Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's funny how the people who protest for open borders and free stuff while blocking traffic aren't the ones actually inconvenienced going to or from work to PAY for those "free" things...
The cops were blocking traffic. Not the protestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
It's funny how people don't care about human rights until it interferes with convenience.
Specifically name the human rights violations your referring to.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Specifically name the human rights violations your referring to.
Quote:
We stand with ALL IMMIGRANTS--DOCUMENTED AND UNDOCUMENTED.
We stand with our MUSLIM brothers and sisters against ISLAMOPHOBIA.
We stand with our BLACK brothers and sisters against POLICE BRUTALITY and proclaim that BLACK LIVES MATTER.
We stand with ALL communities of COLOR against all forms of RACISM.
We stand with FIRST NATIONS, our INDIGENOUS COMMUNITIES, and with STANDING ROCK, and declare that the DAKOTA ACCESS PIPELINE, SOUTH MOUNTAIN FREEWAY, and all forms of COLONIZATION will no...t be tolerated.
We stand with the TRANS and ***** communities against all forms of inequality, HOMOPHOBIA, AND TRANSPHOBIA.
We stand with WOMEN and demand equal treatment, access to healthcare, equal pay, and to SMASH PATRIARCHY AND MISOGYNY.
We stand with WORKERS, the ENVIRONMENT, for UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE, and for all people and communities struggling against OPPRESSION."
They are bolded for you.

Instances of such:

- Muslim ban.
- All the instances of police brutality should not be any news for you. How many times have you seen cops or security guards use excessive force? It's regularly and while more targeted against black people and other POC however the police have used excessive force on white people countless of times. This is for more police accountability.
- Militarized police sending attack dogs on Dakota Access Pipeline protestors.
- Bathroom discrimination.
- Defunding Planned Parenthood was many ways for women to get cervical cancer screenings, pap smears, and mammograms for poor women. There's also the Brock Turner case and many since that favored the rapist, even in proven situations, over the raped. I can name such an instance where a guy raped his own five year old daughter and received no jail time. I can also name a more recent case where a teenager was let off on the promise of "just promise to be abstinent until marriage" by one judge who has a history of giving that same sentence to sexual assault perpetrators. Rape culture and unreported sexual abuse and harassment is one way many women don't receive equal treatment, many don't report because of the condescending treatment they receive and know that with these kind of judges and juries in that position know it won't really provide justice.
- The constant prioritization by our government in favor of corporations, making sure we still fight amongst each other instead of the people keeping things more stressful and less affordable for us. Corporations have seen outstanding increases in profit and in their top executives without any of that profit transferring to the lower rungs of the corporation. The system no longer favors the middle and lower classes.
- The current executive order allowing coal mines to dump debris into rivers and streams affecting the local water supply is one. In another way, the Dakota Access Pipeline also falls here. Also Trump's executive order not allowing the CDC or the EPA to hold any form of conference or talk on climate change, or even report temperature data (see the Badlands Twitter account incident).

Isn't it nice when your voice is heard? That's why people protest.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What these protesters fail to understand is that no one is going to take them seriously until they actually vote. You can protest all you want but it is meaningless unless its on a ballot.
You're keep repeating an incorrect assumption here. We took part in the Women's March on 1/21 and the demonstration at Sky Harbor 1/29. Many of our friends did as well. For the record, we all voted.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
I'd be disappointed if DPS kept me from mowing them down. I have a bumper on my car that was made in Australia to bounce roos off the front of it at 65mph without getting a scratch. Perfect for protestors. Free speech baby... protest day was in November. Get out of the way of the people who make your community work!

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 02-18-2017 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 12:09 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You're keep repeating an incorrect assumption here. We took part in the Women's March on 1/21 and the demonstration at Sky Harbor 1/29. Many of our friends did as well. For the record, we all voted.

I named the bumper of my truck "Darwin".

Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
This kind of reminds me of the incident last year when Trump was in Fountain Hills giving a speech. A bunch of pathetic protesters blocked Shea Blvd., who not only inhibited people from seeing Trump, they obstructed a major thoroughfare which restricted general travel. People have the right to protest, but they need to do it in a way that doesn't inconvenience others!

Old 02-18-2017, 12:17 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
And it indeed accomplishes nothing except perhaps makes the people protesting/marching feel like they have some control over something they realistically have no control over. Your vote? 180 degree different story.

Actually, the protests I think are often counter productive as many of these "marches", protests, etc. have had more than a few people breaking the law/doing violence, leaving lots of garbage behind, screaming/swearing over losing who knows what like in that "woman's march", and now what we see here in Phoenix, fascist/against the law behavior like blocking traffic that I can tell you 101% will do far more to turn people off than gain sympathy for a cause.

But hey, knock yourself out protesting/marching/whatever if it makes some people feel good/gives them a sense of control as it indeed is one's right. Just drop the fascist/law breaking nonsense that impacts others negatively.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:47 PM

The protestors weren't blocking traffic. The police were blocking all four exit ramps. Keep trying though.

If you think protestors need to behave in your likeness to get them to listen to you you're pathetic. Should black people not have blocked roads during the Civil Rights Movement to fight segregation and Jim Crow Laws? What about being a decent human being and not supporting that nonsense or allowing it to happen in the first place? Truth be told if being goody two-shoes and democratic methods worked things would have never gotten so far as our current President clearly discriminating against a certain group of people (Middle Easterners who may or may not identify as Muslim). And Jim Crow laws would have never happened. Or the Holocaust. At one point do you say, "This is enough, I gotta say something,"? We cannot keep being complicit and give up more and more of our voice and political influence.

Also many people gave Trump too much faith and expected him not to follow on promises but truth be told, he is, and that's freaking out a lot of people, which is why they are acting now so something doesn't happen in the future.

Do you know how many people had to give up their convenience and comfort to fight slavery in our country? If no white people stood up back then, or any day since, I'd argue we'd still have slavery today. Someone has to stand up and do something. So why not now? And use effective methods, like this, that gets people to listen to you. Not doing some bullsh*t sit-in that doesn't garner any attention. Be a bit crazy, a bit wild, so that the media looks your way. Why do you think celebrities actively do nonsense on a daily basis? Because the media likes it, and they get more money for doing that.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:53 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The protestors weren't blocking traffic. The police were blocking all four exit ramps. Keep trying though.

If you think protestors need to behave in your likeness to get them to listen to you you're pathetic. Should black people not have blocked roads during the Civil Rights Movement to fight segregation and Jim Crow Laws? What about being a decent human being and not supporting that nonsense or allowing it to happen in the first place? Truth be told if being goody two-shoes and democratic methods worked things would have never gotten so far as our current President clearly discriminating against a certain group of people (Middle Easterners who may or may not identify as Muslim). And Jim Crow laws would have never happened. Or the Holocaust. At one point do you say, "This is enough, I gotta say something,"? We cannot keep being complicit and give up more and more of our voice and political influence.

Also many people gave Trump too much faith and expected him not to follow on promises but truth be told, he is, and that's freaking out a lot of people, which is why they are acting now so something doesn't happen in the future.

Do you know how many people had to give up their convenience and comfort to fight slavery in our country? If no white people stood up back then, or any day since, I'd argue we'd still have slavery today. Someone has to stand up and do something. So why not now? And use effective methods, like this, that gets people to listen to you. Not doing some bullsh*t sit-in that doesn't garner any attention. Be a bit crazy, a bit wild, so that the media looks your way. Why do you think celebrities actively do nonsense on a daily basis? Because the media likes it, and they get more money for doing that.
You're equating illegal aliens and their "rights" they are demanding in Phoenix to blacks fighting slavery?

Ouch.

And we currently have plenty of anti discrimination laws for ALL human beings in place who are legal citizens in this country so I'm not sure what the paranoia is about. If/when such rights are broken for an individual, the place for such matters is the court and lawsuits and legal channels, not yelling in the air in the rain in Phoenix but yes, it's their right to do so....I just find it an ineffective process overall.

As for your point of the police blocking off the roads, yes, that's a different story of course, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area