Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I've only eaten at one of his restaurants once and it was good, from what I remember. I haven't experienced enough of his food to have an opinion of him as a chef. Are you basing your opinion on your one bad experience at Bink's Midtown? He's a James Beard nominee several times over. Seems like a talented guy.
One bad experience, but similar reports from other people whose opinions I respect. His overall product may be better than my sample, but there are others in town who I would be more apt to drop that kind of money on. Beard nominations are not sainthood, not a big fan of Silvana Salcido Esparza either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
One bad experience, but similar reports from other people whose opinions I respect. His overall product may be better than my sample, but there are others in town who I would be more apt to drop that kind of money on. Beard nominations are not sainthood, not a big fan of Silvana Salcido Esparza either.
Makes sense. I'm holding judgement on Chef Silvana until I've had a chance to go to her new place, Barrio Cafe Gran Reserva. It looks promising. Barrio Queen is always a bit of a let down.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't think "educated and well traveled" has anything to do with it.
No? People that have experiences outside of their bubble and that gain new knowledge tend to be more open minded to trying new things. That then translates to seeking new dining options outside of the basic. It's about broadening your horizons. I'm not sure what the counterargument is.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 PM

189 posts, read 230,788 times
Quote:
Makes sense. I'm holding judgement on Chef Silvana until I've had a chance to go to her new place, Barrio Cafe Gran Reserva. It looks promising. Barrio Queen is always a bit of a let down.
that's because Barrio Queen is the watered-down version of the original restaurant. Besides, she hasn't been involved with that restaurant in almost 3 years lol Anyways, Gran Reserva is great. Also check out Barrio Cafe and Barrio Urbano for more authentic Chef Silvana experiences.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:11 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
No? People that have experiences outside of their bubble and that gain new knowledge tend to be more open minded to trying new things. That then translates to seeking new dining options outside of the basic. It's about broadening your horizons. I'm not sure what the counterargument is.
Well I'm certainly educated with an MBA and have experiences outside of my "bubble" (I don't have a "bubble", I've been to most of the states in the US, lived in Manhattan for a Summer and visited eleven foreign countries and have tried/appreciate a variety of foods). What it boils down to is I'm not a sucker, and I won't pay for this (what I perceive to be) overpriced food experience. Plus it is certain to attract a crowd of "posers", living like millionaires but not there yet.

Where this works is in a place like NY, where there's many Fortune 500 companies, top ad companies, law firms, entertainment industry and money managers. This is the place where people will go out to entertain guest/clients and spending $1,000-2,000+ on a meal is expensed by the company. In Phoenix we have a handful of such companies. You might see the officers of Freeport McMoran or Uhaul go to a place like this once in a blue moon but I don't see enough demand to keep it going. As for me, I own my company and I'm not going to expense a meal like that to my company.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:28 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Where this works is in a place like NY, where there's many Fortune 500 companies, top ad companies, law firms, entertainment industry and money managers. This is the place where people will go out to entertain guest/clients and spending $1,000-2,000+ on a meal is expensed by the company. In Phoenix we have a handful of such companies. You might see the officers of Freeport McMoran or Uhaul go to a place like this once in a blue moon but I don't see enough demand to keep it going. As for me, I own my company and I'm not going to expense a meal like that to my company.
I suspect there will be enough visiting corporate golf outings and 'team building' retreats to pick up some of the slack, but as someone actively seeks out new and interesting food venues, this particular restaurant doesn't hold much appeal at least as its been presented. I'd enjoy reading an honest review of the place by someone who knows something about food, not just a Chamber of Commerce write-up we're too often subjected to.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
that's because Barrio Queen is the watered-down version of the original restaurant. Besides, she hasn't been involved with that restaurant in almost 3 years lol Anyways, Gran Reserva is great. Also check out Barrio Cafe and Barrio Urbano for more authentic Chef Silvana experiences.
I wasn't aware of that. Good to know!

Old 01-04-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Well I'm certainly educated with an MBA and have experiences outside of my "bubble" (I don't have a "bubble", I've been to most of the states in the US, lived in Manhattan for a Summer and visited eleven foreign countries and have tried/appreciate a variety of foods). What it boils down to is I'm not a sucker, and I won't pay for this (what I perceive to be) overpriced food experience. Plus it is certain to attract a crowd of "posers", living like millionaires but not there yet.

It's not about being a sucker, it's just about not seeing value in something other people may. I'm sure you spend money on things that others would see no value in and thus consider it a waste of money.

I'll probably go to this place once if the reviews remain glowing. That's my point though. Most will not make this part of their regular rotation. Without a larger concentration of people with disposable incomes and an appetite (no pun) to spend big bucks on food (likely those that are educated and cultured), like there are in San Francisco, NYC and Chicago, I wonder how this will sustain itself.

And who cares if the other diners are millionaires or not (posers I guess)? Maybe someone lives well within their means and saves for a while to treat themselves to a once in a lifetime meal? As long as they can pay the bill, who cares?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:50 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
It's not about being a sucker, it's just about not seeing value in something other people may. I'm sure you spend money on things that others would see no value in and thus consider it a waste of money.

I'll probably go to this place once if the reviews remain glowing. That's my point though. Most will not make this part of their regular rotation. Without a larger concentration of people with disposable incomes and an appetite (no pun) to spend big bucks on food (likely those that are educated and cultured), like there are in San Francisco, NYC and Chicago, I wonder how this will sustain itself.
Those cities also have a much higher abundance of people with expense accounts, their education has nothing to do with it. Just like those that go to the Super Bowl and sit in the $4,000 seats and pay $0.00 for the seats, the same is likely the case with diners at these type establishments. I'm not saying I wouldn't go to the Super Bowl or dine in these places. I can afford it but don't see the value as you said, I'd let someone else pay

Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Those cities also have a much higher abundance of people with expense accounts, their education has nothing to do with it. Just like those that go to the Super Bowl and sit in the $4,000 seats and pay $0.00 for the seats, the same is likely the case with diners at these type establishments. I'm not saying I wouldn't go to the Super Bowl or dine in these places. I can afford it but don't see the value as you said, I'd let someone else pay
Maybe white collar is a better descriptor, although I'd bet that those with expense accounts are typically educated. Regardless, I don't think this place is banking on Mad Men style business dinners. I would think that most people are paying their own way. This seems to be more of an intimate experience; not one you'd want to share with business acquaintances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area