Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,138,339 times

Advertisements

Chandler and Gilbert are pretty homogeneous...as are many of the 'Burbs in the Phoenix area. If you are looking for an RN position I would look at St. Joes (Dignity Health) and then look at housing in Roosevelt Row or in that area...or Tempe adjacent to the light rail for an easy commute. Gilbert/Chandler/Mesa, while there are apartments available and other hospitals in the East Valley, are not hotbeds of "singles" activity. I wouldn't get locked into a house or where you are setting down roots quite yet until you know you can deal with the heat and being away from Family. If you can...then you can start looking at where to buy vs. rent and have the time to explore the areas.

Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglefan View Post

I definitely would not be doing it just for roads. It's just another pro/con I listed. It would be mainly for the weather, different experiences, and I love the setting/geography. I certainly hope I did not give the impression that I would leave them for roads lol.

I know its not just for roads, I was using it as an example. Rather, lets say, material things. Weather is a pro, it really is. Come out in late June and see if you can handle it. I always recommend that to newbies. PHX probably has the highest transient population in the nation. People come here, love it for a couple years, then leave because the heat lasts too long and is too intense for many.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:11 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,160 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm sure you guys get this type of thread ALL of time so for that I apologize but I figure you all are probably pros at it at this point. Here's my story and from there I'd like some advice.

I'm from Michigan. I enjoy the summers here, however I despise the winters. I'm not really a big boating person so I could do without it. I wouldn't want to go to the southeast because I dislike the humidity. Granted videos and pictures can only do so much but I love the terrain and landscape from what I've seen of Arizona. I'm not trying to get overly involved in politics but it does play a part, while Michigan isn't a particularly anti-gun state it sounds like Arizona has one of the biggest states for gun culture which is a HUGE bonus to me. I handle the heat well and let's say I felt it was too hot during the day, well I wouldn't mind walking out at night and having it be 80-90 degrees I'd feel fine during the summer months, as opposed to not wanting to step outside 25-50% of the year any time of the day here. And the roads here suck and I've heard the roads in Arizona are pretty good (can anybody confirm?)

I am 29 years old and am an RN with a few years of experience at a hospital that I enjoy and it pays well enough for me despite it being one of the lower paying hospitals in the area, but based off of a google search it seems like the average pay in the Phoenix area is higher than the average pay in the metro Detroit area. So in other words I'm sure I would not have an issue getting a job. I'm single and don't have any kids so I don't really have any commitments in that regard either. I don't currently own a house but am saving up for one and plan to buy in the next year or two.

Here is the only thing holding me really back from at least wanting to give it a shot. My parents, my brother, and my two closest friends. All of them I am close with and in that regards I'd be coming here completely by myself which I am sure could get lonely and I would feel bad for "leaving" the people I just mentioned. I'm a nice guy (this is what others tell me) and I like to be sociable (in certain situations) but I hear that people in the west coast can be very private and aren't as sociable. Does it feel essentially impossible to meet with people?

If I were to move it certainly seems like the east side of the valley is the way to go. Scottsdale looks too costly for me. The rest that sound good to me would be Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, and Gilbert (I'm assuming this would be most people's list for east valley). I'd prefer to be around an area with shops, gym, and areas to hang out and meet others. I would also prefer to not be around only elderly, retirees, or exclusively married families. In other words I'd like people that I have some in common with and can form friendships, relationships, etc. Any advice in regards to that or pros/cons or other general advice on the towns I listed?

I know it's a lengthy post but wanted to get a lot of info out that I can think of right now. Any and all advice in appreciated.
Come! AZ is the right place for you! The roads are way better than the Midwest (I lived in WI and MN), people are the same everywhere so it will be up to you to meet others and become sociable. You can do that at church, clubs or the workplace. Gyms are a magnet...which is annoying in my opinion.
Jobs are great in your field. So.....picking a place to live is the decision. East Valley, most definitely. South of 60.
Good luck!

Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,042,545 times
Quote:
I handle the heat well and let's say I felt it was too hot during the day, well I wouldn't mind walking out at night and having it be 80-90 degrees I'd feel fine during the summer months

Keep in mind, those are typical overnight lows in the summer, at 4am or 5am. Evening temps can be around 100.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
As usual, the "where to live" question is answered with another question "where will you be working?" Commutes can be quite long, so it is always advised that you live near work if you can.

As for the east valley, I was also led to believe that it was "the place to be" and after I moved there and lived there for over a year, I found it wasn't. I have lived here under 4 years but I have lived in 3 different parts of the metro before finding where it works best FOR ME. I would definitely recommend renting for at LEAST a year, maybe 2 or 3, before you make a commitment to buying. You may end up like me, learning the "place to be" wasn't the "place for ME."

As for leaving behind friends and family? My opinion is this: You gotta do what you need for YOURSELF. Don't stay in a place you don't love just to be geographically near other people. The world is a smaller place than it once was with the ease of communicating via Skype, Facebook, etc. And you will have a great place for friends and family to visit in the winter! (I moved here by myself, not knowing a soul.)

People on here always say weather is a terrible reason to move someplace, but it seems to be at the top of everyone's list when they do come here from cold weather places. It was my #1 and I have not regretted it. We just had a gorgeous weekend of sunny skies, temps in the upper 70s/low 80, light breezes...I was laying out by my pool. It does get hot in the summer but it may not be as bad as you think! How you tolerate it is a personal thing. I tolerate it well, so I am fine with it.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM

33 posts, read 34,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
IMO, leaving family for better roads and warmer weather isn't worth it. Family is the ONLY thing you have in life, don't leave them for smoother roads, its just not worth it.
I already live 3 to 6 hours away via car so 3-6 hours via plane what is the difference? As long as I can afford the flight. I have a cousin that flies from Florida and I don't see my family very often as it is. Just once in a while. Nothing would really change.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebpro5 View Post
I already live 3 to 6 hours away via car so 3-6 hours via plane what is the difference? As long as I can afford the flight. I have a cousin that flies from Florida and I don't see my family very often as it is. Just once in a while. Nothing would really change.
I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the OP.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
[quote=BIG CATS;47648359]I know its not just for roads, I was using it as an example. Rather, lets say, material things. Weather is a pro, it really is. Come out in late June and see if you can handle it. I always recommend that to newbies. PHX probably has the highest transient population in the nation. People come here, love it for a couple years, then leave because the heat lasts too long and is too intense for many.[/QUOTE]

PHX is a great place if it's your cup of tea. The above comment really captures a lot of what happens out here. Can you come out and see it, preferably in July?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:11 PM

43 posts, read 48,591 times
Quote:
I'll take a look at south Scottsdale. Are there any "bad" areas of Scottsdale like run down or anything? I heard that in all sorts of places of the Phoenix area you can be in a good area of town and then a couple blocks away be in a bad area of the same town.

Why would you advise against Mesa, Chandler, or Gilbert? I'm not opposed to having a family someday but it's not something I see in the immediate future.
As you get to the far southern part of Scottsdale (near the border of Tempe), there are a few areas that are rundown. But even those areas aren't too horrible.

Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler is a sea of suburban sprawl. If you were looking for a nice large home for your family, I'd say it's a great area. But if you're looking to be closer to other 20/30-yo singles, then Tempe, Scottsdale, or central Phoenix are better choices. That's where you'll find the majority of bars, restaurants, sporting events, etc.

But as others have said, it all depends on the location of your job. The Phoenix area is huge, so you'll probably want to live fairly close to your job.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 PM

33 posts, read 34,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the OP.
Maybe OP has a plane ticket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area