Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:56 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexethan View Post
I've tipped but most of the time I don't. I don't carry cash but that's not the reason as I can plan ahead if I want to tip. Tip your mom/wife who cooks for you for free lately?
I don't pay them for the food either, should I use the same logic there too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 04:01 PM

189 posts, read 230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If you think people that don't tip in a situation when tipping isn't part of the process are classless, then you don't. Since you claim to base your "decisions to tip on the service you receive", do you tip your dry cleaner when they do a nice job?
This. I think most posters above me have stated my position in tipping. I don't tip Uber drivers nor Lyft unless I receive some type of mind-blowing experience from my Lyft driver or take a water bottle if offered. But again, I would only tip in Lyft because it gave me the option to. I hate carrying cash and I'm not going to inconvenience myself to carry a couple of extra ones so that I can tip. The whole basis of ride sharing apps is cashless transactions.

But I was guilty of also leaving a tip when picking up food. Not only did I do it out of habit, but also because I felt guilty/cheap until I thought it out clearly. azriverfan's post sums it up nicely. Does everyone here tip their bank teller or the mail man?

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexethan View Post
I've tipped but most of the time I don't. I don't carry cash but that's not the reason as I can plan ahead if I want to tip. Tip your mom/wife who cooks for you for free lately?
Really absurd analogy.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:24 PM

25 posts, read 20,442 times
The argument about people making more money for Uber is false. People keep doing it because they don't understand the concept of cost of fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle, or the additional required auto insurance (or fines if they don't have it). All they see is, "Hey, I just got $20 in my hand that I didn't have an hour ago," without realizing how much of that is actually left when all the costs are taken into consideration. They're only looking at the short-term gain, not the long-term cost.

This is why I say the business model can't sustain itself. People do leave Uber and are mad as hell once they figure out what is really going on.

And the only reason Uber was ever able to pay more was because they were operating at a loss. If they want to make a profit, fares will need to go way up, and drivers will need pay and benefits, and then it will just be a cab company.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:33 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
With the Uber cab service, I do not tip. However, I think it is a little different with food delivery services. I really wish the Uber Eats app had a tip line because I would like to tip.
Surprisingly, I was reading that most people who use Uber Eats do NOT tip just like their ride service. I have a hard time believing this. If you use this service, do you tip?
For those of you living here, do you tip your driver for Uber Eats?
I've used the service three times and have tipped cash each time out of principle.

I didn't see this until now, but I wonder what the "principle" is here. Giving extra money to someone whether it's warranted or not?

Okay, I don't claim to know how this works, but I can only compare to tipping for things like grocery delivery where the guys may be wholly dependent on tips. In that case, you tip them also for the physical effort of walking, riding their bike at top speed, maybe climbing stairs. These Uber guys probably have some basic salary and do nothing remotely strenuous.

Seems to me that people are now tipping indiscriminately, whether out of "principle" or paranoia, for things that once never would have triggered a tip.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:54 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I didn't see this until now, but I wonder what the "principle" is here. Giving extra money to someone whether it's warranted or not?

Okay, I don't claim to know how this works, but I can only compare to tipping for things like grocery delivery where the guys may be wholly dependent on tips. In that case, you tip them also for the physical effort of walking, riding their bike at top speed, maybe climbing stairs. These Uber guys probably have some basic salary and do nothing remotely strenuous.

Seems to me that people are now tipping indiscriminately, whether out of "principle" or paranoia, for things that once never would have triggered a tip.
Now that in-app tipping is a thing, I think it’s a bit different. I tip on both rides and food deliveries now.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
to me, tipping is like paying your karma forward, especially to someone who isnt as lucky to have some of the things that I take for granted..
My landscaper was here to day, and planted an expensive tree for me; he quoted me a price, which I thought was fair, and he did a great job as always..
I gave him a 20 dollar tip, and told him to buy lunch on me; he had already quoted me a strong price for the tree and the delivery/install, but, for a variety of reasons, including how hard I see him work when its 90-110 degrees, I always offer him and his crew drinks, sweets, and, at times, tip them a few extra dollars, just because..

Its ok if you dont do this, or feel its the right thing to do, but, it makes me feel good, it makes my "supplier" know I appreciate a job well done, and sharing with those not lucky enough to have as much good fortune as we do in life is something that will make EVERYONE feel better...

Old 04-04-2018, 09:33 PM

300 posts, read 440,974 times
I use the in app tipping in Postmates and Grubhub, I probably do if I use UberEats ever, but most of the time I use Postmates. Max I will do is 15%, because that's just me, and I figure they're paid to deliver anyway.

I've only ever not tipped when a guy got lost in my condo complex, even though I gave him step by step directions that I normally get complements on.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I use the in app tipping in Postmates and Grubhub, I probably do if I use UberEats ever, but most of the time I use Postmates. Max I will do is 15%, because that's just me, and I figure they're paid to deliver anyway.

I've only ever not tipped when a guy got lost in my condo complex, even though I gave him step by step directions that I normally get complements on.
They get a small fee per delivery, think $2-5. The rest comes from tips.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 AM

102 posts, read 111,239 times
I would absolutely tip. You tip cab drivers, limo drivers, delivery services, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: