Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times

Advertisements

Glad to see more knowledgeable folks rebutting this issue. Arizona has done a good job managing its precious water supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Actually, if I remember the predictions correctly, Phoenix is going to dry up by 1998 and become a ghost town.

I'm not joking.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:31 PM

37 posts, read 32,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
You are correct. We won't have any water. Move away and/or never consider coming here.
I'm a native.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
California is going to run out of water before we do.

It is also important to note that water usage is actually a class issue, with lower income using less gallons of water per capita per day than wealthy folks. It may seem obvious but this becomes more stark when you go to other Southwestern cities. Santa Fe and Albuquerque, as an example, use much less than we do. We average around 100 gallons per capita per day, whereas Santa Fe does about 75. That also has something to do with New Mexico's incredibly expensive water usage policy, which may even have more limitations in Santa Fe county. Albuquerque used a bit more than Santa Fe but less than us (most of Santa Fe is poor despite high housing costs). It's not rocket science to realize that New Mexico has less well-paying jobs than we do.

Vegas does quite a bit worse than us on this factor.

Salt Lake City, though not Southwestern but in a desert, uses about 200 gallons per capita per day.

I saw a study in California where there were areas in San Diego where the per gallon per capita per day usage was well over 500 by certain water districts, and places like Compton had 50. We would have similar things if we broke our water usage up by water district.

When we see places reaching as low as 65 when we are doing about 100 (Tucson has a lower figure than Phoenix by the way) it's obvious that we can still improve on our personal water usage. It's also important that while we have many policies on the books restricting development in certain areas (Phoenix and Tucson) to certain water sustainability programs politicians have chosen to look over them to drive more business, and help their electability.

And other posters have pointed out that the majority of our water does not come from the CAP. However, the majority of the counties up North and along the western edge rely on the CAP, some reaching near 100% reliance on the Colorado, we should focus on reducing water usage anyway, and reliance on the Colorado, as much as possible.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:39 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Yes

Old 04-10-2017, 11:55 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Well I live ON the Colorado River. And we laugh thinking about all yews downstream drinking what's in that water...

For starters Vegas dumps 2 BILLION gallons of treated sewage a year into Lake Mead. And I read somewhere the length of the river there are 34 sewage treatment plants dumping into the river. I used to swim in it. While it's probably a zillion times cleaner than the Mississippi or other rivers - if you want to get really grossed out go snorkeling.

But anyway. Unless Colorado gets about five years of heavy snow Lake Mead and Powell will never fill up again. There is too much pressure.

And when push comes to shove, the whole thing is liable to end up with State Guard troops facing each other down someday when whoever is upstream, meaning Las Vegas, decides to shut off the spigot and only give the rest what they don't use.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:21 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Buckingham View Post
I'm a native.
I know a lot of natives that for one reason or another seem to know less about the region then I do. Maybe they take it for granted having known nothing else or just make assumptions from stories other people tell them? I also noticed a lot of natives haven't explored the valley and sometimes even the state much, not sure why that is either.

So study up on your city so those of us who moved here don't have to teach you about your home.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Buckingham View Post
I'm a native.
Yet curiously you don't know how/why SRP, CAP, Groundwater banking or water rights work? You missed Arizona History in High School? You don't follow any of the current discussions on water conservation and water reports?

Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 AM

I guess I'll opt for the double wide modular home so that if all else fails, can be relocated for a fee.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Yet curiously you don't know how/why SRP, CAP, Groundwater banking or water rights work? You missed Arizona History in High School? You don't follow any of the current discussions on water conservation and water reports?
You actually believe what your owners tell you is the truth? Maybe you should investigate some other fabricated history, lets just say, google the real meaning of "Thanksgiving" You'll find it wasn't a celebration of what you think it is.
Anyway, just about anything with the GOV stamp on it equals a enormous distortion of the truth.

That said, If all the water wasting golf courses closed that would be a step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area