U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM

61 posts, read 70,383 times

Advertisements

looking for a snowbird spot.

considering Anthem, AZ

anyone know Anthem well??

good dining, variety and specialty shopping, golfing, how bad is traffic getting to PHX, things of that nature.

many thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:22 AM

3,102 posts, read 2,791,067 times
Might try asking this in the Phoenix forum...or search for topics in there...you'll probably get better answers.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:23 AM

2,081 posts, read 4,149,688 times
Yes depending on which Anthem you are referring too, as Anthem is a brand name of Pulte Corp. (actually either one will be fine for snowbirds).

The one generally just called "Anthem" is in the far north valley, zip code 85086. It was initially developed by Del Webb as a planned community. It is a nice area with easy access to I-17. The community has a lot of amenities, parks, schools etc. Golf can be had in the Anthem Country Club and nearby at a variety of public and semi-public courses. Nearby there is adequate shopping and dining options to meet almost anyone's needs. Of course Phoenix is just down the road if you want to attend concerts, sporting events, or just need a little of the urban conveniences that we get used too. Homes in Anthem range from affordable condos to high end luxury homes in the Country Club.

You should be aware that there is a second Anthem community "Anthem at Merrill Ranch" in the southeast valley near Florence, zip code 85132. This is a newer community with both active adult and traditional sections (again a Pulte development). This community is a bit less convenient as the area is a little less developed right now. Although you still have access to shopping and dining, etc. you just do not have easy access to cultural events.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM

9,289 posts, read 9,881,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Yes depending on which Anthem you are referring too, as Anthem is a brand name of Pulte Corp. (actually either one will be fine for snowbirds).

The one generally just called "Anthem" is in the far north valley, zip code 85086. It was initially developed by Del Webb as a planned community. It is a nice area with easy access to I-17. The community has a lot of amenities, parks, schools etc. Golf can be had in the Anthem Country Club and nearby at a variety of public and semi-public courses. Nearby there is adequate shopping and dining options to meet almost anyone's needs. Of course Phoenix is just down the road if you want to attend concerts, sporting events, or just need a little of the urban conveniences that we get used too. Homes in Anthem range from affordable condos to high end luxury homes in the Country Club.
Anthem is farther than "just down the road" IMO. It's a good ways, especially to those who are not familiar with the valley. Depending on time of day it would take approximately 35 minutes to an hour to get to the airport, for example. (Google map says it is 35-40 miles to the airport from there depending on the route and where exactly in Anthem you are starting from) It's quite north.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:56 PM

4,682 posts, read 8,965,032 times
Anthem is not close to anything and would not be my choice for a "snowbird" spot. It is 30+ miles to downtown. When I retire I don't want to be that far detached from the rest of the valley.

I live in the "far west valley" (almost to Buckeye) and Anthem is further from downtown than I am way out here.

That's just me though.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:58 PM

6,785 posts, read 12,614,390 times
I'll echo the others, especially since you mentioned, "'good dining, variety and specialty shopping". It's too far out.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:07 PM

61 posts, read 70,383 times
thanks to many for the replies, Anthem was suggested to us but it sounds like it is too close to Phoenix for us.

currently we have a city just about 30 miles and that is close enough for immediate needs, gasoline, ice cream, coffee.
everyone does their main pantry filling and fridge fill ups in billings, 130 miles or so away, that's the distance we are looking for and what we consider 'close'.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:30 PM

4,682 posts, read 8,965,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernborn View Post
thanks to many for the replies, Anthem was suggested to us but it sounds like it is too close to Phoenix for us.

currently we have a city just about 30 miles and that is close enough for immediate needs, gasoline, ice cream, coffee.
everyone does their main pantry filling and fridge fill ups in billings, 130 miles or so away, that's the distance we are looking for and what we consider 'close'.
Anthem too close to Phoenix? 130 miles is going to put you in areas that have winter and you won't be enjoying the great weather of Phoenix as a snowbird. Unless you're thinking west towards Yuma or California?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:17 PM

6,785 posts, read 12,614,390 times
You want to live in the middle of nowhere yet have, "good dining, variety and specialty shopping"? You're looking for a contradiction and will never find it.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:19 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,149,688 times
Since you are considering being a snowbird I assume you want warm winter weather. If that is true then you want to be near Phoenix. Of course I would need more detail, but since daily commute won't be an issue several of the outlying areas would work well for you.

Anthem is a good location, you might also consider Surprise, Sun City (if you qualify), or Fountain Hills. These areas are popular with snowbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or