Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Interesting topic for me as I'm relocating to Phoenix, loathe suburbs, and am interested in living in a neighborhood I can afford where I can walk to things (or take short drives) to places I want to go to. I'd prefer to eat, walk, buy things and go to a local pub close to my neighborhood.

As Observer53 stated, the places mentioned are municipalities but the "suburban" landscape is changing.

An article:

Suburbs and Cities Are Becoming More Alike

By Ralph Bivins
October 31, 2016

Suburbs and Cities Are Becoming More Alike - Urban Land Magazine

As Suburbs Become More Urban, Smart Growth is Key
Posted on June 1, 2015

As Suburbs Become More Urban, Smart Growth is Key - The Registry

The End of the Suburbs
The country is resettling along more urbanized lines, and the American Dream is moving with it

By Leigh Gallagher @leighgallagherJuly 31, 2013

The End of the Suburbs | TIME.com
You're coming here at a great time, like you I also dislike suburban settings, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what's happened here over the last 10 years and at the rate multi-family/infill housing is going up the next 10 years looks to have even a more dramatic change with Tempe and central Phoenix leading the charge. Scottsdale is also in the mix but they're a little more hesitant to jump in feet first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:22 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Interesting topic for me as I'm relocating to Phoenix, loathe suburbs, and am interested in living in a neighborhood I can afford where I can walk to things (or take short drives) to places I want to go to. I'd prefer to eat, walk, buy things and go to a local pub close to my neighborhood.
Please remember this is still a desert. May - October, even in the evenings is still hot. "Walkability" is a relative term when it is still 100F at 8PM.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Please remember this is still a desert. May - October, even in the evenings is still hot. "Walkability" is a relative term when it is still 100F at 8PM.
Maybe June to September, why do people always add months? If someone can't walk at 8 PM in May or October (or any other Summer month really), they have a serious physical fitness issue and would have trouble walking in any weather. My boy played in a baseball tournament in 117 degree weather and everyone survived and didn't have to hide inside.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Maybe June to September, why do people always add months? If someone can't walk at 8 PM in May or October (or any other Summer month really), they have a serious physical fitness issue and would have trouble walking in any weather. My boy played in a baseball tournament in 117 degree weather and everyone survived and didn't have to hide inside.
As long as they are properly hydrated, absolutely. I would venture to say it wasn't enjoyable in the sun at 117 but kids are a bit more tolerant of heat it seems and if you have lived here for a couple of years you know how to deal with it. That doesn't stop people from dying on Camelback or South Mountain and there always seems to be one or two reports of kids getting heat stroke or dying playing football during Hell Week.

BTW...the reason I include May and October is that lately those months are getting into the 100s as well. Maybe not all month but definitely during the last couple weeks of May and the first couple weeks of October. As more and more people move into the Valley and we keep pushing the Heat Island further into the desert...this is not going to change anytime soon.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
As long as they are properly hydrated, absolutely. I would venture to say it wasn't enjoyable in the sun at 117 but kids are a bit more tolerant of heat it seems and if you have lived here for a couple of years you know how to deal with it. That doesn't stop people from dying on Camelback or South Mountain and there always seems to be one or two reports of kids getting heat stroke or dying playing football during Hell Week.

BTW...the reason I include May and October is that lately those months are getting into the 100s as well. Maybe not all month but definitely during the last couple weeks of May and the first couple weeks of October. As more and more people move into the Valley and we keep pushing the Heat Island further into the desert...this is not going to change anytime soon.
It has been warmer but not much in the 100+ activity in those months.
Last May days above 100: 4
Last October days above 100: 2

Nothing that prevented me from being outdoors.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The same can be said for northern cities that regularly have wind chills below 0 in the winter months. But somehow people do survive it.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It has been warmer but not much in the 100+ activity in those months.
Last May days above 100: 4
Last October days above 100: 2

Nothing that prevented me from being outdoors.
And certainly not at 8 PM

Old 01-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Okay...so since everyone wants to be specific and not talk in generalizations...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix,_Arizona#Climate

"On average, there are 107 days annually with a high of at least 100 °F (38 °C)[87] including most days from late May through early October. Highs top 110 °F (43 °C) an average of 18 days during the year.[88] On June 26, 1990, the temperature reached an all-time recorded high of 122 °F (50 °C).[89] Despite the city's claim to the most extreme heat in summer, however, it does not have the highest average annual temperature in the contiguous United States. In that respect, it comes second to Miami, with an average daily temperature of 75 °F (24 °C) compared to Miami's 77 °F (25 °C).[86]"

Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 AM

All I am trying to say is that I am pretty sure your "walkability" enjoyment is going to take a hit during the summer months and to go into that with open eyes. We don't need to argue semantics over whether or not it gets hot here, we all know it does.

According to the Redfin Walkability Score Methodology, they are looking at distances to amenities, not taking into consideration weather...which in my opinion should factor in especially in places like Phoenix, Miami, etc. and for colder climates as well.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
All I am trying to say is that I am pretty sure your "walkability" enjoyment is going to take a hit during the summer months and to go into that with open eyes. We don't need to argue semantics over whether or not it gets hot here, we all know it does.

According to the Redfin Walkability Score Methodology, they are looking at distances to amenities, not taking into consideration weather...which in my opinion should factor in especially in places like Phoenix, Miami, etc. and for colder climates as well.

I would have no problem at all walking miles mid-day anytime in May or October. Just because the temperature touches 100 for 30 minutes does not make it too hot to walk in. People get so dramatic about a 100 degree day as if it's blistering hot, its not. Generally days like that are pleasant in the morning and evenings and easily tolerable in the hottest part of the day. It's the 115 days that are a little rough, but that still doesn't keep me indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area