Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This is BS. It's about being conservative with tax dollars, not some elitism conspiracy. The determination has been made that the incredible investment simply isn't a good use of tax-payer funds. I could see the counterargument but that's the real reason why it won't happen in Scottsdale anytime soon.
You know this how? Do you sit on City Council in Scottsdale?

https://www.google.com/amp/ktar.com/...?client=safari

This very article states the council members in Scottsdale have said that "millionaires don't come to Scottsdale to ride light rail." If this isn't classism, I don't know what is. I would wager that most people in Scottsdale are not millionaires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Don't worry, with Elon Musk's new tunnel diggers, everybody is going to have a subway!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
You know this how? Do you sit on City Council in Scottsdale?

https://www.google.com/amp/ktar.com/...?client=safari

This very article states the council members in Scottsdale have said that "millionaires don't come to Scottsdale to ride light rail." If this isn't classism, I don't know what is. I would wager that most people in Scottsdale are not millionaires.
Sounds like they're referring to tourists, not citizens.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This is BS. It's about being conservative with tax dollars, not some elitism conspiracy. The determination has been made that the incredible investment simply isn't a good use of tax-payer funds. I could see the counterargument but that's the real reason why it won't happen in Scottsdale anytime soon.
It may not be overt classism, but the perception that transit fuels crime (seldom true beyond a few isolated cases with special circumstances involved) has been cited in Scottsdale. One outspoken opponent there has called light rail a "crime delivery system. " It's definitely about more than just fiscal conservatism.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It may not be overt classism, but the perception that transit fuels crime (seldom true beyond a few isolated cases with special circumstances involved) has been cited in Scottsdale. One outspoken opponent there has called light rail a "crime delivery system. " It's definitely about more than just fiscal conservatism.
Or on the flip side, all of the millionaire/billionaires in Scottsdale can get their illegal drugs delivered right to them, without having to leave the city and drive to the seedier parts of the metroplex.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
The bus routes in and out of Scottsdale are heavily used. How do you think the people who work in the hotels, resorts, restaurants get to work? A lot of them don't own cars. I don't think that buses are any less of a "crime delivery system" than rail would be.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I don't think that buses are any less of a "crime delivery system" than rail would be.
A lot of us posters on here, including myself, bring that argument up over and over and over again when certain posters insist that the only reason Scottsdale doesn't want light rail is to keep the crime out. It's like beating a dead horse, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I feel better reasoning would be how do they come up with the hundreds of millions to pay for half of it (feds usually pay for the other half) and also the amount of time and disruption it takes to put the lines. It would be nice if they found a way to construct it quicker, but since they place the line on surface streets, all of those utilities need to be relocated from under the future location of the light rail line, and that takes forever.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:53 AM

83 posts, read 75,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If the Phoenix to Tucson rail line comes to fruition, it looks like they will be using that San Tan Valley to downtown Phoenix rail line/ROW that is already in place there. Depending on whether they will be putting in additional lines and/or just leasing the current line for the owner, they could easily just "overlay" a commuter line in that section when the Phoenix to Tucson train is not running.
That looks really interesting. I would love to try that out if it were in place already.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:07 AM

83 posts, read 75,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If the Phoenix to Tucson rail line comes to fruition, it looks like they will be using that San Tan Valley to downtown Phoenix rail line/ROW that is already in place there. Depending on whether they will be putting in additional lines and/or just leasing the current line for the owner, they could easily just "overlay" a commuter line in that section when the Phoenix to Tucson train is not running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The bus routes in and out of Scottsdale are heavily used. How do you think the people who work in the hotels, resorts, restaurants get to work? A lot of them don't own cars. I don't think that buses are any less of a "crime delivery system" than rail would be.
I think a better more active bus system would be helpful to the area. I have heard that it is sparse and not many routes like in other cities. Is this true?

I don't know Scottsdale very well, or any City Council members or anything, but if that is what they said (crime delivery system), that is too bad. I have visited and stayed in that area (Scottsdale) and it seemed like just an overpriced, polluted, and congested area to me. I saw piles of garbage on the ground, and in the big aquaduct thing. I was very surprised that this area was so dirty being a high-priced area. Sorry if I am off topic a bit....

Old 02-14-2017, 09:44 AM

226 posts, read 227,470 times
[quote=Stjoan;47189809]I think a better more active bus system would be helpful to the area. I have heard that it is sparse and not many routes like in other cities. Is this true?

quote]

The bus system is adequate for a city this size. Many people do not realize how spread out the Phoenix metro area is (nearly 500 square miles!) so our bus service covers a lot of area. Yes, many routes may only run once every half hour or once an hour, but if you need to travel from, say 59th Avenue and Van Buren to Scottsdale and Shea, it's quite a bargain for a $4.00 daily bus pass. You can burn $4.00 in gas just making the drive one way. It's worth the 2 or 3 hours out of your day to make the trip.

Compliment the bus service with an expanded light rail system, and (in the words of Buddy Ryan), "You've got a winner in town!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area