Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times

Advertisements

I can tell you one thing, don't be a jerk about it or you will find yourself way worse off. You be a civil human because heck they could have taken all your money from the beginning and chose not to and because it never ends well when you treat people like crap.

You approach whoever is in charge and explain that you apparently had different views of what should of been done. You have found that they are too different to proceed. Then you give them a choice (because when you corner people they don't respond well). You say either I can pay you for the flooring and we can call it good or you can fix everything as I see fit and pay you for the work you've done and then we can part ways, if that isn't an option than unfortunately I will have to report you to A, B, and C agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 10:21 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,347 times
Great advice-thank you for the replies everyone. I will talk to them tomorrow and hopefully they'll be reasonable. Wow, this was an excellent lesson for me.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
This forum is a goldmine sometimes. Great insights in this thread.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 AM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Well, also don't assume a contractor is going to be responsive just because they are licensed. We hired a licensed contractor to do a job in our kitchen... replacing sinks and countertops and doing some tile work. Not really all that huge a project. Getting people to show up and do their job correctly was a nightmare. And then they expect to be paid in full when the work is "substantially complete", not completed to our satisfaction. I ended up having to pay the full amount, and then had to threaten them with an ROC complaint to actually get someone to come out and fix the problems with the job.

Read your contract carefully before you sign it. Ask them to drop if off or mail it, and do not be pressured to sign on the spot under pressure from a sales guy, who will always be asking you to "get in the system" so the work isn't delayed. Don't settle for any language in the contract that excuses them from responsibility for incidental damage.

I will think long and hard about signing another contract with any of these clowns, and would rather just do the work myself if it's something I'm capable of doing or learning.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Well, also don't assume a contractor is going to be responsive just because they are licensed. We hired a licensed contractor to do a job in our kitchen... replacing sinks and countertops and doing some tile work. Not really all that huge a project. Getting people to show up and do their job correctly was a nightmare. And then they expect to be paid in full when the work is "substantially complete", not completed to our satisfaction. I ended up having to pay the full amount, and then had to threaten them with an ROC complaint to actually get someone to come out and fix the problems with the job.

Read your contract carefully before you sign it. Ask them to drop if off or mail it, and do not be pressured to sign on the spot under pressure from a sales guy, who will always be asking you to "get in the system" so the work isn't delayed. Don't settle for any language in the contract that excuses them from responsibility for incidental damage.

I will think long and hard about signing another contract with any of these clowns, and would rather just do the work myself if it's something I'm capable of doing or learning.

This sets forth many of the reasons why the OP made a mistake by having NOTHING in writing.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
So at this point I don't think these clowns can do this correctly so that I can be satisfied – it seems like this is a learning playground for them.
Let's be fair here - they aren't the only clowns in this scenario. You hired them without vetting them, and without a contract. So you are learning as well.

By all means, if you don't think they are up to the task, fire them...but pay them what you owe for what they have completed.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Let's be fair here - they aren't the only clowns in this scenario. You hired them without vetting them, and without a contract. So you are learning as well.

By all means, if you don't think they are up to the task, fire them...but pay them what you owe for what they have completed.
I agree with this, though I would first negotiate for a lower amount based on the shoddy work, length of time, etc. The last thing you need is for them to come after you with a lawsuit because you didn't pay for work already completed.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
This is where it's going to be tricky. What you need to do first is try and find a reputable licensed contractor to come in and give you an estimate to fix things the right way. Try to get him to line item what needs to be fixed because of shoddy work from the previous contractor (that's might be tough) and also what needs to be done to finish your project. The first contractor really doesn't have a leg to stand on seeing as you both don't have anything in writing and if all or most of his work is sub par and you can get another contractor,two would be better, to verify this you may end up owing him very little. Every state has different laws so I'd also recommend contacting an attorney just so you know where you stand and it'll also give you leverage negotiating with your contractor now. It's a royal pain but you will be in much better shape talking and negotiating with your contractor over this mess if you do.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree with this, though I would first negotiate for a lower amount based on the shoddy work, length of time, etc. The last thing you need is for them to come after you with a lawsuit because you didn't pay for work already completed.
the O.P. is out of their league on this one - if they've been conned into doing a major remodel without even the barest of written contract, they most likely can't handle the bull-poop this semi-licensed hack is about to unleash on them when they try to avoid paying for shoddy work & damaged materials.

Advice? Cut your losses & stop answering the door, call a lawyer & post the lawyer's number on your front door for the contractor to call. Don't answer the phone unless it's your lawyer or a family member calling. Don't speak to the contractor yourself ever again. Don't let them in your house ever again. Retreat is a valid survival strategy if you don't know how to fight, and the o.p. doesnt know how to fight. It's not a put-down, it just is.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:51 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
They can be bonded without a license so first, make sure they are licensed. Document everything that isn't right, then fire them. You'll need to document the amount you'll pay and come to an agreement with them on it for the work they've done already. Make sure it's in writing because if they are licensed and you don't pay them what they think they are due, they can legally put a lean on your property.

Real Estate agents often hire cheap repair so that isn't who I'd take a recommendation from in the future. BTW, the fact that they told you they could do two bathrooms complete guts in a week was a red flag. That job would take longer for most contractors. Generally you'll do one bathroom at the time so there is one bathroom available for use, unless nobody lives there.

It might be hard to find a contractor who is good to fix their mistakes on the cheap. You get what pay for. If you were looking for a cheap remodel then you've already gotten it. I've never seen anyone get a good remodel off of a cheap contractor or illegal work. There is a reason they are cheap and make promises that aren't realistic. Good luck, I hope it works out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: