Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:24 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times

Advertisements

My inlaws are hispanic and live in a hispanic neighborhood. In 2012 people from Obamas campaign team were going door to door to "help" people fill out their mail in ballots. They had previously went door to door to register and sign them up for mail in ballots. They basically were telling them how to vote and how to register. I find it somewhat dishonest to do it this way, but I am sure they will be doing once again this year.

Also, have you seen Mexican media! They are crazy biased, almost to the point of lying. They have a major hard on for Hillary.

BTW, I hate Trump and Clinton equally, no agenda here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
No:

Latino Voters: Low Turnout, Less Support for Democrats - NBC News

"Hispanic voters made up only 8 percent of 2014 voters, compared to 10 percent in 2012, a disappointment to voter advocates who hoped that Latino votes would increase at least due to the growing population. In 2010, the last midterm election year, they were 7 percent of voters, according to Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project.

And Democrats did not garner the support they were hoping to get from Latino voters."

And no, I don't believe it will be much different this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Um...That's got to be a joke, right? Undocumented immigrants cannot vote sir...So yes, they would be referring to Citizens of the United States that happen to be Hispanic.
As per a supreme court ruling, yes, illegal aliens most certainly potentially can.

No proof required! Supreme Court makes it easy for illegals to sign up to vote | BizPac Review

Supreme Court strikes down Arizona law requiring proof of citizenship to vote - U.S. News

Wonder if I can play this game and get away with refusing to show ID in various ways when it's required of me?

Last edited by stevek64; 09-14-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 01:40 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Um...That's got to be a joke, right? Undocumented immigrants cannot vote sir...
mmm hmmm... just keep telling yourself that...

Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
I don't really understand the anger and fear. How many instances can you prove that have occurred wherein illegal residents voted? A lot of states have voter ID laws on the books now, so there should be some people being caught if there really are illegal residents trying to vote.

Even if we allowed non-citizens to vote ... and advertised on billboards ... how many do you think would actually show up to vote? I think most of them would probably be scared of being found out or trapped somehow and being deported. I certainly wouldn't risk trying to vote illegally if I was here illegally...why take the risk?

I am NOT in favor of letting non-citizens vote, but nothing I've seen has ever demonstrated that it's a problem that occurs more than once in a blue moon. Don't you figure more votes are lost in the mail, or miscalculated by the machines because someone didn't fill in their arrow just right?

This obsessive focus on a 1/1000th of a percent problem seems illogical when there are real issues that affect elections much more significantly, e.g. the long lines that should have cost Helen Purcell her job in the primary. (And yes, I understand that some people probably were happy to see the lines for partisan reasons.)

Old 09-14-2016, 02:04 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
In typical fashion, all the DNC has to do is visit some local cemetaries to drum up some votes.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:15 PM

445 posts, read 515,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
In typical fashion, all the DNC has to do is visit some local cemetaries to drum up some votes.
No, they only do that back where we're from.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I don't really understand the anger and fear. How many instances can you prove that have occurred wherein illegal residents voted? A lot of states have voter ID laws on the books now, so there should be some people being caught if there really are illegal residents trying to vote.

Even if we allowed non-citizens to vote ... and advertised on billboards ... how many do you think would actually show up to vote? I think most of them would probably be scared of being found out or trapped somehow and being deported. I certainly wouldn't risk trying to vote illegally if I was here illegally...why take the risk?

I am NOT in favor of letting non-citizens vote, but nothing I've seen has ever demonstrated that it's a problem that occurs more than once in a blue moon. Don't you figure more votes are lost in the mail, or miscalculated by the machines because someone didn't fill in their arrow just right?

This obsessive focus on a 1/1000th of a percent problem seems illogical when there are real issues that affect elections much more significantly, e.g. the long lines that should have cost Helen Purcell her job in the primary. (And yes, I understand that some people probably were happy to see the lines for partisan reasons.)
Over 1% of the voting age population is registered to vote in more than one state. Every year they arrest people for voting more than once. The national media won't say much but you will see it in the local papers where it happens.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Over 1% of the voting age population is registered to vote in more than one state. Every year they arrest people for voting more than once. The national media won't say much but you will see it in the local papers where it happens.
Definitely. This is more of a concern/problem to me. It's not very convenient for most people but if you lived near the state line I think it would be very feasible and that is a concern. I'm sure someone does it, although probably not in huge numbers.

One year after she went off to college my sister voted in that state but when I voted in my local state as an 18 year old, she was still on the ballot to vote in that state as well. Additionally, I also am not convinced that you couldn't necessarily vote by early ballot and in person in at least some states/situations because back when my wife voted early and I did not, she was still on the list to vote in person just like I was. So I always wondered, what's to stop someone from doing both? Hopefully the technology is smarter than that but who really knows since the ballot itself doesn't have a name on it, only the envelopes (for early ballot) and the sign-in books (for in-person polling).

One of the things primary loser Aaron Flannery wanted to do was purge and modernize the voter rolls. I hope Helen Purcell works on that too.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:27 PM

656 posts, read 813,465 times
"The holy grail for Democrats and national policy analysts is the Hispanic vote. As of last year, the state was nearly 31 percent Latino and 56 percent Anglo. The first number has risen since 2010 while the latter has fallen. Yet the enduring truth through every election cycle is that the right-wing Anglos vote and "the Mexicans" don't. Voter suppression is real, but the apathy on the part of Hispanic voters is the bigger problem. - Jon Talton

Old 09-14-2016, 04:13 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
"The holy grail for Democrats and national policy analysts is the Hispanic vote. As of last year, the state was nearly 31 percent Latino and 56 percent Anglo. The first number has risen since 2010 while the latter has fallen. Yet the enduring truth through every election cycle is that the right-wing Anglos vote and "the Mexicans" don't. Voter suppression is real, but the apathy on the part of Hispanic voters is the bigger problem. - Jon Talton
I probably wouldn't frame it this way, but it's very accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: