Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times

Advertisements

I would doubt very seriously that these drivers have a license which enables them to legally drive with passengers for hire as required by law.
I would really worry the little things like inspections of the car being done daily on the cars, maintenance and such. You know, the stuff that can get you killed.
Also, in some states your insurance does not mean much if they find out you are using your car for hired transport. They will take your money, but try to collect.
Uber and many companies out there hire you as an independent contractor making you responsible to comply with all rules and regulations as the driver.
Like someone said, you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:32 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I would doubt very seriously that these drivers have a license which enables them to legally drive with passengers for hire as required by law.
I believe only the Uber Black requires the driver to have that commercial license.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I would really worry the little things like inspections of the car being done daily on the cars, maintenance and such. You know, the stuff that can get you killed.
Also, in some states your insurance does not mean much if they find out you are using your car for hired transport. They will take your money, but try to collect.
Uber and many companies out there hire you as an independent contractor making you responsible to comply with all rules and regulations as the driver.
Like someone said, you get what you pay for.
This is well stated. In a sense, Uber and Lyft are basically like hitchhiking, except you pay a fare. You "stick your thumb out" (use the App) and passing/nearby drivers "see you" (on the App) and decide if they want to pick you up or not.

So, you are getting in the car with an unregulated stranger who got a job over the internet and could literally be anyone. In theory you could be the first fare for a truly frightening person -- the previous post about the drunk driver being one example, I am sure they will NOT last long but in the meantime they're scaring off a lot of good customers by being unsafe and frightening.

At least a taxi driver at some point in time has had some human interaction and is accountable in person to a physical company and to a state regulatory commission. They also have well-documented safety records over a historical time period that shows them to be twice as safe as the average driver, as referenced in some of my older posts (I can always dig it up again if need be). Granted, I understand that just not being intoxicated probably has a lot to do with being a safer-than-average driver given how many drunk/high drivers are out there on the roads, but data is data.

It seems like the two attitudes on this issue are as follows:
If you are the type of person who would happily pay a total stranger $20 to drive you from Buckeye to the airport because it's a screaming deal, then Uber/Lyft are for you.

If you are the type of person who would not feel comfortable with that arrangement and would rather call a cab or a limo or a Super Shuttle and pay $50 to have a professional, however mediocre, take you on that same drive, then Uber/Lyft are not for you.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM

169 posts, read 281,358 times
Public transport in Phoenix is almost non-existent so Uber must be making a fortune.

In before the light-rail shills. Your white elephant covers an extremely small section of the valley and is slow as hell.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Keep your expectations low and you'll be happy. It's the world we live in....I find many businesses and service don't care/don't have pride in their work these days, no matter what the business or service is.

Not what you want to hear perhaps but I think it's the sad reality.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
Public transport in Phoenix is almost non-existent so Uber must be making a fortune.
They might be, but I heard Uber overall, as a company, is bleeding money left and right to try and offer the cheapest taxi service out there.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:53 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Is it just me but has anyone else observed that Uber has slipped in quality in terms of drivers. It seems like literally anyone can drive for Uber. I've personally observed in my opinon a huge drop off in terms of driver quality. The last 3 or 4 drivers I've had have been unimpressive. Their cars were dirty and old looking. The drivers didn't get out of their cars to help with bags or pull into the driveway. When the service first emerged, it seemed like drivers took pride in what they did and were friendly and cared what you thought about them. Now, it seems like typical taxi service but worse at times in my opinion. I'm referring specifically to the Uberx (the cheapest service). I've had better luck with their more expensive services but it's significantly more expensive.

Has anyone had better luck with Lyft in the Phoenix area or it is the same? I read somewhere from drivers who drove for both services that Lyft interviewed drivers in person and tried to hire more female drivers.
The rates that they pay drivers have continually gotten less and less. A driver only makes 75% - 85% of the fare minus a $1.80 booking fee. At $0.90/mile and $0.09/minute, less 20 - 25%, your Uber driver really isn't making much. People hardly ever tip Uber drivers as well, so drivers aren't as willing to do "extras" for less money. Many of the initial Uber drivers realized that it was a losing proposition and have moved on to other jobs.

Lyft pays essentially the same ridiculously low rates to their drivers but drivers like them a little better as they have an in-app tipping option.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:13 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The "professionals" were less than professional and it's a big reason people left for Uber and Lyft. They were tired of waiting 30 minutes for them to show up, running up the meter, expecting big tips and lying about their credit card machines being broke. I will never resort to taking taxis again but will likely pay for the higher level tier with Uber or Lyft. I may try Lyft and will let everyone know.
I agree, the so-called professional cab drivers are anything but professional, I've had the displeasure of witnessing many of their unique driving habits.

Everything from driving creepy-crawly slow, cutting across multiple traffic lanes, and even running red lights.

I can understand why Uber and Lyft have become so popular, cabs are expensive and many of the drivers drive like they're high on something strong.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I agree, the so-called professional cab drivers are anything but professional, I've had the displeasure of witnessing many of their unique driving habits.

Everything from driving creepy-crawly slow, cutting across multiple traffic lanes, and even running red lights.

I can understand why Uber and Lyft have become so popular, cabs are expensive and many of the drivers drive like they're high on something strong.
But the drivers are basically subsidizing the customers travel with Uber and Lyft since the customers aren't paying the true full cost of the ride. Once expenses are factored in, an Uber or Lyft driver is only making $2/hr give or take. Watch their quality start to slip further and further as the good drivers continue to quit for other jobs

Old 10-13-2016, 04:08 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post

In before the light-rail shills. Your white elephant covers an extremely small section of the valley and is slow as hell.

The city busses are actually pretty nice from the few times I have taken em. I just mean they were right on time, (it was either every 12 minutes or 20 minutes). They have it set up so you can text and find out how many minutes away they are from any stop. All you need to do is get the text number for the specific stop you will be using, and you can check it easily before stepping outside, (which obviously is great in the summer).

As for the light rail, not only is it still fairly new, its still expanding. From my experience the biggest benefit is that the light rail goes to the airport, right to the terminal. If you travel light and get to it without any trouble its definitely better than a vehicle. I have also taken it during rush hour one time heading to North Phoenix from downtown; It took 22 minutes. YOU WILL NEVER DO THAT IN RUSH HOUR IN A VEHICLE. Also during most "drinking holidays" the light rail has extended late (as in 2 am late) hours where I believe its free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: