Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha34684 View Post
My husband has a job offer there and i drive buses for the county here but changing careers. Here in Florida I'm paying 1600 for a three bedroom apartment. I seen houses way cheaper in Gilbert and phoenix. I heard Chandler was very nice as well. I will definitely keep you posted about the trip.
Where will husband's job location be? That is CRITICAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Where will husband's job location be? That is CRITICAL.

Absolutely. Don't underestimate this, and don't trust online maps to give accurate times at rush hour... at least that's been my experience. He needs to test drive the actual route at the times he'll be commuting. And keep in mind, there are more people here in the winter than in the summer; it does make a difference.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:24 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Someone mentioned an hour or 2 commute each way... Where si this>>> We have been to Phoenix and surrounding areas numerous times and been in rush hour (morning and evening) and weekend traffic.... Haven't seen the looong commute times anywhere... Heck we thought there wasn't even a rush hour a few times...

Old 04-22-2017, 04:54 AM

20 posts, read 14,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Someone mentioned an hour or 2 commute each way... Where si this>>> We have been to Phoenix and surrounding areas numerous times and been in rush hour (morning and evening) and weekend traffic.... Haven't seen the looong commute times anywhere... Heck we thought there wasn't even a rush hour a few times...
Google maps is tricky. I'm getting 30 mins to get from Gilbert to downtown Phoenix. I figure maybe double that time dealing with rush hour? Still, I would much rather work where I live. I work a county job here in Florida so hoping to do the same there. At least a city job

Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 AM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
That was me.... When I was still working I had it 15 miles from my house in SCW to the 101 and 7th Ave. Took a minimum of 45 minutes. That was only 15 miles. I worked with a guy who lived in East Mesa - his commute was 1.5 hours minimum. Recently met a guy who lives in North Peoria and drives to the 202 and South Val Vista everyday. He said it takes between 1.5 and 2 hours each way.

You obviously did not go from one end of the valley to the other via I-10 during rush hour! I'm sure our rush hour is nothing like that in SoCal, but then again, nothing here is like SoCal (thank goodness!).

Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 AM

I know I'm willing to do a 45 minute commute one way. That's the top

Old 04-22-2017, 01:41 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,618 times
You may have already mentioned it, but how old are your kids, and specifically the daughter that will be coming out with you?

Freestone Park is in Gilbert. It has something for just about everyone. It also has a little ride area for the little ones and even a train that goes around the park. However, the ride area is closed during the summer months.

The Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch is a great place to walk, learn about birds, flora and fauna and they even have an observatory open on weekends to learn about the stars, etc.

Fat Cats is a good place for indoor fun - reclining seat movie theater, bowling, arcade, glow golf and great pizza. There are several other indoor places for kids to keep busy in the summer - Amazing Jakes, Bounce U, Freestone Recreation Center.

There are also several waterparks, splash pads and pools available that are in, or not far from Gilbert.

Hale Theatre is a wonderful venue for live entertainment. It it's affordable and every seat in the house is good. It looks like "Little Mermaid" will be playing while you are here. It is located in the downtown Gilbert area.

Visit Arizona will give you an idea of what's going on throughout the state. Of course, in the summer most of the festivals are held up north where the weather is cooler. In spring, fall and winter, there are so many different things going on in the valley, it's often hard to decide what to do!

Enjoy your visit.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:15 PM

17,793 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Did you not read where I said bring plenty of water and play it safe? And hiking does not equate to climbing a mountain. There are plenty of trails in PHX that are flat as a board, and easily done by people of all ages if theyre prepared.

My point was that during the summer (when her kids are out of school) is when they will be subjected to the scorching heat. Her and her child needs to see what those types of temps feel like. Unless her child plans on spending her summer months out of school simply sitting under a tree with a drink, then she is going to be quite upset. Lets get real here, people.
There are a couple of other things to consider.

1) A three day trip does not prepare you for the length of the summer season. My experience in 8 years of Arizona summers was that you get burned out on the day after day of heat more than feeling like the actual heat itself is too much on a given day. But Florida also has long summers.

2) Hiking in the monsoon season opens you up to the risk of lightning strikes and flash flooding. Any outdoor activity during that time should probably taken in the early morning rather than late afternoon/evening.

I was interested in this thread because I did the exact opposite. Moved from Arizona to Florida in the summer. In the grand scheme of things both were equally miserable. The ubiquitous sun in Arizona and the constant dampness of Florida. Thankfully both places provide reprieves with the water to cool off in Florida and the mountains in Arizona.

Really enjoyed living both places.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
You may have already mentioned it, but how old are your kids, and specifically the daughter that will be coming out with you?

Freestone Park is in Gilbert. It has something for just about everyone. It also has a little ride area for the little ones and even a train that goes around the park. However, the ride area is closed during the summer months.

The Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch is a great place to walk, learn about birds, flora and fauna and they even have an observatory open on weekends to learn about the stars, etc.

Fat Cats is a good place for indoor fun - reclining seat movie theater, bowling, arcade, glow golf and great pizza. There are several other indoor places for kids to keep busy in the summer - Amazing Jakes, Bounce U, Freestone Recreation Center.

There are also several waterparks, splash pads and pools available that are in, or not far from Gilbert.

Hale Theatre is a wonderful venue for live entertainment. It it's affordable and every seat in the house is good. It looks like "Little Mermaid" will be playing while you are here. It is located in the downtown Gilbert area.

Visit Arizona will give you an idea of what's going on throughout the state. Of course, in the summer most of the festivals are held up north where the weather is cooler. In spring, fall and winter, there are so many different things going on in the valley, it's often hard to decide what to do!

Enjoy your visit.
The daughter that is coming with me is 17. My son's are 14 and 11. Thank you for all the useful information. I'm looking forward to visiting!

Old 04-22-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There are a couple of other things to consider.

1) A three day trip does not prepare you for the length of the summer season. My experience in 8 years of Arizona summers was that you get burned out on the day after day of heat more than feeling like the actual heat itself is too much on a given day. But Florida also has long summers.

2) Hiking in the monsoon season opens you up to the risk of lightning strikes and flash flooding. Any outdoor activity during that time should probably taken in the early morning rather than late afternoon/evening.

I was interested in this thread because I did the exact opposite. Moved from Arizona to Florida in the summer. In the grand scheme of things both were equally miserable. The ubiquitous sun in Arizona and the constant dampness of Florida. Thankfully both places provide reprieves with the water to cool off in Florida and the mountains in Arizona.

Really enjoyed living both places.
I see that you have move to OK. Do you enjoy it? I know Florida is hot most of the year which I enjoy. Weather doesn't bother me. The move isn't even about weather. Thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area