who needs to mow the stupid grass when it is 118? (yes I love the heat but I don't want to do yard work in it) The plan is to replace the grass, at least in front, with Xerscaping.
OK, fine. Do what you want with your landscape, but just don't be one of the meddlers who wants to outlaw all grass lawns, or dictate what every homeowner should plant just because it's a "desert".

Quote:
What is essential to you is not necessarily essential to everyone else. Doing constant yard maintenance is very non-essential to me, and having a low maintenance yard is one of the bonuses of living in the desert if you choose to not waste time and water (and $$$) on grass.
I meant essential as far as what's important in life. For instance: having a decent job that pays the bills is a lot more essential than the weather, and I'm sure most everybody would agree. Some people actually move here strictly for the warm sunny climate with no job lined up, and then end up being unhappy.

Quote:
If you had lived anywhere else, with almost daily yard work (or at the very least weekly), for most of your life, you could truly appreciate the ease of having a "desert-y" yard here.
Again, personal preference. I have an abundance of grass & trees, which admittedly are a lot of maintenance, but they make my home much more pleasing to look at and be outdoors during much of the year. I hire a guy to do my yardwork in the summer months so I can avoid being out in the heat, and I'm only here part time in the summer anyway. I don't appreciate the deserty yards because they're unattractive to me, and the ones with crushed rock contribute to the heat island effect. But if you like the appearance of that kind of landscape, more power to you. I'll keep my greenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Ha Ha, $90/month for yard maintenance including the grass is money well spent in my case. That's a small price to pay for having a decent looking yard as opposed to unusable cactus and gravel. As for me, people ask why some move here if they don't like brown desert, I moved here to try to play football in college as a walk-on, got my MBA here, and came back after college because of the contacts I made here and better environment for starting my business. Believe it or not, many people move here not because of the love of heat or the desert, there are varying reasons.
Well said! More proof that there are many people who move here for other reasons besides the climate or the desert environs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area