Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM

33 posts, read 34,014 times

Advertisements

I've thought a lot about this move. My heart is set. It seems theres more to do there as far as outdoors goes and more activities within driving distance than where I am now. The problem I have is I leave behind family. I will miss them. My heart is set for this move. Has anyone moved from Texas to the Phoenix area? How is everything going for you? Is it easy to get a flight home when you miss your family? I'm already hours away by car what's the difference? What do you miss most about Texas and what do you like most about AZ? And vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,913,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebpro5 View Post
I've thought a lot about this move. My heart is set. It seems theres more to do there as far as outdoors goes and more activities within driving distance than where I am now. The problem I have is I leave behind family. I will miss them. My heart is set for this move. Has anyone moved from Texas to the Phoenix area? How is everything going for you? Is it easy to get a flight home when you miss your family? I'm already hours away by car what's the difference? What do you miss most about Texas and what do you like most about AZ? And vice versa.
There are sooooooooooo many people from TX here. I cant drive 2 minutes without seeing a TX plate.

Looks like theyre all escaping the craphole that is aka Texas, too. I'm sure someone who has made the move will chime in. AZ is infinitely better in every way than TX, I think you will fit in just fine. Just drink lots of water when you're outdoors, and in the summer limit your activities to morning or dusk, its just too hot mid day to risk heat stroke. Good luck on your move!

Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,691,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
There are sooooooooooo many people from TX here. I cant drive 2 minutes without seeing a TX plate.

Looks like theyre all escaping the craphole that is aka Texas, too. I'm sure someone who has made the move will chime in. AZ is infinitely better in every way than TX, I think you will fit in just fine. Just drink lots of water when you're outdoors, and in the summer limit your activities to morning or dusk, its just too hot mid day to risk heat stroke. Good luck on your move!
Solid advice right there!

I'd add, go explore the state, don't be shy to join meetups and other groups and get involved with the community a bit so you get a sense of owning part of Phoenix. We're full of transplants but as we mature as a region people are making Phoenix a pretty spectacular place to live ranging from everything from the arts to sports to farmers markets. You didn't tell us much about your interests so any additional information about what you like to do would be helpful.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM

4,056 posts, read 5,074,802 times
Well...I would venture to say that if you move...and the family comes out to visit...it may not be long before they are here as well. Kind of happened with my In-Laws. Now the question is how to get a weekend to ourselves.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:38 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,573,826 times
It continues to surprise me that people move to Arizona from Texas -- or vice-versa. I realize that there are differences here and there, but few, in my opinion.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM

483 posts, read 407,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebpro5 View Post
I'm about to make the move from SA to Phoenix at the beginning of May! I've already lived in Phoenix/Glendale twice though. I moved away from my family but I talked to them frequently and even flew out to visit. My brothers came to visit me as well. I feel like from my previous experience living in AZ that it was much easier for me to get settled and on my feet. This is one of my reasons for leaving TX. For me it's just something about living in the desert that I can't put my finger on. I think you'll be fine just visit your family and invite them to visit you!

Old 03-21-2017, 05:07 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,826,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
For me it's just something about living in the desert that I can't put my finger on.
Maybe freedom.

Or lack of stifling humidity.

Congratulations on your upcoming move.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,691,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
It continues to surprise me that people move to Arizona from Texas -- or vice-versa. I realize that there are differences here and there, but few, in my opinion.
Few differences? Between the big cities of Texas and Arizona? I'd say the geographic differences are huge the weather is quite a bit different as well. I'm guessing you may be talking politically?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 PM

483 posts, read 407,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Maybe freedom.

Or lack of stifling humidity.

Congratulations on your upcoming move.
Maybe, thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,681,103 times
As BIG CATS already stated, there are lots of Texas plates rolling around the valley. I just had a family move on our street from Texas. You have endless outdoor activities here all year around. Summers are really hot and it may feel like your skin is baking at times, but it is still doable. The toughest part about summer is how long it stays hot. It can still be 100 degrees on October 31st. Oh but after that you will quickly get spoiled by the winters here.

Shouldn't be too difficult to hop on a plane for a two hour flight to see your family when you need to. When are you planning to make the move? Do you have a job? Apartment? What put of the valley are you looking at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area