U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2016, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,624 posts, read 4,192,984 times
Reputation: 8028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You might wanna look around a bit Where I grew up in Mission Viejo, $600K gets you next to nothing. My parents still have a house they rent out there and it is a basic 1970 era 2-story, average lot, 2200 Sq Ft and would probably fetch over $800K (MV is kind of a plain jane community for the area, surrounded by much more wealthy communities). Right across the freeway there is Toll Brothers new construction going on in Aliso Viejo area and the BASE prices are $2.4M, before lot premiums, upgrades, landscaping etc so those are tract new builds going for $3M (I think they're all basic 2-story houses too, which is not as desirable). You won't see base prices in the $600K-$700K range like you do in Scottsdale for the same builder. THAT to me is exclusive. But yes, there is money here, especially those that have a house in Scottsdale that they live in only 70-90 days a year and call it their "pool house"
CA is one of those rare exceptions. Its gotten so bad that people are fleeing by the droves. I would look at those prices like its a bad thing. Just the other night I was watching Tiny House Hunters, and they showed a small, 500 sq ft home (yes, you read that right) in SoCal that listed for, get this, $425K.


Im sorry, but one has to have a serious mental disorder to be willing to plunk down cash on something that ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2016, 04:08 PM
 
3,516 posts, read 7,304,671 times
Reputation: 3172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
CA is one of those rare exceptions. Its gotten so bad that people are fleeing by the droves. I would look at those prices like its a bad thing. Just the other night I was watching Tiny House Hunters, and they showed a small, 500 sq ft home (yes, you read that right) in SoCal that listed for, get this, $425K.


Im sorry, but one has to have a serious mental disorder to be willing to plunk down cash on something that ridiculous.
I agree it's not a positive, just stating that a median of $600K is not "as exclusive as it gets" since it gets about a 1300 sf house in OC which hasn't been updated since the Carter administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,624 posts, read 4,192,984 times
Reputation: 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I agree it's not a positive, just stating that a median of $600K is not "as exclusive as it gets" since it gets about a 1300 sf house in OC which hasn't been updated since the Carter administration
I was referring to the Valley in particular, as well as the national average. North Scottsdale is a very, very wealthy area. And as you mentioned before, a lot of those homes are million dollar "weekend getaways" for others who fly their private jets into Scottsdale Airport. The money in Scottsdale is definitely world class. It might not be on NYC or London levels, but its no slouch, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 09:07 PM
 
570 posts, read 431,895 times
Reputation: 1117
I have been working in North Scottsdale for ten years. Eschew North Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Between 32.7 and 34.2 degrees north latitude.
52 posts, read 42,634 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
What areas of Phoenix to avoid to avoid fake materialistic people. I heard Scottsdale but all of scottsdale can't be like that. Is it more near the north?
North of Chaparral, and south of the Pinnacle Peak area. Old town isn't fake, they're just partiers, tourists, and great artists.

The people from the Pinnacle Peak area and north, along with Carefree, Cave Creek, Anthem, New River, and zips 85085 and 85086, both in Phoenix (including the Deer Valley area) want nothing to do with central Scottsdale. Those two zip codes, are very hard working folks in the Deer Valley airpark. They make over 100,000 a year. Similar to Gilbert. The bright future of Maricopa county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Between 32.7 and 34.2 degrees north latitude.
52 posts, read 42,634 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
How about asking instead where to find genuine people of good character? Rather than avoiding the bad apples isn't it better to search out the good ones?
See above post. I was so excited to post that I didn't read the remaining posts (I am now).
Actually I think Deer Valley and north should break away from Phoenix (outside the 101 loop) before they get demolished with light rail. Plan ahead, secede now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Between 32.7 and 34.2 degrees north latitude.
52 posts, read 42,634 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You might wanna look around a bit Where I grew up in Mission Viejo, $600K gets you next to nothing. My parents still have a house they rent out there and it is a basic 1970 era 2-story, average lot, 2200 Sq Ft and would probably fetch over $800K (MV is kind of a plain jane community for the area, surrounded by much more wealthy communities). Right across the freeway there is Toll Brothers new construction going on in Aliso Viejo area and the BASE prices are $2.4M, before lot premiums, upgrades, landscaping etc so those are tract new builds going for $3M (I think they're all basic 2-story houses too, which is not as desirable). You won't see base prices in the $600K-$700K range like you do in Scottsdale for the same builder. THAT to me is exclusive. But yes, there is money here, especially those that have a house in Scottsdale that they live in only 70-90 days a year and call it their "pool house"
The difference is that folks in Mission Viejo, Also Viejo, Irvine, and vicinity, actually work for their living in Orange County. They're not fake or materialistic, which the OP asked about. Scottsdale has a very high unemployment rate, since people cash out and buy big houses and then don't work. People who aren't working for a living are rude and materialistic since they get bored and become obscessed. Phoenix, is not like Scottsdale since people work for their money. Also, most people who move to Scottsdale are from the Midwest. The Midwest Nice and Minnesota Nice fake personality types are well represented. Rich areas in California are not like this. And, Midwesterners have a very conservative personality type and inferiority complex towards socially liberal Californians, so they've made Scottsdale their empire. Prescott, Havasu, Reno, Palm Springs, and Vegas, are not like this since people retire there from California, not as much from back east. And again Orange County, rich people are working there, the money isn't coming across state lines. Deer Valley and Gilbert the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 AM
 
7,351 posts, read 4,461,282 times
Reputation: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888metro View Post
The difference is that folks in Mission Viejo, Also Viejo, Irvine, and vicinity, actually work for their living in Orange County. They're not fake or materialistic, which the OP asked about. Scottsdale has a very high unemployment rate, since people cash out and buy big houses and then don't work. People who aren't working for a living are rude and materialistic since they get bored and become obscessed. Phoenix, is not like Scottsdale since people work for their money. Also, most people who move to Scottsdale are from the Midwest. The Midwest Nice and Minnesota Nice fake personality types are well represented. Rich areas in California are not like this. And, Midwesterners have a very conservative personality type and inferiority complex towards socially liberal Californians, so they've made Scottsdale their empire. Prescott, Havasu, Reno, Palm Springs, and Vegas, are not like this since people retire there from California, not as much from back east. And again Orange County, rich people are working there, the money isn't coming across state lines. Deer Valley and Gilbert the same way.
The majority of people I've met in Scottsdale are locals and Californians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,624 posts, read 4,192,984 times
Reputation: 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888metro View Post
The difference is that folks in Mission Viejo, Also Viejo, Irvine, and vicinity, actually work for their living in Orange County. They're not fake or materialistic, which the OP asked about. Scottsdale has a very high unemployment rate, since people cash out and buy big houses and then don't work. People who aren't working for a living are rude and materialistic since they get bored and become obscessed. Phoenix, is not like Scottsdale since people work for their money. Also, most people who move to Scottsdale are from the Midwest. The Midwest Nice and Minnesota Nice fake personality types are well represented. Rich areas in California are not like this. And, Midwesterners have a very conservative personality type and inferiority complex towards socially liberal Californians, so they've made Scottsdale their empire. Prescott, Havasu, Reno, Palm Springs, and Vegas, are not like this since people retire there from California, not as much from back east. And again Orange County, rich people are working there, the money isn't coming across state lines. Deer Valley and Gilbert the same way.




Far and away the most implants in Scottsdale are from CA. Yes, there are lots of Midwesterners, too, but if you want to talk about hard-working people, it is them. The Midwestern work ethic is borderline legendary. And the "Midwest nice" personality you mention is genuine. Ever vacation in Wisconsin or Minnesota? The locals wave and say "hi" like they've known you all their lives. With all this ranting, may I say you need a serious slap of reality, dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 AM
 
Location: Between 32.7 and 34.2 degrees north latitude.
52 posts, read 42,634 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Far and away the most implants in Scottsdale are from CA. Yes, there are lots of Midwesterners, too, but if you want to talk about hard-working people, it is them. The Midwestern work ethic is borderline legendary. And the "Midwest nice" personality you mention is genuine. Ever vacation in Wisconsin or Minnesota? The locals wave and say "hi" like they've known you all their lives. With all this ranting, may I say you need a serious slap of reality, dude.
I've read the census figures and most Maricopa County residents are from east of the rockies. When I lived there, only met two people in the county who moved there from California. The rest from back east or elsewhere. Now, there are lots of transient residents from California, such as students. But they go back.
I did not find the Midwesterners in Scottsdale to be nice. They flaunt their wealth in such a way that Californians don't do within their rich enclaves. Sorry, poster. I'm born, raised, on the west coast. You can't make me love you, says Bonnie Raitt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top