Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:24 PM

117 posts, read 129,085 times

Advertisements

Is it easy to make friends in Phoenix? Here in Tucson, unless you go to U of A, it can be really hard. For a young single person, it is tough to meet other young people if you don't go to U of A. In Phoenix however, I noticed there is something for everybody. I was hoping Phoenix would be like it is in Houston where it's Texas friendly and people smile and hold doors and strangers talk to you.

Another reason I want to move to Phoenix is because it's the big city, and I've never lived in a big city in my entire life. I've only lived in small and medium sized cities. I want to live there because of the high end shopping, the massive highway system, and the airport is nice and flights are very cheap out of both Sky Harbor and Mesa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 05:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorandesert92 View Post
Is it easy to make friends in Phoenix? Here in Tucson, unless you go to U of A, it can be really hard. For a young single person, it is tough to meet other young people if you don't go to U of A. In Phoenix however, I noticed there is something for everybody. I was hoping Phoenix would be like it is in Houston where it's Texas friendly and people smile and hold doors and strangers talk to you.

Another reason I want to move to Phoenix is because it's the big city, and I've never lived in a big city in my entire life. I've only lived in small and medium sized cities. I want to live there because of the high end shopping, the massive highway system, and the airport is nice and flights are very cheap out of both Sky Harbor and Mesa.
It’s easy to meet people but it’s not like Houston as you perceive it. It’s a bunch of people ignoring each other and doing their own thing as best I can describe it

Old 12-01-2018, 03:12 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,705,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
They're friendlier than NYC, but only in a very superficial way. They're more likely to nod "Good morning" to you on the street but, for instance, when I fell, not a single person moved to help me up, which people would have done in NYC. Strangers in Phoenix are likely to have a casual friendly empty exchange, but in NYC people are more likely to have an actual brief conversation about something, like local political issues. Also, in business encounters, in Phoenix the friendliness is more likely to be counter-balanced by incompetence.
The one area that Phoenix really has is that the cashier are far friendlier across the board.
I hadn't realized this was an old thread, or else I wouldn't have bothered to reply. But as long as I did post, I can't resist adding this little postscript:

As further support of my opinion that any friendliness is superficial, but not necessarily likely to lead to help, I heard last night of a hit-and-run accident in Scottsdale, where the poor guy that was run over said that not one single person came to help him afterward.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-no...-in-Scottsdale

Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
But if you are on the typical subdivision street here, folks are going to drive up, open the garage and drive in. You will rarely see them except on trash day.
That has been my exact experience in suburban Phoenix as well, but I do nothing to change that, nor do I care to.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I hadn't realized this was an old thread, or else I wouldn't have bothered to reply. But as long as I did post, I can't resist adding this little postscript:

As further support of my opinion that any friendliness is superficial, but not necessarily likely to lead to help, I heard last night of a hit-and-run accident in Scottsdale, where the poor guy that was run over said that not one single person came to help him afterward.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-no...-in-Scottsdale
George H.W. Bush was run over in Scottsdale?

(Check your link!)

Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 PM

117 posts, read 129,085 times
I was talking to someone and I told him that people in Phoenix are friendlier than in Tucson and he told me that I was the first person to ever tell him that. He then went on and said how Tucson is friendlier and how people in Phoenix are uptight and not laid back. He also told me that it's very conservative up there and that Tucson is more liberal.

The trend I'm noticing here is rivalry. People here don't like Phoenix and people in Phoenix don't like Tucson. Also, maybe I feel the friendliness in Phoenix because I'm a city person and not a town person. That or maybe everybody has different experiences.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:41 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,633,311 times
Quote:
I was talking to someone and I told him that people in Phoenix are friendlier than in Tucson and he told me that I was the first person to ever tell him that. He then went on and said how Tucson is friendlier and how people in Phoenix are uptight and not laid back. He also told me that it's very conservative up there and that Tucson is more liberal.

The trend I'm noticing here is rivalry. People here don't like Phoenix and people in Phoenix don't like Tucson. Also, maybe I feel the friendliness in Phoenix because I'm a city person and not a town person. That or maybe everybody has different experiences.
An epiphany!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:21 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
But if you are on the typical subdivision street here, folks are going to drive up, open the garage and drive in. You will rarely see them except on trash day.

Yep, that’s about it. I don’t find people here in Pheonix particularly friendly at all, and just saying hello seems to unnerve many of the locals lol

Old 12-04-2018, 06:43 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,877,818 times
Quote:
The trend I'm noticing here is rivalry. People here don't like Phoenix and people in Phoenix don't like Tucson. Also, maybe I feel the friendliness in Phoenix because I'm a city person and not a town person.
There are one million people in metro Tucson - could you stop talking about it like it's Mayberry? It's a CITY. Not as big and sprawling as Phoenix, thank gawd, but a city nonetheless.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:

It has been my experience that you get what you give when it comes to friendliness. I find many places I have been to be "friendly" mostly because I am traveling, in a better mood, open and exploring and I am more friendly. My guess is that when you come to Phoenix you are more open and friendly yourself, so you approach and speak to people in a cheery voice and they reciprocate.

As for the Phoenix Tucson rivalry. I think it is mostly Tucson that has an attitude about Phoenix. You hear and see "Phoenix sucks" all the time in Tucson, but in all my years in Phoenix I have rarely heard anyone putting down Tucson in the same way. Maybe because many in Phoenix have never been there. I mean why would they? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area