Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,258,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Who can blame them!! They remember well the 2000 Presidential election results!! And they'll never forget the Presidential election results of 2016!!! So why vote when the popular vote is meaningless!!!
I can blame them because that thinking is flawed. The popular vote is the overall vote count. However, if they are residents of states like Arizona or Florida, their vote very much matters. If Clinton had won Florida and Arizona, states with high Hispanic populations, she would have won the election. But the Latino residents in those states do not vote and that why is their candidates lose. In Arizona, 20% of the Hispanic population is eligible to vote. However, the actual percentage that votes is far below that number. If they came out and voted (most would have voted for Clinton), Clinton would have likely won the state.

If you can't request an early ballot and then drop it off in the mail, then you can't complain. It's that simple. Either put up or shut up. Can't whine when you were too lazy to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,361,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
sorry, but you need some fact checking

Popular Vote Results: Trump Would Have Won by 3 Million Without California or New York

take away California and she got whipped, then remove the nut jobs in New York and she was slaughtered

the reality is, most of this country couldnt stand the thought of EITHER of them winning, they just felt they hated Him less than they hated her...
How is removing the most populous and fourth-most populous states in the Union from the popular vote totals "fact checking"?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 PM

164 posts, read 182,793 times
It would be interesting to know what percentage of protesters were registered voters and actually voted. The protesters were not all Hispanic by any means. Hispanics could run the show if they got organized and participated in our democracy. A lot of people are going to get hurt.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,929,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
sorry, but you need some fact checking

Popular Vote Results: Trump Would Have Won by 3 Million Without California or New York

take away California and she got whipped, then remove the nut jobs in New York and she was slaughtered

the reality is, most of this country couldnt stand the thought of EITHER of them winning, they just felt they hated Him less than they hated her...
You need some fact checking. You're not even talking about the same thing.

He won 80k more votes in the Midwest causing him to get electoral votes assumed to go Blue, those electoral votes are what put him in the win column. If those 80k votes went Blue, he wouldn't be President.

Nobody is talking about what you're talking about. Arizona is the same way, the State was decided by a hair margin, and its because these protestors didn't vote that they are protesting right now.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:31 PM

2,804 posts, read 3,163,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I can blame them because that thinking is flawed. The popular vote is the overall vote count. However, if they are residents of states like Arizona or Florida, their vote very much matters. If Clinton had won Florida and Arizona, states with high Hispanic populations, she would have won the election. But the Latino residents in those states do not vote and that why is their candidates lose. In Arizona, 20% of the Hispanic population is eligible to vote. However, the actual percentage that votes is far below that number. If they came out and voted (most would have voted for Clinton), Clinton would have likely won the state.

If you can't request an early ballot and then drop it off in the mail, then you can't complain. It's that simple. Either put up or shut up. Can't whine when you were too lazy to vote.
I agree. When I had my citizenship ceremony down at South Mountain Community College (or similar?) there were about 80%+ Hispanics. They offered us to register to vote after the swearing in. Yet hardly anyone did. That is just plain stupid.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
How is removing the most populous and fourth-most populous states in the Union from the popular vote totals "fact checking"?
All I can say every time I hear this is how some can think that TWO states should dictate who is running the country. Given that scenario all a candidate would have to do is campaign or purchase TWO states to sit in the big chair.
No Bueno!

Old 02-20-2017, 02:48 PM

17,390 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
They are bolded for you.

Instances of such:

- Muslim ban.
- All the instances of police brutality should not be any news for you. How many times have you seen cops or security guards use excessive force? It's regularly and while more targeted against black people and other POC however the police have used excessive force on white people countless of times. This is for more police accountability.
- Militarized police sending attack dogs on Dakota Access Pipeline protestors.
- Bathroom discrimination.
- Defunding Planned Parenthood was many ways for women to get cervical cancer screenings, pap smears, and mammograms for poor women. There's also the Brock Turner case and many since that favored the rapist, even in proven situations, over the raped. I can name such an instance where a guy raped his own five year old daughter and received no jail time. I can also name a more recent case where a teenager was let off on the promise of "just promise to be abstinent until marriage" by one judge who has a history of giving that same sentence to sexual assault perpetrators. Rape culture and unreported sexual abuse and harassment is one way many women don't receive equal treatment, many don't report because of the condescending treatment they receive and know that with these kind of judges and juries in that position know it won't really provide justice.
- The constant prioritization by our government in favor of corporations, making sure we still fight amongst each other instead of the people keeping things more stressful and less affordable for us. Corporations have seen outstanding increases in profit and in their top executives without any of that profit transferring to the lower rungs of the corporation. The system no longer favors the middle and lower classes.
- The current executive order allowing coal mines to dump debris into rivers and streams affecting the local water supply is one. In another way, the Dakota Access Pipeline also falls here. Also Trump's executive order not allowing the CDC or the EPA to hold any form of conference or talk on climate change, or even report temperature data (see the Badlands Twitter account incident).

Isn't it nice when your voice is heard? That's why people protest.
You are right. That's why, all those years ago I protested with the Tea Party. And look at the change we brought about.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Where did I mention illegal immigrants anywhere in my comments? I am talking about basic civil rights here, many of which for citizens who are women and people of color, and the LGBTQIA+ community.

I have not mentioned once illegal or legal immigration until right now, asking where you thought I talked about that. Why not talk about the instances I actually mentioned previously, like the Muslim ban on LEGAL VISA CARRYING PEOPLE or our right to clean water, or women having access to our very specialized medical needs given our different bodies?

Out of all the instances I named, and I named so many, you pulled one out of thin air that I didn't even say. Great derail.
There is no such ban.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Immigrants are still human beings and deserve basic human rights, I'm not sure why you think they don't.

We can't even give our own citizens and legal immigrants (in the process of and even naturalized if they are Middle Eastern in particular) basic human rights. Our illegal immigrants deserve it too. Anyone, even tourists, deserve them while they are within our borders.

But I didn't mention it because illegal immigration is all Republicans get stuck on and refuse to talk about other things, which is preventing police and judicial discrimination against people of color (police brutality) and women (rape culture). If you address these things then basic human rights even for illegal immigrants would be met as well. Mainly what affects illegal Hispanic immigrants also affects legalized, US-born and naturalized Hispanic immigrants as well. It's about time we start treating our discrimination issues and police profiling as something not just against "illegals" which is an offensive term, but against people who look anything other than white.

I hands down support the protestors, they align with my political beliefs except outside of the South Mountain Freeway. I'm glad to see that things are changing here for the better, and passive activism or "passtivism" is no longer an effective method for getting heard and having your demands met.
Human rights are one thing. Getting welfare, healthcare, education and housing on the taxpayer's dime is quite another. You think tourists should get those while they're here as well? Interesting.....

Old 02-20-2017, 03:12 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,900,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
All I can say every time I hear this is how some can think that TWO states should dictate who is running the country. Given that scenario all a candidate would have to do is campaign or purchase TWO states to sit in the big chair.
No Bueno!
THIS right here
Its why the founding fathers were wise enough to setup the electoral college, so one or 2 large states couldnt control the outcome of the election..

THAT is the FACT, JACK!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area