Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:10 AM

88 posts, read 307,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
I've been to Phoenix before with a friend, but never traveled there on my own. I fell in love with the desert scenery and landscape in the time that I spent there, and would love to find a place in Phoenix of my own. I would like to rent somewhere in the area that's close to things, events, etc. I'm hoping to find a place in the city that is cool to live in that's safe for a single person.

I want to mention that I have close friends who tell me things like "You won't be able to touch the steering wheel in your car because it gets so hot!" or "You'll get second degree burns if you sit on your car seat in the Summer!". I plan on buying a car when I get settled in Phoenix and I don't want to be afraid to drive in the Summer heat, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the car cool when I'm at work or running errands?

TIA!
Get the darkest tint the law will allow..make sure you go to a legit tinting place, cause you can get a ticket if your front windows are darker than your rear. Get a dash cover, and those folding window shades for the fron and rear window..and a steering wheel cover...get your A/C checked and keep the compressor charged with freon Ive already fired mine up..you will use it about half the year or more)..if you get a place with a garage use it for the car ..not to store stuff...flush your radiator every 2 years. This reply is kinda redundant, but I hope it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 AM

195 posts, read 1,164,677 times
Default Wow...

I'm thinking of moving to the Phoenix area too, but the heat is the LEAST of my worries. I worry more about the 'creepy crawlies' there than the HEAT. I wish the heat were the most of my worries, then I would be fine. I wouldn't have to consider moving to Florida instead - the land of humidity, hurricanes and killer tornadoes.

Relocating to AZ only to have my 20 month old son or 12 month old daughter rushed to the hospital because of a bark sorpion sting...now THAT'S worry!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,765,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to the Phoenix area too, but the heat is the LEAST of my worries. I worry more about the 'creepy crawlies' there than the HEAT. I wish the heat were the most of my worries, then I would be fine. I wouldn't have to consider moving to Florida instead - the land of humidity, hurricanes and killer tornadoes.

Relocating to AZ only to have my 20 month old son or 12 month old daughter rushed to the hospital because of a bark sorpion sting...now THAT'S worry!
what about all the deadly snakes in Florida, what about Chiggers in the grass of florida. Hey a crock might show up in your back yard and eat your family while your napping in your lawn chairs.

Safest place, if you have to find it in my opinion is Colorado for no creepy crawley things. Unless your a pine tree, nothing will bite you there. Im guessing you picked AZ and Florida for sunshine. Colo gets 300 plus days a year. Personally, I love AZ creepy crawley desert creatures. Move to the front range of Colorado though, not much does, or can live there.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:43 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,728,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post

There are snakes here, but I've never seen one. They are as afraid of you as you are of them, and will not attack unless provoked. You'll probably only see one if you go hiking in the desert, and probably won't see one then.

There are scorpions here, but I've never seen one. Most of the people I know have never seen one. They move slowly and they tend to stay in a very defined territory of a few feet. They eat crickets and other little insects.

We keep the scorpions away by spraying every two to three months to keep the other little insects and crickets away. That removes the food chain so scorpions can't stay around. Keep your plants and bushes trimmed off the ground to remove hiding places.

If you're really concerned, then when buying a home, during the inspection period you can hire a pest control inspection company to check for scorpions. They do it at night with a black light; the scorpions glow under the black light. It's not 100% but chances are that they will find them if they're there.

Do some reading on the subject if you're really afraid. A client of mine last year was terribly afraid of scorpions because of here little girl, so she had the scorpion inspection done. None were found and she was happy. The inspection is not expensive.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:31 AM

13 posts, read 40,286 times
Default scorpion

I was on a visit in Az this past summer I was doing some laundry and had my clothes sorted out on the floor I lifted up my whites and there it was a bark scorpion! That was special!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,232,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Safest place, if you have to find it in my opinion is Colorado for no creepy crawley things. Unless your a pine tree, nothing will bite you there. Im guessing you picked AZ and Florida for sunshine. Colo gets 300 plus days a year. Personally, I love AZ creepy crawley desert creatures. Move to the front range of Colorado though, not much does, or can live there.
You're partially right. In the Front Range you won't see ANY bugs for about half the year, during the winter months. During the summer months you will see plenty of bugs, more often than in Phoenix. CO gets black widdow spiders, brown recluse spiders which are both dangerous. They get a phenomenon in the late spring called "Miller Moths," which are extremely annoying if one gets in your house. I've never seen a cockroach in CO before (there probably are some, but I've yet to see one), and I've seen tons in Phoenix. No scorpions or termites there, no giant bees, but plenty of "daddy long legs," grasshoppers, cicadas, and other annoyances that find ways to get inside your house. Also, Denver at least has 245 days a year of mostly sunny and partly cloudy, NOT 300, which is an old myth. Phoenix gets 296 days a year of mostly sunny and partly cloudy. Source: weatherbase.com. In Phoenix, that's almost two extra months of sunshine.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,765,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You're partially right. In the Front Range you won't see ANY bugs for about half the year, during the winter months. During the summer months you will see plenty of bugs, more often than in Phoenix. CO gets black widdow spiders, brown recluse spiders which are both dangerous. They get a phenomenon in the late spring called "Miller Moths," which are extremely annoying if one gets in your house. I've never seen a cockroach in CO before (there probably are some, but I've yet to see one), and I've seen tons in Phoenix. No scorpions or termites there, no giant bees, but plenty of "daddy long legs," grasshoppers, cicadas, and other annoyances that find ways to get inside your house. Also, Denver at least has 245 days a year of mostly sunny and partly cloudy, NOT 300, which is an old myth. Phoenix gets 296 days a year of mostly sunny and partly cloudy. Source: weatherbase.com. In Phoenix, that's almost two extra months of sunshine.
interesting, You are a very knowledgable bug expert. It is true, I only lived Colorado during winter. I did not know cicadas lived in areas with no humidity? I endured cicadas in Austin Texas; Loud and obnoxious little bastards. I know you have the numbers but I think it must have more than 245 days of mostley sunny days in colorado. Then again, I have lived most of my life in the Pac NW with about 79-90 days of sunshine a year.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:15 PM

38,964 posts, read 50,902,191 times
The cicadas here and in CO have to be a different bug than the ones back east. Our cicadas are only around for a brief time in June and they make noise in the day. You hear one here and there. When I go to my place in Oklahoma, those bugs rattle the windows at night! They are deafening.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 AM

137 posts, read 370,690 times
My leather seats have heat and A/C ..... what a great combo!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,476 times
Well, having moved to Phoenix in August of all months, it is bad...BUT...you will get use to it, and a simple sun shade in the car window works wonders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area