Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 11:33 AM

50 posts, read 67,664 times

Advertisements

We are working on our preliminary budget for living in the metro area and I am sure some costs will be different than Iowa. I would rather estimate our expenses a little too high and have extra money each month rather than not enough.

From what I have read online, there is a wide salary range in the IT field, which is the area my husband is in. Just trying to get an idea of what expenses will be, so when he gets an offer, we will have some idea of our expenses. The plan is to get by on his salary until I find something.

Is it possible to find a pet friendly 1 BR apartment or a small house to rent in a nice neighborhood for around $900 a month? We have one well behaved eight year old cat, and he will go with us, or we will not go at all. If that is not a reasonable amount, please tell me what is.

I am figuring about $100 a month for electric in an apartment, because at least in the summer, the bill will be higher for AC. In a house, the bill will probably be higher.

Are heat, water, sewer and garbage included in the apartment rent as they usually are in Iowa? If not, what should I budget for those? I realize that if we rent a house, those costs will probably be additional beyond the cost of renting the house.

Even with employer provided health insurance, the employee usually pays a portion. Just wondering what amount to budget for what we might have to pay for my husband and myself. I have heard that health insurance costs are higher in Arizona.

I have also read that vehicle insurance is higher, so I am budgeting an extra $35 a month for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:41 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
$100 a month? Uhhhh, no. We have a small condo, and with our a/c set at 80 in the day (it feels cold, trust me) and 76-77 at night, our electric runs $200-250. I have personally seen a/c bills as high as $600 in some larger homes. It runs and runs and runs and runs for months straight, so keep that in mind.

You will need to check out what is covered by rent and what is not. Narrow your search down, do A LOT of research on Yelp to get an idea of what goes on in the apartments before you move. Most apartment complexes here in PHX have a major façade that showcases luxury living, and the models will reflect that. Its not until you move in that you uncover what life there is really like. Be careful!

Health insurance costs have skyrocketed in AZ. Mine is absolutely ridiculous (Im researching alternatives as we speak). Im paying a little over $600 a month! Truly preposterous!!!!!!!!!

Your search for a house in that rent range might end you up in a not-so-desireable area. I suggest contacting a realtor or home rental company for assistance.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,490 times
I don't think $100 is unreasonable for a 1 bedroom apartment. I have an 1800 sq ft two story house...full western exposure...one 15 year old ac unit. My wife and toddler son are home all day so we keep it at a comfortable temp (79 day...75 night). Here's my SRP charges for the last year.

If a small condo has higher charges than mine you must have very poor insulation or a failing unit.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRose View Post
We are working on our preliminary budget for living in the metro area and I am sure some costs will be different than Iowa. I would rather estimate our expenses a little too high and have extra money each month rather than not enough.

From what I have read online, there is a wide salary range in the IT field, which is the area my husband is in. Just trying to get an idea of what expenses will be, so when he gets an offer, we will have some idea of our expenses. The plan is to get by on his salary until I find something.

Is it possible to find a pet friendly 1 BR apartment or a small house to rent in a nice neighborhood for around $900 a month? We have one well behaved eight year old cat, and he will go with us, or we will not go at all. If that is not a reasonable amount, please tell me what is.

I am figuring about $100 a month for electric in an apartment, because at least in the summer, the bill will be higher for AC. In a house, the bill will probably be higher.

Are heat, water, sewer and garbage included in the apartment rent as they usually are in Iowa? If not, what should I budget for those? I realize that if we rent a house, those costs will probably be additional beyond the cost of renting the house.

Even with employer provided health insurance, the employee usually pays a portion. Just wondering what amount to budget for what we might have to pay for my husband and myself. I have heard that health insurance costs are higher in Arizona.

I have also read that vehicle insurance is higher, so I am budgeting an extra $35 a month for that.
I moved here just over 3 years ago from Iowa, so I will try to answer your questions.

Pet friendly apartments are very easy to find here. The trick is finding one that doesn't charge pet rent. Since you have just one cat you will have an easier time than I did (2 cats, 2 small dogs) but I was still able to find something pretty easily without the extra monthly fees. My first place here was in a small complex in Deer Valley (northern Phoenix) for $600 a month with fenced yard. (All updated with granite and stainless appliances, but very small about 625 sq ft) Another place I rented was in the east valley for $795 per month, 2 BR 2 bath privately owned condo, enclosed patio, lots of space (about 1000 sq ft). So it is possible to find for $900. I used Craig's List every time.

Depending on the construction (insulation, the condition of the AC) of the apartment and which way it faces, your $100 a month may or may not work. My first place, that would have covered it. My last rental faced north and was shaded so electric in the summer on the 1000 sq ft was never more than $125 with the temp on about 80 during the day when we weren't home to about 74-75 at night.

IME sewer, water, and garbage are included but not heat. That can vary depending on where you live, of course.

My health insurance premiums are a bit higher than what I was paying in Iowa, but that's a fact of life with the "affordable" care act. Mine didn't increase all that much, though, and I am willing to bet had I stayed in Iowa, I'd be paying about what I am now. (when I first arrived here my premiums were pretty much the same as back in IA, so I am just assuming that the increases would be similar)

Vehicle insurance will vary by neighborhood and what type of car. Mine didn't change much at all.

The standard answer here is what you can rent for your money will depend on exactly where you live and where you live SHOULD depend on where you work as commute times can be VERY long.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Oh and another thing I noticed is that produce is SUPER cheap here, the rest of the food I buy is pretty much the same. Don't even bother with sweet corn here.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
That's more than enough for a nice 1 bedroom apt here, but you are a couple hundred minimum short on any house. For 900 a month, you are definitely in the budget of the nicer places, (newly remodled with granite counter tops, garages), I would say average is around $600-$750 for a 1bd around here. Yeah most places will charge a little more for a pet, I believe its $25-$50.

Water, sewer, and trash are usually extra and paid with the rent, about $40-$50 more. Some places include electric, but its kind of rare and its usually the larger apts 2bd and up.

Some places include heat/AC but MAKE SURE TO FIND OUT, how the temperature is controlled. The ones that I have found that cover heat and AC have a general temperature control that works throughout the entire building, and nobody in that building has any way of controlling there own specific temperature in there place. If you want it hotter or colder you would need your own space heater or your own air conditioner.

I have a 700 sq ft 1 bdroom, with blackout curtains on all the windows and glass door. I have never shut the AC off during the summer. Even our hottest months here, with my AC at 74 when I am awake, and 72 when I sleep, I was between $97 and $102 a month for 5 months this year. The last few months its been completely shut off, and naturally stays between 70-74 degrees. I am at about $45 a month.

Most of the houses are old, and if by chance you were to find anything in the $900 dollar range its going to be really small, (under 1000 sq ft, and in a bad area), and your bills utilities will be twice as much. I would highly suggest if that's your budget you should just stick with apartments.

I thought insurance was low in Iowa because there is a lot less to hit.. I am not sure if insurance is higher, but make sure you have enough uninsured motorist to cover yourself.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I don't think $100 is unreasonable for a 1 bedroom apartment. I have an 1800 sq ft two story house...full western exposure...one 15 year old ac unit. My wife and toddler son are home all day so we keep it at a comfortable temp (79 day...75 night). Here's my SRP charges for the last year.

If a small condo has higher charges than mine you must have very poor insulation or a failing unit.
Seems a lot more accurate that $250+ on a small condo.

Both electric companies here also offer equalizer plans, which gives you one equal payment for the whole year. When our house was new and we wanted to do that they just do 10% of the sq footage. Which for bungles example would have been $180/monthly for 1800 sq ft which looks accurate. You will settle up at the end of the year. For us, they way overestimated and I didn't have to pay a power bill for 5 months

Old 01-23-2017, 05:34 PM

50 posts, read 67,664 times
Thanks for all the info so far. My husband favors renting a house, because he has had more than one bad experience with renting apartments while living in Des Moines, IA. Even though I had a bad experience with renting an apartment, I favor the apartment route, because it should be less costly and we will buy a house once our house in Iowa sells. Hoping that it will sell within 6 months, right now it appears that houses in our area are selling within 3 months. Anything we are able to save by renting an apartment rather than a house can go towards things we will need once we buy a house.

We are downsizing as much as possible before making the move, so we will have less to move, and as a result we will probably need to buy some furniture once we buy a house. Some things, like our sofa that is older and very heavy, are just not worth moving.

It looks like I will bump up my budget number for electric a bit to be safe. I had figured on $200 -$250 a month for our cost of employer provided health insurance. Around here that is about what people with coverage have to pay for the family plan. Does that sound reasonable, or should I plan on more?

If there is anything else I am overlooking, let me know. I have a separate cost list set up for things like deposits and vehicle registration.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
If you aren't looking for something that long, depending on when you get here, you may want to just find a temporary place (such as off of craigslist temporary housing,) as opposed to an apt or house with a long term (6 month apartment minimum). I think almost every house is going to have a minimum of 1 year rental. However, in about a month or so all the snowbirds will start leaving. There will be some housing opening up including some of the college students leaving for the summer. Around that time, I would think you would be able to find temporary housing for a few months till you are ready to buy your own home. I know you don't really know the timeline, but it might give you a better chance to just get something when you get here and then change quick to somewhere else that you find suits your needs better. Maybe reevaluate how selling the house is going. I would think that's going to be your best chance to not only get something cheaper, but also find something furnished until you get your permanent space.

Also, for about $900 a month there are long term hotel rentals such as extended stay America. About the size of a large studio with a kitchenette (full size frig, microwave, and stovetop, then get a small toaster oven). They are all over the valley and only need to pay for it a month at a time so you are not in a long term lease. You could even move every other month if you wanted to check out the valley, or find somewhere better, (also furnished with all bills included, (water, sewer, trash, internet, minimal cable, and as cold or as hot as you want it)).

Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRose View Post
Thanks for all the info so far. My husband favors renting a house, because he has had more than one bad experience with renting apartments while living in Des Moines, IA. Even though I had a bad experience with renting an apartment, I favor the apartment route, because it should be less costly and we will buy a house once our house in Iowa sells. Hoping that it will sell within 6 months, right now it appears that houses in our area are selling within 3 months. Anything we are able to save by renting an apartment rather than a house can go towards things we will need once we buy a house.

We are downsizing as much as possible before making the move, so we will have less to move, and as a result we will probably need to buy some furniture once we buy a house. Some things, like our sofa that is older and very heavy, are just not worth moving.

It looks like I will bump up my budget number for electric a bit to be safe. I had figured on $200 -$250 a month for our cost of employer provided health insurance. Around here that is about what people with coverage have to pay for the family plan. Does that sound reasonable, or should I plan on more?

If there is anything else I am overlooking, let me know. I have a separate cost list set up for things like deposits and vehicle registration.
I would really recommend renting for at least that first year. The valley is huge and what you think is the perfect area for you at first may turn out not to be. Better to be in a rental than stuck in a house. I have lived in 3 different areas of the valley before choosing my neighborhood and I am glad I did. (Had I taken advice on here I would have probably moved to Gilbert or Chandler and I know I would be miserable there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area