U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM

58 posts, read 125,545 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what is the average Home Owners Association fees in Phoenix. And what does it normally include. I had never experience living in a community that has HOA fees. I know it depends on the place where the community is located, but I want to narrow it down from Expensive Areas to more affordable. What builders are known for high fees and is it worth it?THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,263,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaribu2000 View Post
I was wondering what is the average Home Owners Association fees in Phoenix. And what does it normally include. I had never experience living in a community that has HOA fees. I know it depends on the place where the community is located, but I want to narrow it down from Expensive Areas to more affordable. What builders are known for high fees and is it worth it?THANKS!!
Homeowner Associations are very common in the Valley of the Sun. Most new or newer subdivisions, and all Master Planned Communities are governed by Deed Restrictions hence the HOA's to enforce those CC+R's.

As for the fees - it will depend upon the subdivision and the amenities that that subdivision offer to the property owner.

This said, Common Area Maintence - parks, playgrounds, common area landscaping are often an included item in HOA fee.

The fees themselves will often run from a few dollars a month - $20 to $30 to higher amounts like $125 or more (usually found in guard gated communities).

Check around. Ask questions.

Good luck

Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM

68 posts, read 136,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaribu2000 View Post
Well, I agree with the above post, the fees vary. But some of these HOA's are big pains in the butt literally. You might want to ask some other residents wherever you move to about how strict their HOA is..Take for instance when me and my husband first moved here we rented in a fairly normal priced neighborhood. Its a good thing it was just a rental because the HOA was a nightmare, One weed in your yard and they're complaining. One time we left the trash can down at the curb FOR A DAY and we got charged $25.00. We now have bought a house in a NON HOA community. Make sure you ask your neighbors how the HOA is before you move in. Lots of luck!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 PM

58 posts, read 125,545 times
Thanks for the Advice!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM

6,066 posts, read 8,341,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgirl85220 View Post
Well, I agree with the above post, the fees vary. But some of these HOA's are big pains in the butt literally. You might want to ask some other residents wherever you move to about how strict their HOA is..Take for instance when me and my husband first moved here we rented in a fairly normal priced neighborhood. Its a good thing it was just a rental because the HOA was a nightmare, One weed in your yard and they're complaining. One time we left the trash can down at the curb FOR A DAY and we got charged $25.00. We now have bought a house in a NON HOA community. Make sure you ask your neighbors how the HOA is before you move in. Lots of luck!
HOA's cannot fine one for leaving a trash can out for one day. They are required to give a written notice, and normally the first one is a friendly reminder. If the can is left out again for a day, then they will give a notice of violation, and explain the fine procedure. If it is done again, then the fine procedure will begin. That is the law and all HOA's must follow it.

It's a simple matter if you can't bring your trash can in one day because one is not at home, then ask a neighbor to bring it in for you. All of our neighbors do that for each other.

As for one weed in the yard, well you know that's a gross exaggeration. And again it's back to the legal procedure that the HOA's must comply with in giving notices.

I'm on the board of directors for my master association and my sub association, and our boards operate in a very fair manner, in accordance with the state laws and the governing CC&R's.

The only problems we have are with the few people who feel that the rules are made for others; not for them.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 AM

8,571 posts, read 10,767,845 times
We live in Vistancia, N. Peoria and the HOA fees are around $75 a month. The ammenities are awesome, so we feel they are worth every penny.
The HOA fees in Florida are very high in comparison to Phoenix.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 AM

10,375 posts, read 13,714,655 times
I have a book that was given to me when we decided to buy our home in Surprise Farms. Yes it is restrictive as to what you can and can not do. I like that it is though. I like the idea that I won't have to spend my time working on broken down car's on my yard. Not that we will have a yard because it is all plants and gravel. But then I like the fact that I don't have to mow that front yard either. I like the fact that I won't be able to put an 80' antenna in my back yard so that I can talk on the ham radio. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about my boat getting stolen from my driveway because I can't park it there and will have to put it in a secure storage area. I like the fact that I will have to maintain my residence so that years down the road when we decide to sell the property will still be worth something and the future residents will have a nice place to live that is well kept up. I like the fact that the color of the home is similar to others in the area but still different and unique to our home and that I don't have to use my free time painting my home a cool shade of pink with purple and yellow trim. And all I have to do is pay $38 for the opportunity to get out of doing so many things. The freedoms that I am losing moving from California to Arizona. Where I live you can do all the things I won't be able to do in Arizona. I know that because I can look down the street and see everything I just told you about.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM

3,341 posts, read 6,211,672 times
I agree with Captain Bill on this one...

We have an HOA ($115 every 3 months by the way) and we have had some small violations, such as leaving the trash can out too long, leaving some shelves in the yard that were seen from the street, and a few weeds a while back...on all occurances we got a friendly notice first. Took care of everything...except the weed thing took a bit longer until we had someone come out to spray the yard so we got a second notice...but again it was just telling us that we need to take care of it or we would get fined. We've also gotten a couple notices about having a car parked in the street, but again, just reminders and never ever a fine.

I think they are pretty fair about how much notice they give you. I have never heard of anyone getting a fine on the first occurrence. If it happens, then perhaps you missed the first notice in the mail or didn't take it seriously.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,575,520 times
I like living in a community with an HOA. I think it helps keep the property values up, because it isn't a neighborhood full of weeds, junker vehicles, etc.

I've noticed that on average, older communities with HOA's charge around $30 - $35 per month. Newer communities seem to be charging more - $60 - $65. If the area has a lake, is gated, or includes front yard maintenance, the fee is, of course, higher.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM

599 posts, read 1,560,358 times
Having lived in AZ for a few years now, I highly recommend buying into a HOA community here. There's another thread in this website about "neighborhoods going down hill", and that is exactly why stricter HOAs are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area