Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,627 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

35 year old single male planning to move from NYC to Scottsdale in April. I've visited Scottsdale 2x in the past 3 months and took tours of a couple of different apartment complexes( 56 north apt, avion on legacy, Alt paradise ridge, the Stetson, San Travesia)but having a hard time deciding where exactly in Scottsdale I should chose to live. My budget is between $900-$1,200 for rent. I'll be working from home so work location will not be a factor. Plan is to start with a 6-month lease to test out until I know the different areas. I'm leaving towards North Scottsdale/Desert ridge area since that is the area i had spent the most time in during my visit since friends live nearby, but is another area better suited for a person in my situation. If anyone could recommend some areas, apartment buildings it would be greatly appreciated.
I know that no one place will check off all my requirements with my budget constraints but would like to get the most for my money. Some of my top factors are
A) affordability; would like to keep it to <$1200, I understand Phoenix might give me more options in the price range, open to that as well.
B) active social scene of single 25+: bars, restaurants, comedy clubs, fitness centers etc; but I also don't want beer cans in the hallways.
C) walk-able factor: I understand a car is a must, and it will never compare to the walk-able factor of NYC, but I would like to be able to walk to a few places like restaurant, grocery story,bar and leave the car at home sometimes.
D) Since summer will be here soon so would like a place where if I'm stuck indoors, the residents interact with each other or and have activities to do.
E) location: I know this will vary greatly depending on where a person plans to visit, being a new person in town, what is considered central where I can get to most places within a 20 min drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 PM

44 posts, read 69,562 times
You'll want to check out the Biltmore area on Camelback in Phoenix. It's away from the rift raft but a straight shot to Scottsdale. Its central location will make your move a lot better. Also, being close to SR51 is the key to get to North Phoenix/Desert Ridge and to Downtown Phoenix. Anything north of Piestewa Peak is going to take a lot of getting used to. This my advice/opinion for someone coming from NYC (and has 1Oak as their username).

Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 AM

197 posts, read 269,729 times
All good choices and great areas you've picked. Camelback/Biltmore Cooridor, Arcadia area (stay north of Indian School though), Old Town Scottsdale, Kierland, or Desert Ridge will be perfect for you.

Downtown Phx still has a long ways to go. Skip that consideration.

Welcome to AZ. Great choice. NYC is great to visit. On that budget, Arizona is a much better place to live.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 AM

127 posts, read 170,077 times
Based on our experiences visiting from the northeast and shopping for neighborhoods, I'm definitely hearing Biltmore/Old Town/Kierland in this, too.

Desert Ridge is very pretty, but it's also very family-oriented and car-oriented.

If I were in your position, I would literally type "Old Town apartments scottsdale" into Google and run with it from there. You should be able to find something appropriate to a single in your price range.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,685,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
All good choices and great areas you've picked. Camelback/Biltmore Cooridor, Arcadia area (stay north of Indian School though), Old Town Scottsdale, Kierland, or Desert Ridge will be perfect for you.

Downtown Phx still has a long ways to go. Skip that consideration.

Welcome to AZ. Great choice. NYC is great to visit. On that budget, Arizona is a much better place to live.
This is a joke right? You somehow rank Kierland and Desert Ridge above downtown Phoenix? Really?

Lets just have a look into what downtown Phoenix is lacking, especially compared to the places mentioned above.

What does downtown Phoenix offer?

Food/Dining/Bars:
There are about 258 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Downtown.
People in Downtown can walk to an average of 7 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.
Including some of the best independent restaurants and bars not only in Phoenix but also ranked in the entire country. Pizzeria Bianco (winner of best pizza nationally) Bitter and Twisted (ranked in the top cocktail bars nationally)

Live Music Venues:
Lost Leaf
Crescent Ballroom
Valley Bar
Bar Smith
Comerica Theatre
Kettle Black Kitchen & Pub, The
Luxx Club
Melinda's Alley
Monarch Theatre
Sky Lounge
Talking Stick Resort Arena
Alice Cooper'stown
The Nash

Arts
Just to name a few.
Roosevelt Row (who knows how many galleries, dozens)
Along with Roosevelt's art walk, one of the largest in the country
Symphony Hall
Ballet Arizona
Phoenix Art Museum
Herberger
Heard Museum
https://artlinkphoenix.com/

Other attractions:
Live pro sports in your backyard
Endless events and concerts rolling through your neighborhood
Continual list of new restaurants opening, not the chains you get at desert ridge and kierland
Parks: Japenese friendship garden, Hance Park, City Park
Events: Viva Phoenix, McDowell Mountain Music Festival, Chile Pepper Festival, Beer Festivals, St. Paddy's Day festivals, and so many more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,905,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
This is a joke right? You somehow rank Kierland and Desert Ridge above downtown Phoenix? Really?

Lets just have a look into what downtown Phoenix is lacking, especially compared to the places mentioned above.

What does downtown Phoenix offer?

Food/Dining/Bars:
There are about 258 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Downtown.
People in Downtown can walk to an average of 7 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.
Including some of the best independent restaurants and bars not only in Phoenix but also ranked in the entire country. Pizzeria Bianco (winner of best pizza nationally) Bitter and Twisted (ranked in the top cocktail bars nationally)

Live Music Venues:
Lost Leaf
Crescent Ballroom
Valley Bar
Bar Smith
Comerica Theatre
Kettle Black Kitchen & Pub, The
Luxx Club
Melinda's Alley
Monarch Theatre
Sky Lounge
Talking Stick Resort Arena
Alice Cooper'stown
The Nash

Arts
Just to name a few.
Roosevelt Row (who knows how many galleries, dozens)
Along with Roosevelt's art walk, one of the largest in the country
Symphony Hall
Ballet Arizona
Phoenix Art Museum
Herberger
Heard Museum
https://artlinkphoenix.com/

Other attractions:
Live pro sports in your backyard
Endless events and concerts rolling through your neighborhood
Continual list of new restaurants opening, not the chains you get at desert ridge and kierland
Parks: Japenese friendship garden, Hance Park, City Park
Events: Viva Phoenix, McDowell Mountain Music Festival, Chile Pepper Festival, Beer Festivals, St. Paddy's Day festivals, and so many more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

This is a great post, and I agree. But (and this is a BIG but), the guy is coming from NYC. I'd venture to say that nothing in downtown is going to overly impress the guy. Your post would be awesome to someone coming from Billings, MT, but NYC? I see what the guy is getting at.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oak View Post
Hi all,

35 year old single male planning to move from NYC to Scottsdale in April. I've visited Scottsdale 2x in the past 3 months and took tours of a couple of different apartment complexes( 56 north apt, avion on legacy, Alt paradise ridge, the Stetson, San Travesia)but having a hard time deciding where exactly in Scottsdale I should chose to live. My budget is between $900-$1,200 for rent. I'll be working from home so work location will not be a factor. Plan is to start with a 6-month lease to test out until I know the different areas. I'm leaving towards North Scottsdale/Desert ridge area since that is the area i had spent the most time in during my visit since friends live nearby, but is another area better suited for a person in my situation. If anyone could recommend some areas, apartment buildings it would be greatly appreciated.
I know that no one place will check off all my requirements with my budget constraints but would like to get the most for my money. Some of my top factors are
A) affordability; would like to keep it to <$1200, I understand Phoenix might give me more options in the price range, open to that as well.
B) active social scene of single 25+: bars, restaurants, comedy clubs, fitness centers etc; but I also don't want beer cans in the hallways.
C) walk-able factor: I understand a car is a must, and it will never compare to the walk-able factor of NYC, but I would like to be able to walk to a few places like restaurant, grocery story,bar and leave the car at home sometimes.
D) Since summer will be here soon so would like a place where if I'm stuck indoors, the residents interact with each other or and have activities to do.
E) location: I know this will vary greatly depending on where a person plans to visit, being a new person in town, what is considered central where I can get to most places within a 20 min drive.
Depending on what you like to do you should absolutely checkout downtown Phoenix. It is the most walkable part of the city, if you like that along with any of the arts and cultural benefits of NYC I'm pretty sure Desert Ridge will have you bored out of your mind in no time.

Ask yourself these things before considering Desert Ridge or Kierland.

Do you want to be able to walk or have a short drive to unique concept restaurants by local chefs, indie movie theaters, live music, festivals, museums, professional sports, comedy venues, local performing arts venues, art walks, festivals etc?? If so, Desert Ridge and Kierland are not for you.

Old Town Scottsdale and Biltmore could be okay but I think downtown is edging ahead of even Old Town now with what's happening there and it's only getting better.

Don't take my word for it though, go visit downtown Phoenix, if you happen to be here on the First Friday of the month then for sure go to Roosevelt Row to see the Art Walk. If you're here during Viva Phoenix or McDowell Mountain music festivals check those out too. On any night checkout Bitter & Twisted, Copper Blues, Bianco, Mother Bunch Brewery, Copper Kettle, Hannys (make it to the basement of the Hanny's building), Blue Hound, Samus McCaffreys, Grand Central Coffee, Pomo Pizzeria, Angels Trumpet House, Desoto Market, Standup Live, Phoenix Public Market (also has the downtown farmer market on weekends), Matts Big Breakfast, Jobo, Bliss Bar, Milk Bar and so many more...

If you like what's unique about NYC I just don't see Desert Ridge or Kierland holding your interest very long. Downtown is where it's at IMO.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
This is a great post, and I agree. But (and this is a BIG but), the guy is coming from NYC. I'd venture to say that nothing in downtown is going to overly impress the guy. Your post would be awesome to someone coming from Billings, MT, but NYC? I see what the guy is getting at.
I never claimed it was going to hold a candle to NYC, I don't think many places do. But going from NYC to Desert Ridge would make me suicidal. At least downtown has culture, local influence, an arts scene, etc... If he enjoys any of that element of NYC then Desert Ridge or Kierland would royally suck. Old Town would be good too, but desert ridge and Kierland? Wow. I feel bad for him if that's the advice were handing out.

I don't even like visiting those places as long time resident, I just go when it's convenient for friends who happen to live up there.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,905,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I never claimed it was going to hold a candle to NYC, I don't think many places do. But going from NYC to Desert Ridge would make me suicidal. At least downtown has culture, local influence, an arts scene, etc... If he enjoys any of that element of NYC then Desert Ridge or Kierland would royally suck. Old Town would be good too, but desert ridge and Kierland? Wow. I feel bad for him if that's the advice were handing out.

I don't even like visiting those places as long time resident, I just go when it's convenient for friends who happen to live up there.
In his defense, that's the areas the OP was looking at because he's familiar with that area, and a desire to be close to friends up there, too. Downtown PHX is coming along well, but then again I wouldn't recommend it to anyone from NYC, either. Im pretty sure people from NYC are looking to escape the NYC madness and are attracted to the quietness that northern Scottsdale has to offer? Just a guess.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,416,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Though he's been here just a few times, he's interested enough in moving here so I wouldn't assume he's looking to be impressed with a cookie cutter NYC. I have friends in NYC and while some still live there/like it, more than a few over the years wanted out for various reasons, something completely different, anything but NYC, so it all depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area