Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times

Advertisements

We get a lot of Canadians, too, just from the western side. I've already noticed an increase in Alberta plates!

Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post

The state of Shea is really upsetting to me as a Scottsdale resident and taxpayer. I just think we should be better than this. Have you seen it at night? The dust coming off of it is like a dirt road. I'd rather drive on an actual dirt road, many rural roads are much nicer, smoother driving than Shea currently.

I don't understand the point of grinding the road down like that and then just letting it sit there. When I have time I am going to look into it further.
Im in full agreement. We headed East on Shea on Saturday night (around 7:15PM) and it was the biggest mess you've ever seen. It was backed up from the Culvers all the way past the hospital, down to one lane. They had the light at 92nd St out, with cops directing traffic, and all the construction crews seemingly getting the right-of-way. People turning off of the 101 trying to head East on Shea couldn't even make it through the intersection! Of course there isn't anywhere to turn off, so we were all stuck in that crap. It took us nearly 25 minutes to move that mile or so. Ugh, we were so mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
As a Floridian, all I can say is I feel your pain. We get a lot of Canadians here, who are not quite as evolved as people seem to think. To me they are basically Yankees w/ weird accents and great health insurance. But the Quebecois are in a whole different league! They are honestly the most willfully ignorant, arrogant, hateful, most prejudiced and racist....well, I am just going to stop while I am behind on this one.

All I can say is that any group of people that will not even acknowledge your presence and totally ignore you because you speak to them in the language of the country that they are visiting in can drop dead.
Oh, Im so with you there. There are the snobbiest bunch of pricks I've ever met. I made the mistake of walking around with my Canadiens (Patrick Roy) jersey one night in Old Town Scottsdale. A dude came up to me and started just speaking French to me. I told him I didn't understand French and he gave me this messed up look and laughed and proceeded to speak French with his buddy. I couldn't believe the nerve. Lucky for him the in-laws were with us, or else it might have gotten ugly.

My brother also spent some time in Quebec City and told me that he's never run across a bigger bunch of jagbags than he has there.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:35 AM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
Just so you know the rest of Canada also feels your pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
As a Floridian, all I can say is I feel your pain. We get a lot of Canadians here, who are not quite as evolved as people seem to think. To me they are basically Yankees w/ weird accents and great health insurance. But the Quebecois are in a whole different league! They are honestly the most willfully ignorant, arrogant, hateful, most prejudiced and racist....well, I am just going to stop while I am behind on this one.

All I can say is that any group of people that will not even acknowledge your presence and totally ignore you because you speak to them in the language of the country that they are visiting in can drop dead.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Makes me wonder how snowbirds manage to survive getting those vehicles here in the first place!
Having been full time in an RV and been around many,many show bird RV parks I wondered the same thing DAILY.
It's interesting to see this 40ft class A motorhome pull in, attempt to park and then once finally parked this really,really OLD person with a walker and thick glasses totters out. LOL

Old 11-02-2016, 08:06 AM

14 posts, read 14,958 times
Please - watch out for motorcycles, especially if you admit to having a slower reaction time. Check twice before pulling out into traffic, when taking a left turn across an intersection, always. We are smaller, so we appear to be farther away. Two seconds to save a life is not too much to ask, right? Thanks!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatgal View Post
Please - watch out for motorcycles, especially if you admit to having a slower reaction time. Check twice before pulling out into traffic, when taking a left turn across an intersection, always. We are smaller, so we appear to be farther away. Two seconds to save a life is not too much to ask, right? Thanks!
On that note, I'd also like to ask that motorcycles watch out for cars as well. Just this morning a person on a motorcycle came zooming up, on a residential street where the speed limit is 35, cutting off about 5 cars as they split lanes going well over the speed limit, oblivious to the fact that they were catching drivers completely off guard. Had one of those drivers decided to change lanes at the wrong time, it could have been tragic (the motorcycle rider had no helmet), and avoided if the motorcycle driver was mindful of cars...who are bigger than him.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
On that note, I'd also like to ask that motorcycles watch out for cars as well. Just this morning a person on a motorcycle came zooming up, on a residential street where the speed limit is 35, cutting off about 5 cars as they split lanes going well over the speed limit, oblivious to the fact that they were catching drivers completely off guard. Had one of those drivers decided to change lanes at the wrong time, it could have been tragic (the motorcycle rider had no helmet), and avoided if the motorcycle driver was mindful of cars...who are bigger than him.
Amen!

That whole "start seeing motorcycles" campaign? Its hard NOT to see them when they come flying by doing 100+ mph IN BETWEEN cars on the highway. Or riding your arse down the road so close that you can see what color their eyes are. I swear, they also think the HOV lane has no speed limit, either.

Oh, and dammit, guys, straight pipes at 3AM is just ridiculous. Keep your loud bikes inside at night, please. You think you're cool, but you're really obnoxious dbags.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Amen!

That whole "start seeing motorcycles" campaign? Its hard NOT to see them when they come flying by doing 100+ mph IN BETWEEN cars on the highway. Or riding your arse down the road so close that you can see what color their eyes are. I swear, they also think the HOV lane has no speed limit, either.

Oh, and dammit, guys, straight pipes at 3AM is just ridiculous. Keep your loud bikes inside at night, please. You think you're cool, but you're really obnoxious dbags.
It is also a bit jarring to be cruising along in your car, whether it be on the freeway or other, and hear a loud motorcycle come buzzing up suddenly behind you! I thought the one this AM was going to crash right into my trunk.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It is also a bit jarring to be cruising along in your car, whether it be on the freeway or other, and hear a loud motorcycle come buzzing up suddenly behind you! I thought the one this AM was going to crash right into my trunk.
Many motorcyclists have a bad habit of doing that. They come flying up and jam on their brakes. They're worse than soccer moms who seemingly have no concept of how a throttle or brakes work. With them its either all-or-nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area