Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 7,143 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Looking to move from the East Coast to AZ. I have been researching both West and East sides of Phoenix.
I want to be near (no more than an hour away) from a lake for recreation. I don't want to live on top of a neighbor but will most likely need to work in Phoenix or Scottsdale.So the commute can't be too bad. Schools are not needed, no children with me. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolak View Post
Hello,
Looking to move from the East Coast to AZ. I have been researching both West and East sides of Phoenix.
I want to be near (no more than an hour away) from a lake for recreation. I don't want to live on top of a neighbor but will most likely need to work in Phoenix or Scottsdale.So the commute can't be too bad. Schools are not needed, no children with me. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!
You really MUST determine where you will be working before selecting a place to reside. There are lakes within one hour on the West side, East Valley and North Scottsdale. And please remember, this is a desert - if fishing on those lakes is a high priority, it may not be what you expect.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:10 PM

210 posts, read 156,663 times
I'd also recommend getting comfortable with the idea of living on top of a neighbor. Homes are built on small lots here. Have you ever visited out here? I think it'd be a good idea to come out and do some of your research in person, as well.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 PM

Thank you! I am actually coming out in September. Trying to do as much research as possible so I am not overwhelmed when I visit. Fishing is not a priority, I am interested more in water sports (boats, jet ski). Agree with the job aspect. I can transfer to Phoenix with my current job if I wanted to. Seems like there is opportunity in Scottsdale for me as well.
Thank you!

Old 05-07-2017, 02:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
despite its reputation, Scottsdale is not the be-all-and-end-all of Phoenix living......it is nothing much more than a Phoenix suburb, albeit a relatively clean, low-crime, pleasant place to live......be flexible with your options on where to live as the Phx area is enormous and there are many very fine choices (keep in mind that there is a significant premium on real estate costs in Scottsdale - simply having a Scottsdale mailing address will add much to housing costs - (sorry, detroitn8v, but true!))......

is access to a lake your primary concern?....the primary choices for motorized craft in metro Phx are Lake Pleasant (largest in the Phx area, located NW of the metro area), Saguaro Lake (ENE of town), and Bartlett Lake (NNE of town)....other lakes upstream of Saguaro are possibilities, but more difficult to access......these are all reservoirs (dammed) and barely meet your one-hour access requirement, depending on which part of the metro you live in

Old 05-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Thank you so much. I am totally flexible with location and cost is of course an issue. There are too many options! lol

I have been looking into Lake Pleasant but didn't know of the others. Water is def a priority, we have a boat (that we will not be bringing) and spend the summer at our beaches. I know I won't get a beach, so the lakes will be just fine.
I am going to look these lakes up.
Thank you

Old 05-07-2017, 04:05 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Just a warning on the congestion on those lakes...AZ has one of the highest boat ownership rates in the country. There are only so many lakes...I am sure you can do the math.

Good luck on your search.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:16 PM

Good point... Thank you!

Old 05-07-2017, 06:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
despite its reputation, Scottsdale is not the be-all-and-end-all of Phoenix living......it is nothing much more than a Phoenix suburb, albeit a relatively clean, low-crime, pleasant place to live......be flexible with your options on where to live as the Phx area is enormous and there are many very fine choices (keep in mind that there is a significant premium on real estate costs in Scottsdale - simply having a Scottsdale mailing address will add much to housing costs - (sorry, detroitn8v, but true!))......

is access to a lake your primary concern?....the primary choices for motorized craft in metro Phx are Lake Pleasant (largest in the Phx area, located NW of the metro area), Saguaro Lake (ENE of town), and Bartlett Lake (NNE of town)....other lakes upstream of Saguaro are possibilities, but more difficult to access......these are all reservoirs (dammed) and barely meet your one-hour access requirement, depending on which part of the metro you live in
I agree with that. Scottsdale typically does carry a higher price per square foot than most other Valley cities. I take umbrage to the notion that people pay more JUST for the Scottsdale address. With that premium comes come a lot of value to those that care about the amenities that Scottsdale has to offer. Not everyone sees value in it, but certainly many do.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:23 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolak View Post
Hello,
There are reasonably-priced homes in Scottsdale. I found this one the other day and was intrigued by it. It's on nearly an acre, so there's room for your boat, your RV, your whatever-you-want. And it has easy access to 101.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...zpid/54346_rid

Further south you will find homes priced lower than this but on postage-stamp lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area