Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:28 PM

14 posts, read 31,931 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Phoenix area as he has been approached by a company in Mesa (border of Gilbert and Mesa). I am thinking for my career I am going to have to look in the down town, central and camelback corridors. I dont want both of us to have long commutes so I am trying to figure out what are good areas for us to look. We have a son who will be starting Kindergarten next year so a good school district is a must. We are looking to move probably December this year. We want to buy but will probably rent for 6 months to a year just to make sure we know where we want to live. Our rental budget would probably be $1400-$1500 a month. We currently live in San Diego and my current commute to work is about an hour each way so I am not opposed to doing something like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgida View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Phoenix area as he has been approached by a company in Mesa (border of Gilbert and Mesa). I am thinking for my career I am going to have to look in the down town, central and camelback corridors. I dont want both of us to have long commutes so I am trying to figure out what are good areas for us to look. We have a son who will be starting Kindergarten next year so a good school district is a must. We are looking to move probably December this year. We want to buy but will probably rent for 6 months to a year just to make sure we know where we want to live. Our rental budget would probably be $1400-$1500 a month. We currently live in San Diego and my current commute to work is about an hour each way so I am not opposed to doing something like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Tempe, south Scottsdale (south of Osborn) or central Scottsdale (Osborn to McCormack)

Old 09-15-2016, 03:12 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Tempe, south Scottsdale (south of Osborn) or central Scottsdale (Osborn to McCormack)
I'd agree, with a strong preference for Tempe or Central Scottsdale.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Central Tempe, South of Broadway but north of the 60 has some nice areas and is reasonable in cost with great freeway access and public transportation. I'd say commutes from that area to Downtown range between 20 and 35 min depending on the severity of whatever is happening on the Freeways at that time.

A little shortcut that saves time however. Take Southern or Broadway to 48th Street, take it to the 143 then from there to Washington where the lights are timed into Downtown.

In addition Scottsdale is a worth a strong look.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Central Tempe, South of Broadway but north of the 60 has some nice areas and is reasonable in cost with great freeway access and public transportation. I'd say commutes from that area to Downtown range between 20 and 35 min depending on the severity of whatever is happening on the Freeways at that time.

A little shortcut that saves time however. Take Southern or Broadway to 48th Street, take it to the 143 then from there to Washington where the lights are timed into Downtown.

In addition Scottsdale is a worth a strong look.
Or you can cut through the airport, I used to do it alot when I lived in Gilbert

Old 09-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Or you can cut through the airport, I used to do it alot when I lived in Gilbert
I used to do that commuting from Downtown to Tempe from the I10 when traffic was stopped up at the Curve.

However, one day I was trapped at the airport for 2.5 hours for some "incident," haven't done it since.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 AM

14 posts, read 31,931 times
So if we were looking in Gilbert would that be way out of the way?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:33 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
I live in Mesa near the 60 and I travel to Tempe every morning. I carpool with my wife and on a good day it will take us 20-25 minutes in the HOV lane. We also travelled the streets and it took us a solid 30 minutes. Now, in the event of an accident, all bets are off!

Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgida View Post
So if we were looking in Gilbert would that be way out of the way?
If you have to commute to Downtown, it's not out of the way per se, since a lot of people make that commute, but it's not a commute I would ever recommend. This is true of everywhere, but it seems to be more prevalent here, the commute via freeway is wildly unpredictable. It might take you 35 min to get to work, it might take 1.5hrs to get to work. That kind of uncertainty always bothered me when I lived in Chandler, so I moved to Central Phoenix.

If I were in your position I would look at places between where your husband works and where you will be working, some of the best areas of the whole city are between Mesa and Downtown.

In your shoes I'd give a very serious look at East Phoenix, Central Tempe, Southern Tempe, Northern Chandler, and Central Scottsdale.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:32 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Tempe or Ahwatukee within the Kyrene school district sounds like the ticket to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area