U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 11,055 times

Advertisements

Good evening!

My family and I will be moving from San Diego to the Phoenix area. And while I am pretty adept at searching, I'd rather hear from those who live in the area.

This move will be happening around the middle of March 2017. My company is opening an office in the Mesa area and I'm looking for some information about some areas to live within 25-35 minutes of the Mesa area. My family includes myself, my wife and 3 children ages 8, 6 and 4. We're interested in transferring our students to Legacy Traditional charter school, so hopefully the suggestions will be close-ish to one of their many campuses

We're looking to rent for at least a year before likely becoming a permanent fixture by purchasing a home. The reason I've registered and made this post is because I've been reading some things about some neighborhoods south west of Phoenix that we'd seen some nice homes to rent that may not be in the best area of town.

Safety of my children is paramount, so if I could bother y'all for some information about some pretty good areas for a family of 5 to rent under homes under $1200/mo that are at least 3br 2ba. As well as any information you can provide about some things to do as a family to help the kiddo's adjust to a new state.

I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 11:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,589,743 times
It's a bit of a hike depending on what part of Mesa....but you might consider Casa Grande. There is a very popular Legacy campus here and 1200.00 will get you a very nice house and if you decide you like it when buying you will get much more house for your money. Another advantage is a shorter drive back to SD if you will still have connections there.

CG is a bit smaller now...think Temecula....but is growing with several major employment projects pending including Phoenixmart, Attest Motorsports Complex, and a highly likely Electric Vehicle manufacturing plant all within the next 2 to 3 years.

But..you would have to commute up to an hour into portions of Mesa.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 956,346 times
Parts of East Mesa are quite nice and new and pretty suburban/distant/safe. The area is called "Red Mountain" a lot of times. That said, I don't know offhand if 1200 is enough to get into that area. If you search for that phrase on this forum or on rental websites, I think you'll probably find a lot of info.

Given you don't have to commute into Phoenix, you'll get your best bang for the buck looking at communities further away from Phoenix, since the prices are lower due to the long commute. Gilbert, a southern neighbor of Mesa, is very family oriented and extremely safe but many on the forum have some cultural objections because they consider it kind of boring or too LDS-influenced; again, I'm not sure if 1200 would be sufficient, but a forum search for Gilbert will yield tons of results.

There are also places in the far east Valley like Queen Creek/San Tan Valley/Gold Canyon etc. that might be in driving range...these will be the cheapest to rent in. They're all new builds so the safety thing is probably not too much of an issue at this time.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:40 PM

Thanks for that information. Are any areas east of Phoenix good (Goodyear, Laveen, Tolleson, Avondale, etc...)? I have friends in Goodyear and friends in Phoenix.

CG has some really nice homes, but I'm not sure I want to commute 45-60min one way. There are some nice options throughout the Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek area, but if some of the other rumors are true, there may be a 2nd building we're moving to in 2018 that will be in Phoenix. If that's the case, then from those areas, it's 45min one way for travel.

My wife and I are really looking forward to starting this new chapter in our lives. Thank you for the information so far.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:44 PM

9,290 posts, read 9,886,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtolson View Post
Thanks for that information. Are any areas east of Phoenix good (Goodyear, Laveen, Tolleson, Avondale, etc...)? I have friends in Goodyear and friends in Phoenix.

CG has some really nice homes, but I'm not sure I want to commute 45-60min one way. There are some nice options throughout the Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek area, but if some of the other rumors are true, there may be a 2nd building we're moving to in 2018 that will be in Phoenix. If that's the case, then from those areas, it's 45min one way for travel.

My wife and I are really looking forward to starting this new chapter in our lives. Thank you for the information so far.
Those areas you listed are west of Phoenix. Commuting that way to and from Mesa would pretty much be a nightmare by most people's standards. (and I am also pretty sure most on here will say avoid Tolleson)

Old 11-16-2016, 02:00 PM

Yeah, the homes I've been using google maps to get general commute times from west of phoenix to mesa can be rough depending on time of departure (not sure what shift I'll be working, but hoping earlier rather than later. Like 6am start time). I wish I knew for sure if we were getting a building in Phoenix or not. The reason we've looked west of Phoenix was because it'd be a longer commute to mesa, but a shorter commute into Phoenix (if we get that other building).

There's a home in Queen Creek that isn't for rent just yet. Doubt it will be in March either (I'm sure someone will be renting it by then), but, my wife and I both love it.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 PM

3,465 posts, read 5,015,603 times
You will most likely find more bang for your buck in places like San Tan Valley, Queen Creek and Maricopa. But, the commute to Mesa could be a bit tricky. East Mesa is pretty nice, but may not be in your price range.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 AM

52 posts, read 42,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Parts of East Mesa are quite nice and new and pretty suburban/distant/safe. The area is called "Red Mountain" a lot of times. That said, I don't know offhand if 1200 is enough to get into that area. If you search for that phrase on this forum or on rental websites, I think you'll probably find a lot of info.

Given you don't have to commute into Phoenix, you'll get your best bang for the buck looking at communities further away from Phoenix, since the prices are lower due to the long commute. Gilbert, a southern neighbor of Mesa, is very family oriented and extremely safe but many on the forum have some cultural objections because they consider it kind of boring or too LDS-influenced; again, I'm not sure if 1200 would be sufficient, but a forum search for Gilbert will yield tons of results.

There are also places in the far east Valley like Queen Creek/San Tan Valley/Gold Canyon etc. that might be in driving range...these will be the cheapest to rent in. They're all new builds so the safety thing is probably not too much of an issue at this time.
Safety in the valley = LDS ... GENERALLY speaking ...

The valley, has severe crime problems and issues with drugs, therefore, the LDS areas keep the lid on things in the parts of the valley they run.

So the original poster could consider that LDS run Gilbert = / equivalent to LDS run Carlsbad in his area, that is an analogy since Carlsbad is a suburb of San Diego...

And in Phoenix,

Many areas within the 101 in Phoenix = the North Park and Hillcrest ghetto neighborhoods in San Diego .....

Please be advised.

Overall, Phoenix, Mesa, and Glendale, and Apache Junction, have the highest crime rates in the metro.

Except Mesa has some good areas see above posters.

Scottsdale is not run by the LDS although it is very safe, has great neighborhoods, the officers told me that its safe because the rich demand strict security. Down the 101 its a reasonable commute to Mesa.

Once you start going westward into Phoenix, it gets progressively unsafe until out near Buckeye and Peoria where the LDS are in control, or north to Deer Valley where the LDS run the show, but all that is too long of a commute, but housing is very nice such as the Estrella area and the outlining areas of Peoria ...

Zip codes 85085, Deer Valley, and 85086, Anthem, are the greatest for families with kids, IMHO, if you ever get the other building in Phoenix (didn't quite understand what this was). Near the Sonoran Preserve trails, and I-17 to go south or north to the mountains.

I would be most concerned about drugs bringing kids from metro San Diego to Phoenix since the problem is worse here, hence the discussion. Therefore, violent crime is also worse here overall. Have no idea why the Democrats ran the sheriff out when they have kids, too. Another thread. All the best to the op !!!

Last edited by 888metro; 11-17-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 08:05 AM

197 posts, read 203,449 times
If you're working in Mesa, I'd pick Gilbert hands down. 2nd safest large city in the entire United States, closely second to Irvine, California. Affordable housing. Hell, anything in Arizona is dirt cheap compared to California.

Gilbert also has excellent schools. Chandler has better schools, but Gilbert's are still very good.

You'd have probably a 15-30 min commute, on side streets, depending where you live in Gilbert.

Queen Creek and San Tan Valley are far away. Mesa isn't good unless you're in East Mesa. And not much to do in Mesa.

Apache Junction isn't ideal either.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:09 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,589,743 times
All of the suggestions sme folks are making are great - EXCEPT for the OPs budget of $1200.00. People have to live where they can afford to live - so point out the best places that he can rent a house for 5 people for that amount - even discussing Scottsdale is not really helpful to the OP and is best for general discussions where budget is not an issue.

And as usual - it will come down for the OP a matter of more/nicer house vs. less commute. The further out he is willing to go, the more house/better (equate newer in this case since our infill areas are out of his price range) he will get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or