Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:50 AM

83 posts, read 75,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsg1104 View Post
I would probably go the medical marijuana route. I'm not really into pharmaceuticals. I have some family members badly hooked on prescription drugs. It may be for some but not really for me. Thanks for your suggestion
How are you doing? I am so glad you reached out to see a counselor. Sending you good vibes and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 12,206 times
Another way would be to go to the bars and coffee shops. I'm sure thats where you'll find the non/ex mormons hanging out. Just a guess.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:21 PM

47 posts, read 89,101 times
Meetup.com is a great way to find groups who share your interests. Tons of things to do.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,211 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. So a little background, my husband and I are a young mid 20 yr old couple from southern California. Just to get an idea we are pretty outdoorsy, skateboarding, snowboarding, dirtbiking, etc. so we figured az is a good place to be for that! My husband got a job offer in Phoenix this summer. We totally jumped on the opportunity after we saw the affordable homes. If you know socal it's so expensive especially for a young family of 4. I saw how safe and good schools were in Gilbert so we jumped on the idea and bought a home here. Probably should've done my research better. We are pretty liberal and we are not religious at all. Im totally okay with differences of views and religion but I feel i dont fit in to this town. Its been so hard to make friends and it's really starting to weigh on me. Most days i cant make it out of bed. I'm not sure if we made the right move and I'm having total regret. Has anyone had relocation depression? I really hope this feeling goes away.
That's a real problem, you need professional help for that, not the advice of novices.

As a parent, you have to make sacrifices for your kids so IMO, if the kids are happy and well adjusted in the schools there, I say you as the adult need to make it work.

The fact that you are liberal and not religious may be a contributing factor in your depression since Conservative and Religious people are happier than liberal and non religious but as I said, you need professional care if you cannot get out of bed.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:34 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
That's a real problem, you need professional help for that, not the advice of novices.

As a parent, you have to make sacrifices for your kids so IMO, if the kids are happy and well adjusted in the schools there, I say you as the adult need to make it work.

The fact that you are liberal and not religious may be a contributing factor in your depression since Conservative and Religious people are happier than liberal and non religious but as I said, you need professional care if you cannot get out of bed.
LOL, nice fake news. Cite your source for this ridiculous assertion.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Oh yeah Im ok with guns, california has stricter laws. I just didnt realize this town was so religious when we were looking at houses.
We have Mormon friends as well as friends of several religions and some that have no religious ties at all. I don't care where you live you'll find people of all persuasions, you just have to seek out what you wish to find.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:20 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
OP hasn't been back to CD in over a month. Let's hope she's seeing a professional counselor (who probably told her to stop taking advice from Internet strangers.)

Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, nice fake news. Cite your source for this ridiculous assertion.
It's a pretty common finding, actually. Google is your friend.

I'll only link to a couple liberal sites since I know your worldview.

Pew Research Center

BBC

From Huff Post UK.

There's a million more studies and links out there, but you get the picture.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
It's a pretty common finding, actually. Google is your friend.

I'll only link to a couple liberal sites since I know your worldview.

Pew Research Center

BBC

From Huff Post UK.

There's a million more studies and links out there, but you get the picture.
Nothing you posted mentions anything about one's politics.

Report: World

Religious believers more depressed than atheists: study - Your Community

The flaw in all of your "studies" is the lack of consideration that is put on the way religious people treat non-believers. The conclusion is inescapable: atheists and agnostics are unhappy in religious countries because of the religious people, whereas religious people do well in secular countries because they're made welcome. You can be an evangelical Christian in Sweden or Denmark, but it's hard to be an atheist in Turkey, Iran or even America.

Living in fear, without critical thinking, living your life to secure your place in the afterlife, sounds miserable. If that's one's choice, fine. I just don't support that lifestyle.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL

Report: World

Religious believers more depressed than atheists: study - Your Community

The flaw in all of your "studies" is the lack of consideration that is put on the way religious people treat non-believers. The conclusion is inescapable: atheists and agnostics are unhappy in religious countries because of the religious people, whereas religious people do well in secular countries because they're made welcome. You can be an evangelical Christian in Sweden or Denmark, but it's hard to be an atheist in Turkey, Iran or even America.

Living in fear, without critical thinking sounds miserable. If that's one's choice, fine. I just don't support that lifestyle.
"LOL" ...really, when I link you to highly respected liberal entities like Pew and the BBC? Thanks for the disrespect.

I don't even disagree with some of your viewpoints. Although I think it's pretty easy to be an atheist in america, which is largely populated with people who are not religious or only mildly religious, I agree it is extremely challenging to be atheist (or to be the non-dominant religion) in dozens of countries around the world. But why can't you make your argument without being so flippant and disrespectful?

Sociological research is fairly subjective and open-ended. I'm not stupid. I know there are studies out there showing both sides of the coin. But try to treat people with some respect if you can manage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area