Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

I thought the Canal project is great. Other areas do the same thing. In California there are communities that have built high priced home developments on Canal projects like the Scottsdale one. We have one in Oxnard where I live on the coast. For years the canal that fead the electric power plant was unsightly. Now it has million dollar homes on it. Why not take something that is otherwise uggly and make it an asset to the area. Kudos to those that built the project. There is always going to be a bunch of lemons around that someone will make lemonaide out of. The people that think that the area is lacking in water should be very happy about this. The canal is there anyway and someone was able to build a development that includes water without having to take that water from another souce. great use of resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Ditched your home? There's a pattern here.

What Mr. Unger did in Scottsdale was take a boring, 100 year old canal and re-tooled it. He built a retail center with the idea that no shops can be chains. No restaurants are chains. A $400 Million toss of the dice. The adjacent developers are investing another $1.5 Billion. The canal, really, is pretty insignificant in the larger scheme of things. But some, like the reporter, choose to focus on the sideshow and miss the big picture.
Glad you caught that!

Point is a puddle of water is a big deal in Phoenix...heck, newscasts lead with 'major' stories about potential rainfall headed for the Valley several days out.

This is a major reason I had to get out of there...pretty much no weather other than warm and HOT...and 2 inches of rain a year...and impending water issues that keep getting swept under the rug.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM

172 posts, read 252,296 times
I relocated from an area that I decided I no longer cared for, yet for some odd reason I feel no need to haunt the forum for that particular city heaping scorn and screaming that the end is near. I'm not sure why former PHX residents think this behavior is normal and or sane.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
I relocated from an area that I decided I no longer cared for, yet for some odd reason I feel no need to haunt the forum for that particular city heaping scorn and screaming that the end is near. I'm not sure why former PHX residents think this behavior is normal and or sane.
LMAO at normal/sane...geesh, Patrick...open your eyes to an opinion other than a glowing one.

Well, that is you...and if I were moving to someplace new I would want to hear all sides of the story to aid a decision...taking everything with a grain of salt of course...I wouldn't learn much from posts only gushing about how great some area is.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
LMAO at normal/sane...geesh, Patrick...open your eyes to an opinion other than a glowing one.

Well, that is you...and if I were moving to someplace new I would want to hear all sides of the story to aid a decision...taking everything with a grain of salt of course...I wouldn't learn much from posts only gushing about how great some area is.
If you dislike the Phx area as much as you allude to-------why even bother posting here?

If I ever see Wash DC again in my lifetime (I am a native from there, born and raised)--------it will be too soon.

That stated: I do not make it my business to flagrantly trash the DC/NoVa area on its Forums. Some folks like it there and that I can respect----------home is where the heart is.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you dislike the Phx area as much as you allude to-------why even bother posting here?

If I ever see Wash DC again in my lifetime (I am a native from there, born and raised)--------it will be too soon.

That stated: I do not make it my business to flagrantly trash the DC/NoVa area on its Forums. Some folks like it there and that I can respect----------home is where the heart is.
Bear...are you dead in the woods or just clueless?

People need to hear more than one side of a story if they are to make an informed decision...listening to mushy stories of how great everything is in the Phoenix area doesn't do much good.

I do understand that most insecure people want to hear only good about things as that is what makes them feel better.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM

267 posts, read 885,065 times
Quote:
PS, my wife is from Miami and it is a good place to visit for maybe a week at a time...at least it rains there but it is Groundhog day there for most of the year...warm/hot and humid.

You guys like one type of weather and I like variety...plus we aren't 90 years old like a lot of people on this board...and we actually like colder weather.
I'm 24 and so is my husband and we're moving to Arizona next month because we like the weather there. The days get hot but the nights are AMAZING.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I'm 24 and so is my husband and we're moving to Arizona next month because we like the weather there. The days get hot but the nights are AMAZING.
Sorry, but you don't know Phoenix summer nights then...if you live in the metro area it does NOT cool down...temps in the 90's/100's at 10PM are common.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM

267 posts, read 885,065 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you don't know Phoenix summer nights then...if you live in the metro area it does NOT cool down...temps in the 90's/100's at 10PM are common.
I lived there for a year in 2003. I know how the nights are. Believe it or not, some people really enjoy that weather. I can go swimming at night, which is my favorite time to swim, and not be freezing.

So again I say, the days are hot but the nights to me are amazing.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I lived there for a year in 2003. I know how the nights are. Believe it or not, some people really enjoy that weather. I can go swimming at night, which is my favorite time to swim, and not be freezing.

So again I say, the days are hot but the nights to me are amazing.
Sure...everybody is different...and like I say for one year it may be fine...maybe for even a few years...but after 18 years there the endless heat wasn't fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area