Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:33 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times

Advertisements

Why did you move here? Job Transfer? Tired of cold winters?
Would you do it again or move someplace else?
Do you consider Phoenix "home"?
Lets here some stories!

Me:

Well after living in a small Iowa town for 18 years of my life, I decided that it was time for a change. I had been to quite a few major US cities such as Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc and yet Phoenix just felt...right. I loved the constant sunshine, the desert scenery, the down-to-earth vibe, and the friendly people that seemed to be from anywhere and everywhere. So I applied to ASU, got accepted and moved here 9 years ago; never looked back. I love it here and would definetly do it over again!

So what's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 AM

264 posts, read 1,085,891 times
I can answer this before I move:

1. Cost of Living is astronimically cheaper then where I am now
2. Sports year long!! Major sports teams for me is the ultimate!
3. I love the landscape
4. I love the heat and sun
5. It's close to L.A, SD, Mexico, Las Vegas and Many interesting spots in AZ
6. Mirrors my current town of Calgary in terms of suburban sprawl

Scouting Neighborhoods one month from Today, Moving in August.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Scouting Neighborhoods one month from Today, Moving in August.
Any certain neighborhoods in mind?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 14,876 times
Hello SpeedyAZ, I am also looking to move to the Phoenix Area. What do think of the Suprise AZ area? Looking for homes in the 175-225K area, which seems appropriate from the searchs I have done. Do you think the city is growing that direction? Thanks in Advance...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Hello SpeedyAZ, I am also looking to move to the Phoenix Area. What do think of the Suprise AZ area? Looking for homes in the 175-225K area, which seems appropriate from the searchs I have done. Do you think the city is growing that direction? Thanks in Advance...
Surprise is a nice area but it's quite a distance from the rest of the Valley. Personally I'm not a fan of West Valley, everything seems to far out and West Valley doesn't offer half the amenities of East Valley. If you live in East Valley, you really don't have any reason to leave East Valley unless you want to go to a football game.

As more people move to Phoenix over the coming years, I believe many cities in the West Valley will gain population due to their inexpensive home prices. Right now Surpise, Goodyear, Avondale are being hit pretty hard with declining home prices (good thing for you) but I expect them to level out before the end of the year and then slowly start climbing again. I'd say the coming months would be pretty good time to buy a home in Surprise.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM

264 posts, read 1,085,891 times
East Valley, Surprise #1, Peoria #2, Buckeye #3

I'd love Scottsdale but it's too pricey for just a name and nightlife (Which I don't care about)

I really don't care to live close to the core, it's not my style. It's pretty bizzare but I actually enjoy living a dinstance out. Plus i'm a Hockey fan and will probably going to many Coyotes games.

Surprise is the BIG #1 at this point. Glendale can also be thrown in their. I've got no interested in the Tempe/Mesa area.. Buckeye, I doubt i'd want to live their But I don't know anything until i've been to all the area's.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM

307 posts, read 954,181 times
Default Surprise, AZ

I've lived in Surprise for almost 10 years now. It grew from population 35K to over 100K now!

We enjoy living in Surprise...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
We used to go on roadtrips to Arizona and throughout the southwest every year growing up. We'd drive from Denver through the Rocky Mountains to Moab, UT, then down through Monument Valley, northern Arizona, Sedona (all in one day!), then go down to the Phoenix area (around twelve years ago my g-ma moved out to Sun City West), then up to Las Vegas and back through I-15 and I-70 back home. I've always loved Arizona and the southwest. In 2004, senior year of high school, I was offered a pretty amazing scholarship deal at ASU. Other schools that offered the same scholarship were U. of Nebraska, U. of Oklahoma. No brainer! Now I'm going to be graduating ASU this May, and I'm going into a one year MS in Accounting program at USC-- which means I'll be living in LA for one year! After that, I'm not sure; I might stick around LA after that for a few years if I happen to like it there, I might try to get recruited with an accounting firm in San Diego (I LOVE San Diego), or I might move back to Denver, my hometown (very likely). I probably won't be living in Phoenix again, although I won't say "never" because you never know! The heat is what did me in; everything else about Phoenix I can put up with, but I don't like throwing my life in the garbage can during the summers here. In my book, the summers are supposed to be the best time of the year, not the worst. I've also thought about relocating to Albuquerque, NM some day. I love NM, and I consider their climate to be the best of both worlds; four seasons, a little bit of snow, but the winter is easier to take than Denver and the summer is easier to take than Phoenix. In terms of the "big 4" accounting firms, Albuquerque is not really on the map, at least not yet, but I'm keeping my eyes on that place.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM

180 posts, read 656,042 times
I first moved here with my Parents in 1981. So I grew up here and considered it home. I went to college in Boston, but did not really like the North East.

I came back because I got job here. I did considered other places, but this job turned out to be rather good. I also learned to love more about the area that it just being home. I love the out door lifestyle and much rather deal with warm summers than cold winters. I also love the mountains and open spaces outside the city. I think If I lived some place with no mountains I would get bored very easily. I also love the people. In general the people are laid back fun. In the north east and in Boston you are either an elitist academic or working class. There seemed to be little in between. Phoenix has nice mix that allows me to co exist with working class people, professionals and upper class folks. There always seems to be some form of common ground we can share here. The divisions seem much more stark in other places.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
I was tired of the long winters and the rotten traffic back east. I love boating, I love the water, and I love Eastern summers, but the 8 month winter was wearing me out. I left VWashington, DC because it was just too much traffic and too expensive. I had the opportunity to live where I wanted to; an area that had a decent economy, ties to technology, ease of travel in and out of the airport, and close proximity to natural beauty and outdoor opportunities. Although there are other nice cities with nice weather, I wanted to try a desert climate for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area