Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:51 AM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

One other piece of advice I'd offer, if you can swing it, don't rent in Gilbert or Queen Creek. Pick somewhere more Central. If I were in your shoes I'd shoot to stay close to downtown on or around the area called Roosevelt Row. This is the home of Phoenix's burgeoning local arts scene and one of the coolest neighborhoods in America, according to some survey. You'll find yourself immersed in arts, culture, local chefs, and never a lack of things to do. By bike or light rail you'll have access to many of the largest concert venues in Phoenix, pro sports, a dozen or so museums, one of the largest monthly art-walks in the country and some amazing craft breweries and smaller music venues like Cresent and Valley Bar.

It's a much better place to live then Gilbert/Queen Creek when it comes to both to walkability and things to do.
Umm, the OP refers to moving here with his family. If that includes children, I'm not so sure I'd agree that Roosevelt Row is such a great choice.

I'm also not so sure that moving without any job when you have kids is such a great idea, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 10:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,711,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Umm, the OP refers to moving here with his family. If that includes children, I'm not so sure I'd agree that Roosevelt Row is such a great choice.

I'm also not so sure that moving without any job when you have kids is such a great idea, either.
True, some more info on the family situation would be helpful to understand.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:22 AM

129 posts, read 150,162 times
[QUOTE/]One other piece of advice I'd offer, if you can swing it, don't rent in Gilbert or Queen Creek. Pick somewhere more Central. If I were in your shoes I'd shoot to stay close to downtown on or around the area called Roosevelt Row. This is the home of Phoenix's burgeoning local arts scene and one of the coolest neighborhoods in America, according to some survey. You'll find yourself immersed in arts, culture, local chefs, and never a lack of things to do. By bike or light rail you'll have access to many of the largest concert venues in Phoenix, pro sports, a dozen or so museums, one of the largest monthly art-walks in the country and some amazing craft breweries and smaller music venues like Cresent and Valley Bar.

It's a much better place to live then Gilbert/Queen Creek when it comes to both to walkability and things to do.[/quote]

I would agree with you that the area you mentioned is definitely more lively and full of things to do opposed to the boring suburbs. Though those of us that are raising small children and prefer a home with a yard, albeit tiny and cookie cutter do not live close to downtown.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,787 times
Thanks for all the reply's.

I have 3 kids and a wife. That is why Gilbert/Queen Creek is more of a fit for us.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM

572 posts, read 1,681,417 times
I'd echo the above thoughts and add that if you are planning on moving here without a job, plan on coming with enough $ to cover at least 6 months of living expenses (rent, food, utils, etc.) Yes, the cost of living here is MUCH less than the NY/NJ area, but it's luck of the draw. Also, as someone else said, be willing to take something else, anything else, until something opens in your preferred job market. We were lucky - we moved to PHX almost two years ago, and found jobs in our fields relatively quickly, but the money ran out quite quickly and we struggled for a bit.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 8,582 times
Hey Frank

I spoke with the dad of one of my son's friends from school. He moved out here from Colorado @ a year ago and both he and his wife are in IT. He managed developers/coders in Colorado but is primarily doing coding out here. He used a local recruiter bot also suggested that signing up for the Premium Package of Linkedin is a good idea for IT. With all of the IT companies out here like Amazon/Intel/Google/Apple/Microsoft he thinks you should be able to land a job within a month if you have the necessary skill set/experience. As far as commuting from the east valley (Gilbert/Chandler/Queen Creek) there is some good news. It appears that they are finally going to begin the construction to complete the 202 loop. That would help tremendously for people commuting from the east valley. Probably be 3 or 4 years till its complete. Hope that helps!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:45 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,005,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its a far better idea to land a job before relocating. I know several people in IT, and its hit-or-miss when it comes to looking for jobs. They appear to be plentiful, but word of mouth is many don't pay very well. Again, this is only what Ive been told from a few friends of mine who are in that field.
I work in IT and got a job before moving here. I didn't feel comfortable moving here before having something. As far as pay, it comes down to perspective. Coming from NY/NJ, yes salaries will be lower. But so will the cost of living. So it could be a wash for you. Good luck to you!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:09 AM

896 posts, read 1,473,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Hi Frank,

I'll start off by stating I have no idea about the IT job market or industry for that matter. However, my husband and I moved to the Phoenix valley from NJ in 2009. It was a different time economy wise back then, but we found employment within 3 months after moving here.

Are there a few reasons you are wanting to move here? I ask because we fled NJ due to the cost of living, we were paying $1200 a month for a tiny 600 sqft 1 br apartment in Scotch Plains. The cost of living is much less here, much more affordable however the pay is much less. You will not find high wages like in NJ or NY anywhere else, besides perhaps Northern California. So the high wages go hand in hand with high cost of living and vice versa.

I'll say this, I've lived here for 7 years now and do miss many aspects of New Jersey such as the following:
-diverse population (segregation and racism towards Mexicans-Mexican Americans and even liberals/conservatives is obvious)
- change of seasons ...may sound crazy but I do get tired of the oppressive sunshine. The immense summer heat would be more tolerable with partly cloudy skies, but we rarely have clouds. You learn to hide from the sun. Pumpkin picking in 90 weather is strange (Schnepf Farms) we prefer to drive two hours north to do a day of fall activities.
-the ocean This is a huge one for me. Driving 5 hours to San Diego is just not possible to do as often as you'd like, especially with small children in tow. Costs add up and the drive is tiresome. Can't go down the shore for the day.
- Education The worst part for me as my children grow. AZ ranks the 48th or 49th state in education, and it shows! There are a handful of great primary schools in the valley, but many are charter and never a guarantee. NJ ranks #2 in the nation on the other hand.
-Culture/History Honestly, not trying to bash the Phoenix valley (since I am sure Tucson and the high country have much more history--but I learned more about Native American culture and history when I lived in Warren County NJ. There is no history, no culture other than the college party scene, Scottsdale party scene, Outdoorsy scene (which requires lengthy drives up north) or your good ol' suburban sprawl family scene. I miss driving past the colonial homes, plaques and old towns where you could feel and sometimes see the history. The majority of the suburbs out here are suburban sprawl, strip malls with lots of restaurants and shops since that is mostly all people do- go out to eat and shop.
-Transient people Perhaps living in a smaller suburb I have seen this more than say Chandler or Gilbert, but I can't tell you how many people I have seen come and go in AZ. It is not easy to make friends, so it gets very disappointing when the ones you do befriend end up moving back home or somewhere else. I want my young girls to make friends for life, not for this season.
- Summer lasts from April-October Temps in high 80's/mid 90's start in March/April and just sky rocket from there. We hibernate in the summer while everyone else in the country is out enjoying the weather, when they pack inside to brace the cold we come out and enjoy life again. It takes a long time to get use to that switch.

I think the novelty of living out west, where everything is brand new and clean wore off after a couple of years. In no way was I anticipating or hoping for a "Cheaper NJ out west". I embraced the west coast vibe, albeit took me a few years. But there is just something about the east coast that speaks to me. AZ is a beautiful state and great place to live for many. But I think it becomes home to so many escaping more expensive states, without many taking into consideration what they gave up or exchanged for the cheaper rent/mortgages.

In my own opinion, I believe Arizona is like Florida and Pennsylvania. Great place to visit, vacation and retire like Florida but I would never live in FL. Cheaper cost of living, slower pace, more spread and a less expensive nearby state for California just like Pennsylvania is for New Jersey. I have a cousin who lives in Sedona with her family, while we visit a few times a year and it is absolutely magical, I couldn't live up there either.

That being said my family and I are looking to relocate to North Carolina by the first of the year. Ready to enjoy mild four seasons, east coast vibes, familiar culture and the beach of course!

I would honestly visit a few more times before you decide to pick up and relocate. If you have any questions feel free to pm and I would be happy to answer. I simply stated my opinion, AZ may be the perfect fit for you. Just doing part in helping someone think and think again, as I begin to budget another cross country move.
I'd free up a spot in Phoenix for someone else if I were you.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom-NY2AZ View Post
Hey Frank

I spoke with the dad of one of my son's friends from school. He moved out here from Colorado @ a year ago and both he and his wife are in IT. He managed developers/coders in Colorado but is primarily doing coding out here. He used a local recruiter bot also suggested that signing up for the Premium Package of Linkedin is a good idea for IT. With all of the IT companies out here like Amazon/Intel/Google/Apple/Microsoft he thinks you should be able to land a job within a month if you have the necessary skill set/experience. As far as commuting from the east valley (Gilbert/Chandler/Queen Creek) there is some good news. It appears that they are finally going to begin the construction to complete the 202 loop. That would help tremendously for people commuting from the east valley. Probably be 3 or 4 years till its complete. Hope that helps!
How is the 202 going around South Mountain and connecting somewhere around 59th avenue or so going to help anyone commuting from the east valley? I don't know anyone driving to the west side for jobs, they're either going downtown or somewhere else in the east valley. Most of the technology companies are located near the 101, Tempe, Scottsdale and some in downtown Phoenix/Biltmore area.

I see this as a reliever for people coming from the West to avoid downtown, which could possibly reduce some of the usual congestion people get from the west side to downtown Phoenix on the 10 every morning. Otherwise I think the east side is pretty much done for freeway development.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
[QUOTE/]One other piece of advice I'd offer, if you can swing it, don't rent in Gilbert or Queen Creek. Pick somewhere more Central. If I were in your shoes I'd shoot to stay close to downtown on or around the area called Roosevelt Row. This is the home of Phoenix's burgeoning local arts scene and one of the coolest neighborhoods in America, according to some survey. You'll find yourself immersed in arts, culture, local chefs, and never a lack of things to do. By bike or light rail you'll have access to many of the largest concert venues in Phoenix, pro sports, a dozen or so museums, one of the largest monthly art-walks in the country and some amazing craft breweries and smaller music venues like Cresent and Valley Bar.

It's a much better place to live then Gilbert/Queen Creek when it comes to both to walkability and things to do.
I would agree with you that the area you mentioned is definitely more lively and full of things to do opposed to the boring suburbs. Though those of us that are raising small children and prefer a home with a yard, albeit tiny and cookie cutter do not live close to downtown.[/quote]

Yeah, I missed the part about him having 3 kids at first. There are homes with yards close to downtown but the safer areas tend to be pricey and the low cost areas tend to be dicey. I understand living in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area