Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

We're considering spending the holidays at one of those gigantic fabled resorts in Scottsdale. I've been looking at photos of the Fairmont Princess -- it certainly does look relaxing.

Do you have a favorite resort in the area? We don't play golf, but we'd like to swim, perhaps enjoy a few spa services and partake of the restaurants. Which resort has the best restaurant?

Thanks for any leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Hard to go wrong with the Princess

Old 10-14-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Hard to go wrong with the Princess
Because...?

I ask because on TripAdvisor it's only rated 7th out of the 78 hotels in Scottsdale.

On the personal side, we've had a rough couple of years without a decent break. All our travel has been related to family crises. I'm hoping to find a calm, quiet place that doesn't allow locals to bring their kids over for the day to whoop it up around the pool area, for example. Or that isn't currently under construction.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Because...?

I ask because on TripAdvisor it's only rated 7th out of the 78 hotels in Scottsdale.

On the personal side, we've had a rough couple of years without a decent break. All our travel has been related to family crises. I'm hoping to find a calm, quiet place that doesn't allow locals to bring their kids over for the day to whoop it up around the pool area, for example. Or that isn't currently under construction.

Thanks for your comments.

If Trip Advisor ratings matter to you (and 7 out of 78 is certainly not a bad thing) Canyon Suites at the Phoenician (that's #1 on TripAdvisor). Four Seasons at Troon North is #2.

The Boulders in Carefree is another possibility.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If Trip Advisor ratings matter to you (and 7 out of 78 is certainly not a bad thing) Canyon Suites at the Phoenician (that's #1 on TripAdvisor). Four Seasons at Troon North is #2.

The Boulders in Carefree is another possibility.
Well, the TA ratings aren't authoritative, I grant you that. I will often pass on their #1 hotel and try #2 or #3 instead, because I think there's review manipulation that goes on by hoteliers who are convinced they must be in the #1 spot.

The Four Seasons sounds lovely in almost every respect but the fact that the self-parking is very far away from the rooms is a deal-breaker. Even with Canyon Suites at the Phoenician there were complaints about construction noise and these were from just a week ago. I've had the experience of arriving at a hotel only to find that major work is going on in the lobby, breakfast room, hallways, etc. Hotels won't tell you about it in advance. One snippy desk clerk actually told me they'd disclosed it on their website. (They hadn't.)

I will look into the Boulders. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:16 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
FOR SWIMMING
I really enjoy the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Gainey Ranch (on Doubletree Ranch Road), but it has a massive complex of pools and there will be a lot of kids/families there since it has 10 different pools and 5 restaurants and is more of a hotel tower construction. So it is probably too busy for what you're looking for, but generally I do recommend it, try it out next time you have the kids/grandkids with you. The complex of pools is really awesome and it does have a waterslide and a sand beach in one of the pools which is really nice to lounge around on. It's a lot of fun.

The same goes for the Westin Kierland, their pool situation is pretty well regarded. It has a water slide, a "lazy river" and some other pool things going on. But it is also very big so probably kids/noise concerns for you.

FOR PRIVACY/QUIETUDE/SPA

If you are looking for a smaller, more quiet / private getaway with less children / noise, I recommend the Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain...it's on the north side of the mountain off of McDonald in Paradise Valley. Many or all of the rooms are private buildings/casitas and it's very well done. The spa is extremely nice. (My wife and I had massages there when we stayed and I noticed a Suns player at the time in the spa locker room...I figure if it's worth their time, that's a good sign, since money is no object for them and they know their bodies very well.) The restaurant is small/intimate but still very nice, I'd say great for dinner but more average for breakfast. It has a lot of national recognition/rankings if those matter, e.g. Travel and Leisure top resort in the Valley and top-five spa in the country. The pool isn't particularly large or fancy given the location, though, basically just looked like a standard pool, so that may be a big drawback if you're planning to swim a lot. Prices are also quite high.

OTHER
I like the Phoenician but that's in large part just because the restaurant balcony/view is so incredible at night. 10+ out of 10, absolutely amazing experience. JG Steakhouse is the restaurant. The hotel is certainly nice but it didn't wow me relative to some of the other resorts in the area. Regardless of where you stay, may want to drive over there for dinner to enjoy the city lights at night and have a drink or a chat by the fire pits on the balcony.

I've always wanted to try the Boulders up in Carefree/Cave Creek, if you do go there let us know your thoughts.

I guess depending when you're going, the bigger properties will have better deals since they have so many rooms to fill, but we're getting into tourist season so good deals are going to be harder to find. Good luck and happy hunting...the good news is you've got literally dozens of good to great options to choose from.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
The Fairmont Princess is great. It definitely has the feel of a large resort. The rooms are a tad dated but not bad at all. Bourbon Steak has been great when I've been there.

The Sanctuary (Not Scottsdale though) would probably be my choice. It's much smaller, more luxurious and gorgeous.

I also really love the Hotel Valley Ho. Perhaps not as luxurious but the rooms are very nice and the place just feels relaxing. I haven't been to their spa but their VH Spa seems to be well rated. You can't beat the location either where you can walk to tons of great dining options unlike the others.

I was a fan of the Montelucia but a colleague just got back from there and said the property seemed a bit neglected. Perhaps Omni's ownership is still struggling.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 10-14-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
When I read the OP's post, I immediately thought "The Boulders".

Old 10-14-2016, 09:01 AM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We're considering spending the holidays at one of those gigantic fabled resorts in Scottsdale. I've been looking at photos of the Fairmont Princess -- it certainly does look relaxing.

Do you have a favorite resort in the area? We don't play golf, but we'd like to swim, perhaps enjoy a few spa services and partake of the restaurants. Which resort has the best restaurant?

Thanks for any leads.
Christmas at the Princess is one of the best times of the year to be there. Christmas at the Princess | Fairmont Scottsdale

They have a new pool that just opened this summer, and the restaurants are fantastic.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I'm thinking it will be too cold for swimming outdoors around the holidays? Even if the water is heated, do people still do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area