Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 AM

510 posts, read 1,459,359 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would like advice and tips on how to deal with SCORPIONS, BUGS, AND HOW THE CLIMATE AND SUCH PESTS AFFECT DOGS AS WELL AS LANDSCAPING ADVICE TO HELP REPEL PESTS: ALSO Qs ABOUT FLEAS & MOSQUIOTOS/HEARTWORM. WHEW!!

1.) Scorpions: We were discussing this on another thread and I feel I would like to hear more info and advice from the locals! I was under the impression that if you moved to a "settled" area that they are not a problem unless the soil is disturbed, but now I am wondering... Exactly HOW often do you see these little fellers near/in your house? If you come home at night, do you have to make a "mad dash" for the door, so they don't sneak in...or...what? Does it help or hurt to leave outdoor lights on?

I know they like to live under "rocks"...but does that also include landscape pebbles/lava type stones? Would a small garden fountain attract them or other pests? Does anybody have any tips on scorpions and bugs?

Someone suggested a chemical... (Demand, CS) and said that by spraying the house perimeter 2 or 3 times a year, she no longer sees any live scorpions. I wonder about pet safety when it comes to chemicals...I guess I can go look that up myself! lol!

2.) About pets: What is Valley Fever and do I have to worry about it if I bring a dog from the Midwest?

Are there breeds that just do not do well in the heat? Is it economically practical to air condition a garage so the dog could have a "doggie door" to go in and out during the day, or must a large dog be kept inside the house in the air during the day?

3) Scorpions and Dogs: My dogs are VERY nosey!! I have one small dog and she will want to eat a scorpion!! Can it kill her? Will nature help her "get a clue"??? I saw a video of a cat who would run from scorpions because she had been stung in the past. Is there any way to "train" a pet to be afraid of scorpions (I know that sounded dumb, but...hey...it's late!)

In the Midwest we have a large yard with a solid fence and good watchful neighbors. I feel comfortable leaving my big dogs outside in nice weather. Is that practical during the milder months in/around Phoenix? I do not want to come home to a dog stung to death. It may sound silly, but I have to ask. Do you have to keep an eye on them every minute?

4.) What about taking an evening walk? Up here, if it is hot and humid, we get eaten by mosquitoes. In AZ, what are the issues for me and for my dogs? Scorpions? City/Suburbs is the main areas I am referring to. A coyote wouldn't attack my little dog on a leash near me? Would it?

5.) What about FLEAS and HEARTWORM in Phoenix? Do you treat with Heart-Guard...??? Do you treat year round? Are there lots mosquitoes out there? I've heard people say there are none and no fleas...but I find that hard to believe.

There you go!! I think that is enough for now!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post

1.) Scorpions: We were discussing this on another thread and I feel I would like to hear more info and advice from the locals! I was under the impression that if you moved to a "settled" area that they are not a problem unless the soil is disturbed, but now I am wondering... Exactly HOW often do you see these little fellers near/in your house? If you come home at night, do you have to make a "mad dash" for the door, so they don't sneak in...or...what? Does it help or hurt to leave outdoor lights on?

I know they like to live under "rocks"...but does that also include landscape pebbles/lava type stones? Would a small garden fountain attract them or other pests? Does anybody have any tips on scorpions and bugs?

Someone suggested a chemical... (Demand, CS) and said that by spraying the house perimeter 2 or 3 times a year, she no longer sees any live scorpions. I wonder about pet safety when it comes to chemicals...I guess I can go look that up myself! lol!
From my experience, leaving a light on/off makes no difference.

How old the neighborhood makes no difference. My neighborhood was built in 1976 and we have a ton of scorps. We also have a lot of open space around us though.

Scorps will hide under anything, big, small, grass, rocks, woodchips...that being said, I do walk around in my flipflops all the time and haven't been stung yet. I'm not afraid of them, though I have seen them in my shower before, so now I always wear flipflops when I shower. They move slowly though, so if you keep your eyes open, it's not a big deal.

We use diamotaceous earth to get rid of them, and it's worked for us so far. It's non-toxic to humans and animals. It's basically fossil dust, which is too big to get into your pores, though you want to wear a mask when you're sprinkling it so that you don't breathe it in. We noticed a huge decrease in the population from one week to the next after using it around the outside of the house.

We've only seen a few inside of the house, so there are no mad dashes made here.

You can use a blacklight at night to see them. they'll glow green.

I believe that scorps are attracted to water, which might be why I saw one in the shower. They don't live in water, but I think they need it just like every other creature. I don't know if a fountain will attract them. I have heard that citrus trees attract them. We do have an orange tree in the backyard as well as some of the high plateau pines that they like.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
From my experience, leaving a light on/off makes no difference.

Scorps will hide under anything, big, small, grass, rocks, woodchips...that being said, I do walk around in my flipflops all the time and haven't been stung yet. I'm not afraid of them, though I have seen them in my shower before, so now I always wear flipflops when I shower. They move slowly though, so if you keep your eyes open, it's not a big deal.

Anyway, hope that helps.

I always thought they moved slowy too! Until I saw this video:

YouTube - Scorpion Pt. I - 8/22/06

Okay, maybe it wasn't THAT fast......But still!!

I have a family member who is highly allergic to bees, and while I don't know if the problem will present wih a scorpion bite, I would like to reduce the risk. If a person is extremely dilligent about plugging up tiny holes, cracks...are you still likley to encounter them INSIDE your home?

Notice the cat in the video runs away.

I like your other suggestions and I am adding them to my list of "Things to do" Thanks!!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Cedar Oil??

I just looked a few posts above this and there is an ad for something with CEDAR OIL...has anyone used it and does it work?

Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,602 times
I didn't realize those Bark scorpions were so little..

Cats are natural Scorpion hunters.. Let's not forget where cats came from.. The Desert

Scorpions really scared me at first, but i've gotten used to them with some education, in fact when I move and if I encounter one i'd like to capture it and look at it.

I've heard various stories of people getting stung by a bark scorpion and compared it with a bee sting, No big deal. Unless you're allergic to them.

The way I see it is, if you live somewhere where it's nice literally 100% of the year, these creatures will exist.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:57 PM

25 posts, read 57,056 times
I keep hearing about all these different types of insects and roof rats and whatever. I have visited Arizona twice and haven't seen any of these bugs or roof rats. nor do I want to I hate insects very much. I am considering moving to Scottsdale this spring but I keep having doubts about it with all the scorpions,snakes,roof rats, etc sounds like its a SciFi movie

Old 02-23-2008, 01:16 PM

641 posts, read 2,365,695 times
Well I have been in my new house one week, and day two, I just finished my business on the toilet, and when I flushed it, it flushed down a black scorp about 3 inches long.
That gave me the heebe jeebies to think where I could have been stung. Now I am afraid to use the toilet,lol

Old 02-23-2008, 02:21 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
I didn't see any scorpions or centipedes in my home in Surprise...Which was surprising because I was expecting them...Did see a black widow in the garage and some coyotes running around the neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:04 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
5.) What about FLEAS and HEARTWORM in Phoenix? Do you treat with Heart-Guard...??? Do you treat year round? Are there lots mosquitoes out there? I've heard people say there are none and no fleas...but I find that hard to believe.
I treat both my dogs with Heart-Guard every month. Mosquitoes come out during the summer when we get some rain, mostly July, August, and September. The mosquitoes here are different, they're little guys that stay low to the ground and bite you around the ankles. I never see many of the big ones that buzz around your face and arms. Haven't had much of a problem with fleas, might just be another summertime thing.

We live in the middle of the city so we don't have many snakes or scorpions. You can get your dog trained to stay away from rattlesnakes, not sure about scorpions. It's a good idea to keep your dog close to you when out for a walk, I wouldn't ever let my dogs run loose off their leash for a lot of reasons. There's less to worry about during the mild weather because many of the desert's creatures don't become as active until it gets warm. You'd have a hard time spotting a rattlesnake during the winter, but they'll be coming out in the next couple months.

I've lived in Arizona about twenty three years and I think I've seen five rattlesnakes and one Gila Monster. But I lived in an apartment complex that became infested with scorpions. They started spraying and removed all the ground cover so that within a couple months there weren't as many. In fact, I've never seen another scorpion since then. That was fifteen years ago.

I have two worries for my dogs, jumping chollas and coyotes. The cholla is a cactus that when it gets stuck to you or your dog can be a nightmare to get off. I carry a comb with a long handle for removing big clumps of cholla when they get stuck on me or my dogs. But they learn quickly to stay away from them.

Coyotes can be a big concern because they are everywhere. Years ago I was hiking with my dog, Press, at Shaw Butte and we came upon a coyote. This was back when I didn't always have my dog on a leash. Press saw the coyote and took off running after it. I yelled and got her to stop, but then the coyote came back and got her to start chasing it again. I yelled at her again and she stopped. One more time, the coyote came back and got Press to start chasing it again. I yelled at her again and this time I was able to get her back and get a leash on her. Thank goodness I did, because when I looked up I saw that single coyote trotting away up the hillside. On the side of the hill, about 50 yards from us, there was a pack of about half a dozen coyotes. That single coyote was trying to lure my dog up the hill and right in the middle of an ambush. My dog wouldn't have stood a chance against all those coyotes.

Contrary to the cartoons, coyotes are much smarter than Roadrunners.
I'm just thankful they don't really have access to the ACME Supply Company. But they're very good at adapting to their environment. We have them right in the middle of town here in Tucson. I've seen them walking down the middle of the street. One of the best ways to get them coming around your house is by leaving food out, especially dog food. Or by feeding wildlife and starting a food chain in your backyard. People that have cats and let them roam around a neighborhood, probably have the most to worry about.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
Well I have been in my new house one week, and day two, I just finished my business on the toilet, and when I flushed it, it flushed down a black scorp about 3 inches long.
That gave me the heebe jeebies to think where I could have been stung. Now I am afraid to use the toilet,lol

I am speechless. You're...uh...SURE it was a scorpion?

When you say "new" house was it a newly constructed area?

Are you going to have an exterminator come out????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area