Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Alphabet released a statement that they are going to pause their plans to roll out Google Fiber to potential fiber cities, including Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale.

Advancing our amazing bet

In terms of our existing footprint, in the cities where we’ve launched or are under construction, our work will continue. For most of our “potential Fiber cities” — those where we’ve been in exploratory discussions — we’re going to pause our operations and offices while we refine our approaches. We’re ever grateful to these cities for their ongoing partnership and patience, and we’re confident we’ll have an opportunity to resume our partnership discussions once we’ve advanced our technologies and solutions.

I'm not too surprised, a few months ago Alphabet decide to explore using a wireless system as a means to provide ultra-fast Internet service, instead of your typical laying fiber either in the ground or on a utility pole. It would be obviously cheaper to not have to dig up the road and your property to lay down all that fiber. I think the head of Google Fiber is also stepping down, it seems they were bleeding money left and right due to the enormous costs to run all that fiber.

Last edited by cjseliga; 10-25-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 02:36 AM

511 posts, read 402,005 times
Another good reason to get out of here. I'm so sick of the trash Internet here.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:51 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Hmm... in the city by city comparison we seem to do pretty well on average.

United States Speedtest Market Report

Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Had Google given the green light to its first three cities, here is how I think the buildout would have went (in order):
  • Phase 2 - Mesa, Chandler, and Glendale
  • Phase 3 - Gilbert and Peoria
  • Phase 4 - Surprise, Avondale, Tolleson, El Mirage, and Sun Cities
  • Phase 5 - Queen Creek, Goodyear, and Litchfield Park
  • Phase 6 - San Tan Valley, Apache Junction, and Buckeye
The logic of my list is based on the geographic location of each city, since it is more cost effective to build in cities that are adjacent to an existing city, rather than building an entirely separate network in a non-adjacent city. Hence Avondale, Tolleson, and El Mirage I think would be built before Goodyear and Litchfield Park.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
In my opinion, Cox communications was successful in blocking this development with their lawsuit against Tempe. It's sad. The community lost a valuable asset due to politics and lawyers. After that, Google didn't want anything to do with this place knowing they might face similar suits in other cities here and deal with that headache. This is supposed to be a "pro-business state" that eliminates the red tape. Where were your local conservative politicians and Doug Ducey when it came to this. Where was the outcry? They were too busy supporting Donald Trump and worrying about social issues again.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 AM

277 posts, read 276,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
My internet is pretty good

Maybe you shouldn't get the cheapest plan.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:19 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In my opinion, Cox communications was successful in blocking this development with their lawsuit against Tempe. It's sad. The community lost a valuable asset due to politics and lawyers. After that, Google didn't want anything to do with this place knowing they might face similar suits in other cities here and deal with that headache. This is supposed to be a "pro-business state" that eliminates the red tape. Where were your local conservative politicians and Doug Ducey when it came to this. Where was the outcry? They were too busy supporting Donald Trump and worrying about social issues again.
The pause of the buildout affects all of the unbuilt future cities, not just the Phoenix area cities.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Hmm... in the city by city comparison we seem to do pretty well on average.

United States Speedtest Market Report
Change United States to Earth and no.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
My internet is pretty good

Maybe you shouldn't get the cheapest plan.
Maybe they should deliver their advertised speeds... and not throttle specific content.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:41 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
I read somewhere that Google bought a company that provided wireless broadband. I assume they're betting on that being the future. I could be wrong of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area