Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow2522 View Post
After reading all the replies and talking with some AZ people, we decided it's not for us.
These are my reasons:
Having to spray poison inside and outside, not knowing the harm those chemicals are doing.
Not being able to enjoy the pool because the water gets unbearably hot.
Thanks to everyone who left a comment.
I've never sprayed poison inside and out in decades of living here, not had an issue. And no, the water does not get unbearably hot with aeration, exactly how your pool is situated makes a difference too. If you've decided against it, that's your choice, but you are basing it on bad info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 06:00 AM

33 posts, read 34,281 times
Quote:
After reading all the replies and talking with some AZ people, we decided it's not for us.
These are my reasons:
Having to spray poison inside and outside, not knowing the harm those chemicals are doing.
Haha that was fast.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Unbearably hot pool water? What would that temp have to be? So hot you can't touch it or sit in it? Like boiling? Hotter than a hot tub? Hot tubs are usually 100 degrees-ish and are bearable, so I really can't see a pool ever getting that warm.

With full sun all year last year and hot summer temps, my pool never made it past 90 degrees last year. When it is 118, that still feels pretty good, especially swimming at night. I was able to tolerate it all the way to the beginning of October

I would say other, more buggy, parts of the country require spraying more "poison" inside and out than here.

Those 2 reasons being the actual reasons are just...odd. But, hey, if it's not for you here, it's not for you!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
People are always searching for their utopia.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
She made her decision...no need to try and talk her out of it.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Regarding the OP return post, I must admit that it being "too hot to swim" is a new one for the reasons we've heard not to live here.

More generally, one thing I've learned from being on this forum a little while is that there are alot of people who are really, really scared of bugs/pests and are fairly convinced that there is some sort of danger to their everyday lives from scorpions and rattlesnakes.

Some people do some research and realize it's really unlikely and so they get over it, but other people just can't shake the fear. Many fears are irrational, after all.

Maybe it's because their current apartment/house doesn't happen to have a problem with roaches/rats/whatever urban pests are common to their city, and so they think it can't ever affect them there. But if you move, then they think about the 1/10000th possibility of getting bit by a scorpion or snake and it freaks them out.

Psychology's really interesting in some ways.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:17 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Darn! Spurned again!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:19 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
More generally, one thing I've learned from being on this forum a little while is that there are alot of people who are really, really scared of bugs/pests and are fairly convinced that there is some sort of danger to their everyday lives from scorpions and rattlesnakes.
It's funny, isn't it? Every place has its "dangers" but only when one moves do they look more closely at the new ones.

This guy for example was living near me back in CT. I had no idea. (It's a fisher cat and ate all my neighbors koi, we think)

Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
These are my reasons:
Right decision - wrong reasons (well pool water being uninviting in August is true). The biggest reasons: quality of life with the heat in summer, annoying tourists in winter, the over crowding and depressing congestion everywhere, horrible schools, freeway shootings that kill a lot more people than scorpions do, and more...

Old 03-23-2017, 12:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Right decision - wrong reasons (well pool water being uninviting in August is true). The biggest reasons: quality of life with the heat in summer, annoying tourists in winter, the over crowding and depressing congestion everywhere, horrible schools, freeway shootings that kill a lot more people than scorpions do, and more...
Uninviting and "unbearably hot" are 2 different things. My pool was quite nice last August. It didn't keep me out of it every spare moment I had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area