Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM
HRW HRW started this thread

83 posts, read 88,034 times

Advertisements

Greatly appreciate your suggestions. My wife and I returned to the US two years ago and retired to a large city in the Pac NW. After two years here, we are closely looking at moving to the Phoenix area. Main reasons being - the weather, found we do not like living in the middle of a city, and, while people are friendly, it is difficult to establish closer relationships. Also, my wife wants to be close to horse boarding and trail riding

We recently spent time in the Phoenix area, mostly looking in the Anthem, Cave Creek and Carefree areas. We would like to find a place in a gated community that has a community center (gym) and pool. It would be good if the community had some activities to promote social interaction. Our budget is $550 $575k.

Any thoughts on developments in Cave Creek, Carefree or North Scottsdale, or other places? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
Greatly appreciate your suggestions. My wife and I returned to the US two years ago and retired to a large city in the Pac NW. After two years here, we are closely looking at moving to the Phoenix area. Main reasons being - the weather, found we do not like living in the middle of a city, and, while people are friendly, it is difficult to establish closer relationships. Also, my wife wants to be close to horse boarding and trail riding

We recently spent time in the Phoenix area, mostly looking in the Anthem, Cave Creek and Carefree areas. We would like to find a place in a gated community that has a community center (gym) and pool. It would be good if the community had some activities to promote social interaction. Our budget is $550 $575k.

Any thoughts on developments in Cave Creek, Carefree or North Scottsdale, or other places? Thanks
I would say one of the Sun City communities would be worth looking at. My friends have a place in Grand. I spent a week with them. It was nice and has the community aspect as well as the activities, etc...how old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
Well if you want to be close to horses, then the north valley, Cave Creek, North Phoenix, Anthem, even some N. Scottsdale areas will all work for you. Since you want an active gated community, Anthem Country Club certainly fills the bill. It has a very active community with lots of amenities and your budget will net you a very nice house.

Other areas include Lone Mountain or Monte Vista in Cave Creek where you can buy a newer (or new) home. These communities have fewer amenities (no central clubhouse or community pool) but nice parks and open space and the Desert Foothills YMCA is just up the street, it is a magnet for social activities in this part of the valley. Your budget will be a mid-point in these communities.

If you will be satisfied with a smaller home, 1800-2200 sq ft, you can look at Terravita (golf, tennis, Country Club) or Winfield (Country Club, tennis) in N. Scottsdale. Both have very active social groups and great amenities.

Other N. Phoenix communities include Tramonto, Sonoran Foothills, and Dynamite Mountain Ranch which have both gated and non-gated sections and a mix of amenities.

All of the above areas are just minutes from the north valley horse properties in Cave Creek and Desert Hills so you will have plenty of options for boarding your horse(s).

Last edited by AZJoeD; 05-08-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the input. We are not interested in retirement community, such as Sun City. Prefer more diversity in ages. I will check out the places suggested

Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 PM

494 posts, read 501,535 times
Look at any of the DMB-developed communities:

WEST SIDE: Verrado (Buckeye), Marley Park (Surprise)
EAST SIDE: DC Ranch (similar to Verrado but more $), Eastmark (Mesa Area)

You'll find the age diversity, active social calendars, age diversity. Go to DMB's website: www.dmbinc.com.

Each community is nice and well-planned. I own a home in Verrado and plan to retire there.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
I wouldn't limit yourself to DMB only communities, they are nice communities but there are many others just as nicely planned. I'm not sure DC Ranch will have much in your price range (unless you are OK with an attached Townhouse or Patio Home), and the others mentioned are far from where you mentioned you want to be.

Anthem Country Club certainly would be in your range, and if you like that area I would check out other communities in the same area such as Norterra and Sonoran Foothills. Other communities in the Scottsdale area that might fit what you are looking for are McDowell Mountain Ranch and Grayhawk. I'm sure a Realtor in the area can chime in about the other specifics such as gated communities.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:49 PM

Thanks, we liked Anthem country club, but think that the HOA and social membership fees are rather high. I realize that there is quite a bit offered for the fees, just not sure if we want to pay that much. I think I saw one place at DC Ranch in our price range. I also will check the DMB website. We will do another visit next month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area