Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 05:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Light rail expansion is coming to downtown Phoenix, this is good news. Downtown Phoenix creating light-rail hub with three new stations
Sadly, Glendale city council on Monday killed their light rail plans, "pulling a Scottsdale". God I dislike Republicans....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Sadly, Glendale city council on Monday killed their light rail plans, "pulling a Scottsdale". God I dislike Republicans....
I feel bad for the WV. Their biggest suburb is one haphazardly run dumpster fire.

So Glendale passes a sales tax hike to extend the rail, then decides against building the rail, and now wants to use that money to annex more land and build more houses instead. I'm shocked!

In their council meeting they expressed skittishness from being burned by the Coyotes. As if they don't understand why nobody goes to the Coyotes games--hint it's transportation.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I feel bad for the WV. Their biggest suburb is one haphazardly run dumpster fire.

So Glendale passes a sales tax hike to extend the rail, then decides against building the rail, and now wants to use that money to annex more land and build more houses instead. I'm shocked!

In their council meeting they expressed skittishness from being burned by the Coyotes. As if they don't understand why nobody goes to the Coyotes games--hint it's transportation.
But would the light rail really help that? Would people from the east valley take the light rail to Glendale for a game? Imagine how long it would take. It's painfully slow.

I recently took it from Mill Ave. to downtown and I could have Uber'd in less than a third of the time wasted stopping every seemingly 1000 feet.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:01 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
But would the light rail really help that? Would people from the east valley take the light rail to Glendale for a game? Imagine how long it would take. It's painfully slow.

I recently took it from Mill Ave. to downtown and I could have Uber'd in less than a third of the time wasted stopping every seemingly 1000 feet.
I'd rather do that then sit it nose to tail traffic on I10 and miss the beginning of the game. I don't even bother with weekday Cardinals games or Coyotes games anymore

Old 10-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I use the light rail to commute to work, and it takes 35 mins to go from 12th St&Washington (where I live) to Sycamore&Main (right by work, which is on Dobson just south of the freight tracks).

I just play on my phone the whole time, much better than driving in rush hour, especially considering I have to drive a semi all day!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

Agreed. If I lived in Glendale, I would be outraged at the city government for hiking sales taxes to pay for something that will never be initiated. How can Glendale annex more land anyway? The city is pretty much landlocked as it is. What they need to do is concentrate on infill development. If they expect Westgate to ever be remotely successful, more business and better transportation options are needed around there ... however, the area looks about the same as it did 10 years ago. Further proof that sports & entertainment belong in a more central location.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:

I would take it to football games, not all the way from the east valley of course. Getting in and out of UOP for games and even finding parking is a nightmare. I swear the city creates so much gridlock so people come early or stay late and patronize Westgate. There is no other good reason for the parking nightmare that exists there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Agreed. If I lived in Glendale, I would be outraged at the city government for hiking sales taxes to pay for something that will never be initiated. How can Glendale annex more land anyway? The city is pretty much landlocked as it is. What they need to do is concentrate on infill development. If they expect Westgate to ever be remotely successful, more business and better transportation options are needed around there ... however, the area looks about the same as it did 10 years ago. Further proof that sports & entertainment belong in a more central location.
Residents should sue, isn't that misrepresenting a tax increase?

Old 10-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I would take it to football games, not all the way from the east valley of course. Getting in and out of UOP for games and even finding parking is a nightmare. I swear the city creates so much gridlock so people come early or stay late and patronize Westgate. There is no other good reason for the parking nightmare that exists there.

Residents should sue, isn't that misrepresenting a tax increase?
At the very least, they should vote the whole city council out next year

Old 10-26-2017, 04:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The Northern Parkway project being extended to the 17 would help. Of course, that would require the condemnation of the precious and unique dilapidated and generic structures on the west side that the forum here loves defending so much.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
The Northern Parkway project being extended to the 17 would help. Of course, that would require the condemnation of the precious and unique dilapidated and generic structures on the west side that the forum here loves defending so much.
It's only going to go as far as Grand Ave&67th, because a good chunk of Central Glendale and the Alhambra section of Phoenix would have to be bought and demolished to extend it those 5 extra miles, and we already saw what happened with the now cancelled AZ 50/Paradise Parkway

The planned alignment even in Peoria city limits goes through mainly undeveloped land, making it much easier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area