Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM

23 posts, read 57,153 times

Advertisements

The original poster bailed out on their plan to move, but since so many people read these posts to find very similar answers, I answered below:

STORES/FOOD: Right along the 10 Fwy (goes north and south between Ahwatukee and Tempe/Chandler areas) there are a TON of great grocery stores - Sprouts, AJ's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. I think you'll find the selection of produce, nuts, spices, etc to your liking. As for gardening... it's a challenge, but I know people who have grown lemons and cilantro/herbs successfully. I think you might enjoy the patio lifestyle in Arizona.... eating outdoors from October through May is common. Some crazy hard-core Phoenicians do it all year, with the help of misters!

CREATURES: Depending on the area, scorpions and snakes can be an issue. The closer you live to a natural area (desert area), the more problems you may have. Generally, if you're in a neighborhood, you're fine. I have lived in the Phoenix area off and on for many years and have never seen a snake in a neighborhood, and we have never had problems with scorpions. Scorpions, from what I understand, are territorial, so while you might not have them, your neighbor may, but they'll stay in their area. If you see little geckos around your house, leave them alone... that's a good sign that they're eating the bugs that scorpions would normally eat. If you find a house you like - if you see a scorpion body, don't buy or rent... they are nearly impossible to get rid of. If they've been there, they're probably still there. Spiders are basically the same everywhere in the nation... there are scary spiders everywhere, but most keep to themselves and like dark, quiet places like your garage or wood pile. The one spider you will run across in AZ is the wolf spider - good-sized, fast, but they're more scared of you. They're interesting, actually, and kind of pretty for a spider... think Charlotte's Web.

HOMESCHOOLING: Arizona has some of the best homeschool laws in the nation. You will need to file a notice of intent (look on the county website), but that's about it. Arizona leaves homeschoolers alone. No testing. No home inspections. Maricopa County is very homeschool-friendly.... coming from California, I was shocked at how nice everyone was, and how helpful. There are tons of homeschool groups, if you're interested, but there are special events for home taught kids as well... at the museums, aquarium, etc. There is way more to do on the east side, than the west side.
Here is the website for the Maricopa County School Superintendent's office, including special ed resources:
https://mcesaaz.squarespace.com/homeschooling-2

PRIVACY/QUIET: I don't know where in Chicago you live, city or suburbs, but even the neighborhood areas of most of the greater Phoenix area are so quiet, compared to places like Chicago or Los Angeles suburbs. You feel like you're on vacation. The summers are hotter than anything you've ever felt. "They" say it's a "dry heat"... that doesn't really matter when it's 119-degrees. The heat is oppressive, but you pick what you hate more... cold and snow from October through May, or triple-digit heat from mid-May until Halloween. You'll never have to shovel snow again! LOL Your flip-flops will stick to the blacktop! Courtyard gates are semi-common in Arizona. You have a nice decorative iron gate that you can lock... that opens to a courtyard, so people can't just walk up to your front door. If you put a "no soliciting" sign, most religious people will not knock on your door. Most, but not all. If you don't have a pool in your own back yard, many communities have a pool. This is helpful when you have small children... less of a worry, unless they can swim very well. Some neighborhoods have their own "residents only" mini swim parks.

Last edited by MamaGrace; 11-15-2017 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: updated info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 3,675 times
Looking to move to Arizona (i.e. Scottsdale, Peoria, Central Phoenix or Gilbert). Looking at the best school districts for m special needs son. He will be entering High School next year. Obviously looking for clean, safe neighborhoods with good schools. Maximum house price in my range $245,000.

My parents grew up in Phoenix and I was born there but moved away when I was 5-years old. I haven't been to Phoenix in over 15 years.

Any suggestions???

Old 02-03-2018, 10:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl100 View Post
Looking to move to Arizona (i.e. Scottsdale, Peoria, Central Phoenix or Gilbert). Looking at the best school districts for m special needs son. He will be entering High School next year. Obviously looking for clean, safe neighborhoods with good schools. Maximum house price in my range $245,000.

My parents grew up in Phoenix and I was born there but moved away when I was 5-years old. I haven't been to Phoenix in over 15 years.

Any suggestions???
Of the cities listed, I think Peoria is the only one that may fit within your budget.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:04 PM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
Look on Realtor.com, there are some 3 BR homes in your budget within Gilbert & Chandler. Not many. If you can push up the budget a little more you can find something, although it seems like home inventory is on the low side.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGrace View Post
The original poster bailed out on their plan to move, but since so many people read these posts to find very similar answers, I answered below:

STORES/FOOD: Right along the 10 Fwy (goes north and south between Ahwatukee and Tempe/Chandler areas) there are a TON of great grocery stores - Sprouts, AJ's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. I think you'll find the selection of produce, nuts, spices, etc to your liking. As for gardening... it's a challenge, but I know people who have grown lemons and cilantro/herbs successfully. I think you might enjoy the patio lifestyle in Arizona.... eating outdoors from October through May is common. Some crazy hard-core Phoenicians do it all year, with the help of misters!

CREATURES: Depending on the area, scorpions and snakes can be an issue. The closer you live to a natural area (desert area), the more problems you may have. Generally, if you're in a neighborhood, you're fine. I have lived in the Phoenix area off and on for many years and have never seen a snake in a neighborhood, and we have never had problems with scorpions. Scorpions, from what I understand, are territorial, so while you might not have them, your neighbor may, but they'll stay in their area. If you see little geckos around your house, leave them alone... that's a good sign that they're eating the bugs that scorpions would normally eat. If you find a house you like - if you see a scorpion body, don't buy or rent... they are nearly impossible to get rid of. If they've been there, they're probably still there. Spiders are basically the same everywhere in the nation... there are scary spiders everywhere, but most keep to themselves and like dark, quiet places like your garage or wood pile. The one spider you will run across in AZ is the wolf spider - good-sized, fast, but they're more scared of you. They're interesting, actually, and kind of pretty for a spider... think Charlotte's Web.

HOMESCHOOLING: Arizona has some of the best homeschool laws in the nation. You will need to file a notice of intent (look on the county website), but that's about it. Arizona leaves homeschoolers alone. No testing. No home inspections. Maricopa County is very homeschool-friendly.... coming from California, I was shocked at how nice everyone was, and how helpful. There are tons of homeschool groups, if you're interested, but there are special events for home taught kids as well... at the museums, aquarium, etc. There is way more to do on the east side, than the west side.
Here is the website for the Maricopa County School Superintendent's office, including special ed resources:
https://mcesaaz.squarespace.com/homeschooling-2

PRIVACY/QUIET: I don't know where in Chicago you live, city or suburbs, but even the neighborhood areas of most of the greater Phoenix area are so quiet, compared to places like Chicago or Los Angeles suburbs. You feel like you're on vacation. The summers are hotter than anything you've ever felt. "They" say it's a "dry heat"... that doesn't really matter when it's 119-degrees. The heat is oppressive, but you pick what you hate more... cold and snow from October through May, or triple-digit heat from mid-May until Halloween. You'll never have to shovel snow again! LOL Your flip-flops will stick to the blacktop! Courtyard gates are semi-common in Arizona. You have a nice decorative iron gate that you can lock... that opens to a courtyard, so people can't just walk up to your front door. If you put a "no soliciting" sign, most religious people will not knock on your door. Most, but not all. If you don't have a pool in your own back yard, many communities have a pool. This is helpful when you have small children... less of a worry, unless they can swim very well. Some neighborhoods have their own "residents only" mini swim parks.
You may have missed it but the OP is still considering a move to Phoenix. They just got scared by the negative comments initially. I believe they are planning to visit in the near future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area