Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Mekong Plaza is a shopping center located just north of Broadway on Dobson in Mesa.
Thanks for the info--I'll find it. I hang mostly in that part of town in my frequent trips to PHX. If I move I'll be visiting there often.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That's what I was talking about when I said "around the corner from Mekong,"
This is actually funny to me, someone is complaining there are no Asian markets here and were getting confused because there are literally so many. So I can't even find the one for the sign I saw on the NE corner of Dobson and Southern but here are the 3 open within 2 miles of each other.

MeKong Supermarket (SW corner of Dobson and Main)
AZ International Marketplace (NE corner of Dobson and Broadway)
Asiana Market (NW corner of Dobson and Southern)

And a third major store is scheduled to open this summer.
H Mart is coming to the SE corner of Dobson and Main this summer
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...t-arizona.html

Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 PM

Just excusing myself I'm a Socal resident with PHX rental houses, so I make it out to PHX 2-3 times a year, but my business trips are of course focused on business. Each time I get more familiar with PHX but by no means as much as any resident.

Maybe PHX is sorta like NM claims: "The land of enchantment." I call NM the "land of entrapment" (although my several months in Santa Fe didn't entrap me, but almost) but each time I visit PHX I wonder more and more, "Just exactly why am I not living here?"

My thoughts are fueled by the high COL in SoCal, and even the high cost of gas (buck more here), and I'm not fond of living under a Communist government and their redistribution of wealth ideas. Hell, if my wealth requires redistribution, I think I'm more capable of that than some "gummint."

Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Just excusing myself I'm a Socal resident with PHX rental houses, so I make it out to PHX 2-3 times a year, but my business trips are of course focused on business. Each time I get more familiar with PHX but by no means as much as any resident.

Maybe PHX is sorta like NM claims: "The land of enchantment." I call NM the "land of entrapment" (although my several months in Santa Fe didn't entrap me, but almost) but each time I visit PHX I wonder more and more, "Just exactly why am I not living here?"

My thoughts are fueled by the high COL in SoCal, and even the high cost of gas (buck more here), and I'm not fond of living under a Communist government and their redistribution of wealth ideas. Hell, if my wealth requires redistribution, I think I'm more capable of that than some "gummint."
That's true on the flipside the lack of key services in Phoenix can be equally as frustrating, mental health services and education funding are usually short changed to the tune of ranking us near the bottom on both of these categories nationally. I'd really like to see a middle ground of some sort, by no means do I want California style government here but I also see the social costs we pay for not funding and managing these services properly.

I love Phoenix and never plan to leave but I'd welcome some changes at the state level to ensure our state can remain competitive with the top places in the country.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 PM

All I can say is that if you adopted the California model there would be no reason for me to move. What I want is to get away from California politics. For God, it's my native state! So sad to see it deteriorate so far. If you made AZ like CA I'd just stay in CA where I have a very nice premium home and no reason to move except politics and more importantly, economics.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
All I can say is that if you adopted the California model there would be no reason for me to move. What I want is to get away from California politics. For God, it's my native state! So sad to see it deteriorate so far. If you made AZ like CA I'd just stay in CA where I have a very nice premium home and no reason to move except politics and more importantly, economics.
Nobody is saying making AZ like CA.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Nobody is saying making AZ like CA.
Gawd I hope not! Two blights upon the land is worse than one. And worse, PHX is my Plan B. -- But I have seen a few suggestions and comments. I don't think that will fly though. Gawd I hope not. AZ is the nearest sanity I can find. You can have NV.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:08 AM

161 posts, read 240,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
This is actually funny to me, someone is complaining there are no Asian markets here and were getting confused because there are literally so many. So I can't even find the one for the sign I saw on the NE corner of Dobson and Southern but here are the 3 open within 2 miles of each other.

MeKong Supermarket (SW corner of Dobson and Main)
AZ International Marketplace (NE corner of Dobson and Broadway)
Asiana Market (NW corner of Dobson and Southern)

And a third major store is scheduled to open this summer.
H Mart is coming to the SE corner of Dobson and Main this summer
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...t-arizona.html
Lee Lee Supermaeket is on Dobson and Warner with another location also in Peoria. Though it's incorrect to make the statement that there are "no Asian markets" in Phoenix, it's also incorrect to assume that there are "literally so many" if the person is used to a culturally vibrant metropolitan area that has more than 4 Asian grocery stores around the entire city, specifically major ones like Ranch 99 or Mitsuwa, which Phoenix does not have. Hopefully H Mart's presence will spark that interest for those major Asian supermarkets to build here too. With Phoenix being very spread out, the location of the "many"/4 Asian markets in Phoenix aren't exactly around the corner for some unless you live in Chandler or Mesa. If you don't live in the East Valley, you have to drive a half an hour, if not more. It's sort of a pain to have to drive that far if you want dim sum, an authentic boba tea, or a specific ethnic ingredient to cook with, and I'm guessing the person that made the statement that there aren't any, doesn't live in the East Valley.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:27 AM

I haven't moved yet but when/if I do you can be sure I'll need all this info about Asian markets! I'm damned glad I cook Thai and Chinese.

Are there any sources for sushi grade fish: tuna, salmon, etc.? (I hate to pay the absurd prices in Japanese restaurants.)

My sashimi recipe:

intredients:
1.) sushi grade tuna
2.) wasabi
3.) soy sauce

method:
Cut tuna in slices. Put wasabi in dish. Mix with water if wasabi powder. Add soy sauce to taste. Dip raw tuna pieces in wasabi/soy mix, eat, enjoy!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:40 AM

179 posts, read 298,372 times
I know I'll never find the convenience of markets near me in other places. I am from a Japanese background and having sashimi/sushi grade fish and other Japanese fresh produce is important to me. I have Nijiya market only 1 mile away, both Marukai and Mitsuwa markets are only 15/20 min away (all 3 serve my Japanese food needs). I prefer to buy fresh fish from these markets only as well as online from Moro Bay and Alaska directly. I also shop at 99 Ranch (1/2 mile away) for some vegetables, sauces, etc and Korean market (4 miles away) for homemade kimchi, produce, frozen items. Besides these, I also shop at Trader Joe's, Sprouts, few Italian markets nearby for their meats, cheese, etc, our asian style bakery for breads (1 mile away) Costco, Safeway, Lucky, Rileys, etc.

For me, it is giving up on these conveniences but our area is changing rapidly moving up vertically in a way we don't like. It is getting packed here. Our house is an oasis but once we go beyond 1/2 mile radius, the pace is super hectic. It's a balancing act for sure. Give up on conveniences for a place we can live more comfortably with hopefully like-minded people. We really don't like going out here because it is always, always crowded, expensive, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area