Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,427,476 times

Advertisements

Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory

I get it, repairs are needed on major interstates. But given this weekend we have high profile events with lots of out of town visitors to NASCAR, an LPGA tournament, some rawhide/music event, st patricks day and all the things going on with that, etc. with travelers coming in from all around the nation for these events, I find it odd that they would close a major interstate during an entire weekend/this particular weekend with such major high profile events going on just for this:

"A busy stretch of southbound Interstate 17 will be closed in Phoenix this weekend as crews begin to replace the freeway’s worn pavement with a new layer of smooth rubberized asphalt."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 01:32 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,615,262 times
Agreed. It has always baffled me why ADOT closes entire freeway stretches instead of just keeping one lane open. We are on a grid system with numerous detours, but those detours always seem to take much longer than the route that's closed. It would also be nice if ADOT did away with rubberized asphalt that has a much more frequent maintenance schedule than just standard asphalt or concrete. I get that the DOT takes pride in its freeways, but it would seem to me that it is more cost effective to just keep freeways bare bones.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:04 PM

38,983 posts, read 50,940,042 times
You make it sound like the whole darn freeway is closed. They are closing a two mile stretch in only one direction (SB). Not a very big deal at all. Weekend maintenance closes one road or another here just about every weekend. Plan accordingly and you will never know it's there.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Agreed. It has always baffled me why ADOT closes entire freeway stretches instead of just keeping one lane open. We are on a grid system with numerous detours, but those detours always seem to take much longer than the route that's closed. It would also be nice if ADOT did away with rubberized asphalt that has a much more frequent maintenance schedule than just standard asphalt or concrete. I get that the DOT takes pride in its freeways, but it would seem to me that it is more cost effective to just keep freeways bare bones.
Agree, keep at least one lane open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You make it sound like the whole darn freeway is closed. They are closing a two mile stretch in only one direction (SB). Not a very big deal at all. Weekend maintenance closes one road or another here just about every weekend. Plan accordingly and you will never know it's there.
Correct, it's not closed from Flagstaff to Phoenix of course which is why I quoted posted the part of the article which includes a map to show what's closed. Notice it's a "busy stretch" of I-17 that is closed that I quoted in the OP and indeed that will cause major backups with so many people coming into the valley for the events we have going on this weekend. And we are talking about closing a section of a major interstate for basically 3 days just to pave during peak visitor season here/big events going on. That's bizarre/unnecessary to me.

As for "plan accordingly", yes, locals can do this but those out of state travelers coming into major events like a golf tournament, NASCAR, spring training all over the place, etc., it's just a hassle for them and in my view paving is a non emergency situation that could have easily waited until we didn't have such high profile/major events with so many people coming in from out of state. It just smacks of unnecessary/bad timing in my book.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:35 PM

38,983 posts, read 50,940,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Agree, keep at least one lane open.

Correct, it's not closed from Flagstaff to Phoenix of course which is why I quoted posted the part of the article which includes a map to show what's closed. Notice it's a "busy stretch" of I-17 that is closed that I quoted in the OP and indeed that will cause major backups with so many people coming into the valley for the events we have going on this weekend. And we are talking about closing a section of a major interstate for basically 3 days just to pave during peak visitor season here/big events going on. That's bizarre/unnecessary to me.

As for "plan accordingly", yes, locals can do this but those out of state travelers coming into major events like a golf tournament, NASCAR, spring training all over the place, etc., it's just a hassle for them and in my view paving is a non emergency situation that could have easily waited until we didn't have such high profile/major events with so many people coming in from out of state. It just smacks of unnecessary/bad timing in my book.
Near 100 degree temps at NASCAR, golf, and the games will be a lot more of a problem for those tourists/spectators/participants than a two mile freeway detour.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Near 100 degree temps at NASCAR, golf, and the games will be a lot more of a problem for those tourists than a two mile freeway detour.
I agree....but let's not compound other unnecessary problems on top of that. And while weather can't be controlled/scheduled, bad timing/non-emergency schedule of road work can. It's not good for tourism/business in the valley to inconvenience those who are visiting when there's no major priority/reason to do so this time of the year. I'm willing to bet the pavement will last a month or 2 longer when the event schedule backs off and they can schedule the work then.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:48 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,233,570 times
I'd call ADOT and voice your concerns. That would be a lot more effective than discussing it here. Sometimes they do postpone work for various reasons. Perhaps they could explain to you what their thinking was on this one. Let us know if you do!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'd call ADOT and voice your concerns. That would be a lot more effective than discussing it here. Sometimes they do postpone work for various reasons. Perhaps they could explain to you what their thinking was on this one. Let us know if you do!
oh, it's just for a little discussion here to get various views/opinions on the topic in the world of CD. And the reality is I don't think ADOT gives 2 cents about my view anyways on such matters/not my place to even think about mentioning it.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:55 PM

4,057 posts, read 5,082,370 times
I don't see what the big deal is...so I17 is closed Southbound between Dunlap and Glendale. If you are going to go watch cars turn left and you are coming from N Phoenix, wouldn't you take the 101 around anyway? If you are coming from the East Side...you wouldn't go anywhere near that area. What is the big deal or are you just complaining to complain?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,918,356 times
AZ irks me in that regard. Most of the time they make good decisions to work on the roads during the weekdays, and in the late hours of the night into the early morning as to not affect traffic. But then there are closures like this one that make you wonder what the heck they are thinking. Same goes for downtown. There have been so many times I get up to Central and Jefferson just to see its closed. UGH!!!!!! Yeah, close the city's main artery on a one way (Jefferson) and force everyone to take small side streets which are immediately backed up due to all the re-routing. Oh, that gets my blood boiling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area