Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 AM

202 posts, read 408,417 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone. I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'd like some current recommendations for getting my AC replaced. It's 16 years old, and I'd prefer it swapped out before summer hits, just in case.

Thus far, I've had two companies come to give me quotes. One was ridiculously expensive, and the other was much more reasonable, but has yet to e-mail me the .PDF quotes, despite my asking him several times. If I have to chase you down to GET your business, how hard are you going to work once you HAVE my business?? So, yeah, I have no interest in dealing with that company anymore.

So if any of you have direct experience with a company, I'd very greatly appreciate your input/insight. It's to replace a 5 ton single zone AC, and gas furnace. I want it all replaced to be brand new. Also, if you of you would like to know what my quotes were, and through who, feel free to PM me. I don't want to mention them publicly.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
I understand completely, Eric . . .

A little over a year ago I was in a similar position and decided it was time for a New Heat Pump so the research began. I contacted five A/C Companies for an estimate and, believe it or not, only three showed up . . . two "no-shows."

Of the three, I chose ChasRoberts not because they were the least expensive / cheapest as they were right in the middle, but because they were the MOST PUNCTUAL as well as the MOST PROFESSIONAL from start to finish.

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely skip the research and immediately contact ChasRoberts. Their Performance and Customer Service were ABOVE EXCELLENT.

Good Luck and, by the way, I am not associated and/or related to them in any way.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Great! Thanks for your input!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:09 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
One recommendation that I would make is getting a furnace or air handler with an ECM blower, which are inherently more efficient than those with PSC blowers. That will boost your base 14 SEER air conditioner or heat pump to 15-16 SEER.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 04-17-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
The company I used was J.R.Perkins Co. As Bummer said, I chose them because they were the most professional and I do not regret using them. Other companies always seemed to be negotiating right up to the end, you could not pin them down on what they were going to do and what the out the door price was going to be. I also liked that they sent two installers, instead one one guy struggling to handle all the heavy equipment. When the job was complete the sales person (who I think was the boss) came back to check on the job, make sure everything was working OK and to help program the thermostat.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
One recommendation that I would make is getting a furnace or air handler with an ECM blower, which are inherently more efficient than those with PSC blowers. That will boost your base 14 SEER air conditioner or heat pump to 15-16 SEER.
Don't all newer models use ECM anymore? That was the impression I was under. Definitely something to watch out for, it seems. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
The company I used was J.R.Perkins Co. As Bummer said, I chose them because they were the most professional and I do not regret using them. Other companies always seemed to be negotiating right up to the end, you could not pin them down on what they were going to do and what the out the door price was going to be. I also liked that they sent two installers, instead one one guy struggling to handle all the heavy equipment. When the job was complete the sales person (who I think was the boss) came back to check on the job, make sure everything was working OK and to help program the thermostat.
Thanks! Another one to call!

Old 04-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
Don't all newer models use ECM anymore? That was the impression I was under. Definitely something to watch out for, it seems. Thanks!
No, a base model will still use a PSC blower.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:00 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Unless you run the heat *all the time* in the cool seasons, I'd be inclined to dump the gas furnace & just get a two-stage heat-pump. Electric rates are extra low in the off-peak off-hours timeframes when you /need/ heat & the separate furnace adds complexity & cost. I don't know if they even offer a two-stage compressor in a "straight cool" unit & it's a huge benefit when kilowatts = quarters.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Unless you run the heat *all the time* in the cool seasons, I'd be inclined to dump the gas furnace & just get a two-stage heat-pump. Electric rates are extra low in the off-peak off-hours timeframes when you /need/ heat & the separate furnace adds complexity & cost. I don't know if they even offer a two-stage compressor in a "straight cool" unit & it's a huge benefit when kilowatts = quarters.
Note that is only true with APS, which does not have different on-peak hours for summer and winter months; APS' TOU hours are noon-7pm year round. SRP, on the other hand uses a separate winter TOU schedule (defined by SRP as November-April) with on-peak hours being 5-9 AM and PM, with the former being typical heating hours for many homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area